Help! Diarrhea & Vomiting for 3+weeks in 3 yo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! I'm feeling desperate. My ds1 started with diarrhea & vomiting about 3 weeks ago, more or less. The diarrhea is daily, explosive. He isn't going that many times in a day, maybe 2, but it's totally liquid. The vomiting started, just at night, not daily, just every couple days. Sometimes goind 3 or 4 days in between vomiting. But the last couple days he's been vomiting daily. He was up for a while last night puking, then again this morning when he tried to eat a little oatmeal.

He has multiple food allergies and I'm starting an elimination diet, but I'm really not convinced if that's the issue. We haven't really changed anything in his diet lately that I think should cause such a dramatic problem.

Of course, we thought it was just a virus at first but can that really go on that long?

Could it be a parasite or something?

Any other ideas? My poor baby. I'm worried.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#2 of 8 Old 05-20-2010, 12:00 PM

My one year old had this EXACTLY back in November. He got it for his brithday, and it lasted til a week before Christmas!!!! I thought parasite too, I even brough some really awful nasty diapers to the doctors office with me. He said, no, and within a few days, he was finally on the mend.

I would take him to the doc to rule out anything OTHER then a virus. But yes, they CAN last this long. Sorry. HUGS!
#3 of 8 Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

I did take him to our family doc on Tues and the allergist on Wed.
Neither really knew what to tell me. : (

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#4 of 8 Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 PM

Yes, viruses can last this long and so can parasites and giardia is really common. Did the doc not do a stool test? I would insist on one if not. Otherwise, Culturelle was super helpful when dd had rotavirus, cleared up the pooping in 3 (double) doses.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#5 of 8 Old 05-20-2010, 05:59 PM

Our doctor said the worst he has seen is 6 weeks, and I think he was talking about a child who had allergies to begin with. Maybe their gut is more sensitive so it takes longer to go away.

Hang in there.
#6 of 8 Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

ok thanks for the replies. i called the dr again today and they agreed to do a stool sample, so hopefully we can do that soon & get some info.

if it is a virus, would he be contagious still?

#7 of 8 Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 PM

In my experience stuff that goes on that long was parasitic. Unfortunately, we didn't catch them in pediatrician stool samples. They only tests for certain ones. Not the most common actually (b. hominus, d. fragilis, etc.) that continue indefintiely, not generally cryptosporidium, etc.

If you don't "catch" it and this goes on (note: many/most of the lasting parasitic infections are acute initially and then form a come and go pattern) I strongly recommend metametrix comprehensive stool test. It will catch it as they use DNA and test for all of them including b. hominus, crypto, fragilis, etc. Genova also tests for all of them but they don't use DNA so you'll want two samples to be sure to catch anything. Whatever stool test you use collect from beginning, middle, and end of stool. Some are only carried in certain portions. This is especially important with the culture types (all except metametrix).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#8 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
In my experience stuff that goes on that long was parasitic. Unfortunately, we didn't catch them in pediatrician stool samples. They only tests for certain ones. Not the most common actually (b. hominus, d. fragilis, etc.) that continue indefintiely, not generally cryptosporidium, etc.

If you don't "catch" it and this goes on (note: many/most of the lasting parasitic infections are acute initially and then form a come and go pattern) I strongly recommend metametrix comprehensive stool test. It will catch it as they use DNA and test for all of them including b. hominus, crypto, fragilis, etc. Genova also tests for all of them but they don't use DNA so you'll want two samples to be sure to catch anything. Whatever stool test you use collect from beginning, middle, and end of stool. Some are only carried in certain portions. This is especially important with the culture types (all except metametrix).
Thanks for the tips mama.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page