Coughing so hard, losing consciousness. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had a wet cough for about a week now. A couple nights ago I was almost asleep in a position that helped me NOT cough when my dry throat caused a coughing fit. I ended up coughing hard for about 15 minutes, threw up a couple times during it but was able to breath ok during it.
Fast forward to yesterday, I started with another hard coughing fit and my eyesight started to fade. I feel dizzy and weak afterwards. I'm still having these spells today during longer coughing fits. My stomach muscles are killing me and (TMI WARNING!!)

my diva cup feels like its going to pop out during these fits. Ever try to do a kegel while coughing. I don't think its possible. So yeah, I have my period AND I have the cough from hell. Any ideas what the heck is going on? I'm ready to head to the hospital at this rate. I'm trying to blow my nose often just to keep from the post-nasal drip from overwhelming me.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 PM

Everything I can find online says to call your doctor if coughing induces vomiting...and I'm sure that almost passing out is another bad sign.

Honestly, it sounds like you have pertussis. I'd get it checked out.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 05-19-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm hoping its not pertussis. That would be sucktastic. I'm starting to feel loopy even between coughing spasms.

(I have coughed so hard that I threw up before. I wasn't even sick. I swallowed some saliva wrong and coughed for a good 15 minutes. At work. Not fun.)

Old 05-19-2010, 05:05 PM

Do a quick Google of "pertussis symptoms" and make the decision if you want to get checked out or not...If it were me, I'd go.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 05-19-2010, 05:05 PM

I was going to say pertussis too. Are you asmthatic?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 PM

some fungal infections are much worse during your cycle, something w/ hormones - maybe try an anti fungal regimen? sort of like a candida flush - garlic!, no sugar, no gluten... the regular bacterial cold treatments don't help, really.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Time for a Doctor visit.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 05-19-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Do a quick Google of "pertussis symptoms" and make the decision if you want to get checked out or not...If it were me, I'd go.
Already did. Just to give you guys an idea of what I'm dealing with, I'll start from the beginning.
Lets see...Sunday before? we went for a long hike around a lake(about 2 miles, strolling took us about 2 hours. Kids and all that )
Went to work the next night and started to get a bit of a cough.
Tuesday-my throat started to hurt, went home early.
Wednesday, pretty certain I had strep throat. slight fever.
Thursday throat hurt even more (did tabata sprints that day, hurt like hell.) left side of throat was swollen quite a bit. Cough got worse, sneezing, runny nose. Slight fever again. coughing up greenish phlegm
Friday was feeling a little better, throat stopped hurting and wasn't swollen anymore.
Felt so good the family went for a long walk on Saturday though my cough was getting worse. Very wet cough, greenish phlegm
Sunday cough even worse, sore throat gone. Coughed so hard I threw up that night.
Called in sick Monday, coughing fits but fine otherwise. Felt tired but not too bad.
Tuesday, throat a little raw, starting to "grey out" during coughing fits and nose is running again.

Anyway, it seems to follow close to pertussis, except for the swollen throat. It was definitely strep throat. Plus it seems like there is something in my throat triggering the spells, not from my lungs.

Heading to the doctor as soon as I can, kids are getting the same cough too.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
I was going to say pertussis too. Are you asmthatic?
Not that I know of, my father was though. I might have seasonal allergies though.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM

Yeah I agree you need to get that checked out.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
Old 05-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Keep us posted.

It's also possible that a secondary infection set in your throat when you were "weak" and caused the swelling...or the constant coughing irritated it.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I vote for bronchitis. The greenish stuff sounds like it could be a bacterial infection. They'll probably want to give you some antibiotics. Can you sleep sitting up? Might help with the coughing fits.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 05-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Mucinex is very good for wet coughs. And if it's pertussis, high, HIGH doses of vitamin C every few hours are supposed to help (what I've read is 3000mg for kids age 4+, maybe more for adults, back off if it causes diarrhea).
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I had a cough that go so bad that I almost passed out during a coughing fit, it was bacterial pneumonia. It took about 3 weeks to recover, and that was WITH antibiotics. It was horrendous.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 05-20-2010, 12:46 AM

I think you should go to the doctor tomorrow if not right now. It really sounds serious to me. Could very well be pneumonia.

I thought pertussis in adults was relatively mild?

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

I have an appointment tomorrow at 9:45. DD1 and DD2 both have a cough now. DD1 is sneezing and has a bit of a fever. Gggggrreaaat.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:22 AM

I had bronchitis a few months ago and it sounds very similar to this. I coughed so hard I nearly threw up. I cried a couple times, I was so miserable when the cough wouldn't let up. My ND gave me an herbal remedy that helped so much! She also said if the herbs didn't work to use Mucenex to get the stuff out of my lungs before it turned into pneumonia.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Waiting here till you get back from the Doctor.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post

Waiting here till you get back from the Doctor.

Its like a car wreck, isn't it
Both kids had a fever last night, so both are coming to the doctors with me today. Hope we get some idea of what is making us sick.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Yes it is actually.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
Its like a car wreck, isn't it
Both kids had a fever last night, so both are coming to the doctors with me today. Hope we get some idea of what is making us sick.
I even brought it up with DH last night..."There's a woman on MDC that might have pertussis. I'm really worried..." I need a life outside of my computer!

Actually, DH's freshman year in college a "cough" went around. People were coughing so hard they were vomiting, one girl snapped a couple of ribs during a fit, and one of the teachers actually had permanent hearing loss...the people that could afford to went to the doctor and were told "it's bronchitis" and sent on their way with no additional testing. DH said that it actually made two rounds. When a person got over it they would "relapse" a few weeks later...
It wasn't until we started researching vaccines and VPDs that DH goes, "OMG, I bet we all got pertussis!"

Old 05-20-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Just got back from the doctor. She checked all three of us out and gave a prescription for antibiotics. She thinks its a sinus infection that spread to my lungs and the girls are getting the same thing. I'm supposed to come back next week to see what progress has been made. She did make a comment to make sure I tell them at the hospital that she was my family doctor ( we don't have one right now) Not sure how to take that....considering she didn't send me for tests at the hospital.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:57 PM

I would definately go to the ER if it gets worse.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
So it's not really clear what you have? There has been something going around here that starts out like strep, but then doesn't really seem to be strep. My husband went to the doctor and got antibiotics and the doctor said it normally starts out in the sinuses and then moves to the throat and lungs. But he couldn't tell me what it was called, although the doctor said she had seen 4 cases that day.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
I would definately go to the ER if it gets worse.
Hell ya! Last thing I need is to cough myself unconscious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
So it's not really clear what you have? There has been something going around here that starts out like strep, but then doesn't really seem to be strep. My husband went to the doctor and got antibiotics and the doctor said it normally starts out in the sinuses and then moves to the throat and lungs. But he couldn't tell me what it was called, although the doctor said she had seen 4 cases that day.
She said it looked and sounded like a bronchial infection, but yeah, no clearcut 100% "this is what you have" diagnosis. I was actually starting to think last night that it was postnasal drip tickling my throat and causing me to cough. Glad it wasn't just in my head..so to speak.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:28 PM

neverrdoingitagain, how are you feeling? Adenovirus has been making the rounds here apparently. My doc says it has a chinese menu list of symptoms and nobody gets everything, but everybody gets two or three. I got "sinus infection" and "whole body itchy rash", but I coud have gotten "pneumonia" or "meningitis" so all in all I think I will survive. Hope your cough has subsided by now.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks for asking
Doing much better, thanks to the antibiotics. Looks like it was definitely bronchitis from the strep throat. The kids are doing better too. Of course, true to form...my dh is getting sick now
He just has be different
I'm still keeping an eye on it though, in case it rebounds. Cross your fingers that it doesn't.
Now I just need to figure out what is causing me to get strep throat so much. I think wheat is a bigger issue than I believed and possibly *gulp* dairy...

User Tag List