Calcified Arteries in the neck - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-12-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw my chiropractor today and had some neck x-rays. She found two calcified arteries in my neck. One more so than the other. She said it is typically nothing to be worried about, but is something to keep in mind. She said most never know they have them. Symptoms are dizziness and light headedness, she said. I asked if it is related to diet and she said not. So, I thought I would look it up online, and all I can find about it is in relation to coronary artery disease, or atherosclrosis. I wanted to check to see how much I should keep it in mind, and if I have done anything that might have attributed to it. Wondering if anyone knows anymore about it than I do.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 7 Old 05-13-2010, 12:58 AM

I would get some labs done and make sure you get your c-reactive protein checked.

xoxoxox

#3 of 7 Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM

May I ask how old you are? Do you have diabetes? Do you smoke? These are the 3 main causes of calcified arteries. In the neck, if they are showing up on x-ray I would assume they are the Carotid Arteries they are seeing with calcifications? A Carotid Ultrasound may be a good test to have done. It is non-invasive and safe and may give you more answers than an x-ray. Typically x-rays don't show artery calcification. And from what I've been taught (I am an ultrasound tech who scans carotid arteries) diet does play a factor often.
#4 of 7 Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 AM

I don't know much about your problem but I would say you need to supplement some good magnesium along with epsom salt baths. Many of us are mag deficient and you can't absorb calcium without magnesium so perhaps you have to much free floating calcium causing issues internally???? I have read that one of the causes for kidney stones is also low mag because the body has to much free floating calcium so your body has to deposit the calcium somewhere causing stones. so maybe this could be an issue for you??? Something to think about

Silica is also needed for calcium do you have dry hair, nails, etc?
#5 of 7 Old 05-13-2010, 04:08 PM

Ok, I don't mean to scare you but if you're talking about your neck arteries being calcified they could also be narrowed, or stenosed.

This is a risk factor for strokes and TIAs. I would get it further investigated.

I could be reading your post wrong though.

Look into carotid artery stenosis - that should help you out more.
#6 of 7 Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, my...
I'm 31. I have never smoked. I don't have diabetes. I eat what I consider to be a very healthy diet. The only problem I have is hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue. I exercise and am not overweight or underweight.
They are the arteries on either side of the spine in the neck. They looked to be about a centimeter or a little less on the x-ray. One was more obvious than the other. I am assuming they are the carotid.
I have been having headaches that radiate up the back of my head lately, and a wooshing sound constantly in my left ear where the more prominent artery is. My regular physician did a CT scan of my head and didn't find anything at that time. That was about 6 months ago.
From what I have read, diet isn't a cause... but anger and stress might be. Shoot... I don't know whether to let it alone or go in. As of right now, it doesn't seem like I should have them at all.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#7 of 7 Old 05-14-2010, 03:12 PM

I would have my parathyroid checked... which can cause elevated calcium... and anger and stress.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page