HIB ear and eye infections - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 05-05-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
 
girlsmamma2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds (4) and dd (5) are both on antibiotics after getting both an ear and eye (pinkeye) infection cultered as HIB but they didn't type it. They both did not recieve the vax for it. I also seemed to have picked it up but for me it's different, it was a majorly sore throat for a few days with hurting swollen lymph glands, that seems to have gotten better and now I'm just left with a slight cough and the sniffles, watery eyes etc.

My other two, my oldest dd 7, had all her HIB shots and hasn't come down with this yet. My youngest 18 months of course "just" stopped breastfeeding a few days before this all happened but so far he has escaped it also. I"m hoping it'll stay that way with the protection being from the shot and nursing I'm hoping. Forget how I now am questioning in a big way myself and not vaxxing for this, actually I had planned to do it for my 4 year and 18 month old this summer, now this. Cannot believe it. i could kick myself, yes it may not be type B but the vax seems to have helped my oldest avoid it.

My question is, even though it's not bad for me now, should I be on antibiotics too so this doesn't keep coming back for them once they finish their antibiotics? I'm getting better but will I reinfect them because I haven't been on antibiotics? I don't want it to turn invasive or be on yet another set of antibiotics, this is the first time for both of them. I'm totally freaked I'll be the source of infection for them and living together in such a big family is similar to being in daycare. Will they have antibodies from this so it helps them since it is bacterial? I don't know what to do. Or will it keep coming back again? What if I'm not better by the time they come off their antibiotics or my dh gets it? Is it like a cold, they can't catch the same thing twice, or can they get it again and again. If so how does the vax protect them, is them having it like getting the vax or not because of the antibiotics? help anyone?

thanks, i'm really concerned. I've never had my lymph glands swell like that and it was downright scary.
girlsmamma2 is offline  
#2 of 5 Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 PM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry you are all having to experience this

I would first tell you that you should not second guess yourself about the vax. Since it was not typed, to do so is pointless IMO.

I would ask the doctor the questions you just asked here in terms of whether or not you should be on abx. My guess is if what you have is the same as what they have then yes, you should be.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 05-05-2010, 05:30 PM
 
sbgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, one point of reassurance. We had this too when my boys were two-ish and our pediatrician told me that the eye/ear combo is always non-typeable HiB. I remember googling and coming to the same conclusion. The HIb Vax is the invasive strain--not non-typeable. There is no vax for this. Put it out of your mind.

Non-typeable Hib is not usually the culprit in invasive disease. Many childhood ear infections are this bug--unles the kiddo also gets eyes or the ped. cultures no one is the wiser. I think I might have read when they do culture it's the most common. I don't know for sure. But basically this isn't as worrisome as we think when we hear Hib--it's not that bug. In fact, our pediatrician recommended we do a "wait and see" with it just like her general recommendation with any pediatric ear infection. One kiddo was better in 24 hours and the other I don't remember but he got better to on his own.

As far as your infection I wouldn't worry. You don't need antibiotics for sure. Their bodies will develop resistance from their own illness, yes. That's how bacterial infections work actually. It's the constantly mutating viruses (colds, flu, etc.) that you can keep getting though those are actually different strains. They won't get this one again essentially. It's possible of course but actually I'm not at all sure this is responsible for your symptoms as I think most adults have likely had this prior--I think I read 3/4 or something like that. I bet your husband is immune. Niether my husband nor myself got this from our boys. Neither did a friend of mine nor her kids and we played together the morning my son came down with this (during the playtime I noticed his eyes starting to goop sort of thing and we went home but her kids had to have been exposed). Again, there is no vax for this bug and it's not (at this time, the vax for invasive Hib may change it actually in time but so far it hasn't) generally responsible for serious infections in healthy people (i.e. in an immune compromised person for example any infection has potential to be serious...I'm talking about your average healthy child).

Relax. It's ok. Do probiotics with those antibiotics--three hours after every dose and then again half way between doses if you can. Do probiotics when they are finished as well. Culturelle is widely available and great with antibiotics. When you're done switch to a probiotic that colonizes (Klaire labs complete is a great one, kirkman labs sells some too). You want to recolonize them in some way.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

sbgrace is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 05-05-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
girlsmamma2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh my gosh. i just put in a call to the doc. i feel like crying after reading your post, sbgrace. I've been feeling like a horrible mom especially since my vaxed one is fine. actually this vax is the reason we started dealying because of her reaction to it. here i am feeling not only am i an awful mom but then I'll be the source of their reinfection and another round of antibiotics. I'm totally stressed. my kids have never been on antibiotics, never had ear infections ever. The second doc said my older dd, 5, might actually drain the fluid but i couldn't take the chance.

I am glad to know also that their bodies will recognize this infection. I didn't know if the antibiotics would hinder that especially since i caught it early in both of them and the doc praised me for bringing my son in before it got much farther. she was very matter of fact, told me what it was before the culture came back but still. didn't make me feel any better. Then when my lymph glands flared up so intensely it really made me worry. I'm so glad to know your boys got thru this and your ped actually thought it was ok to wait it out. I did think that if my dd had seen the original doc she might have done the same thing but didn't feel like i could chance it. I thought I'd have had this too but some of my symptoms are too much in common so I think it's the same just presenting different and as a cold.
thanks so much for your reassurance. I've been a mess.
girlsmamma2 is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
 
girlsmamma2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well dr's assistant called back and said I don't need to go on antibiotics if I don't have green drainage from nose or something. That wasn't exactly my question but I guess I need to quit making this so dramatic, I just feel worried because it's any form of hib but I guess there are many bacterias out there to worry about. so I guess I'll get my 2 through it, hopefully get over it myself and then cross my fingers we are done, my other 2 don't get it and it's overwith?

I was thinking of taking my son in for a follow up check like they suggest tomorrow. Should I do that or just wait until his well child check in a few weeks? I guess I need to see what his ears are doing and if the pus is gone?
girlsmamma2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off