the healing power of breastmilk! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-05-2002, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6 1/2 year old developed pink eye over the weekend. We are pretty sure it is viral rather than bacterial, because he also has a mild cold. Antibiotic eye drops only help bacterial infections, viral infections just take their course. So I was scouring my parenting/health books trying to find some help.

In one book - 'Taking Charge of Your Child's Health' by George Wootan, M.D. - *breastmilk* is mentioned as a cure for viral pink eye (the milk contains white blood cells which fight the virus & bacteria!)

My younger son just weaned (last nursing about a week ago) but I am able to maually express a little milk. I have been bathing ds's eye with milk (and believe me, he is less than thrilled about this!) and it is working!!! His eye looks much better!!!

Why am I suprised? Breast milk is awesome! Any other stories out there about the healing powers of breast milk?
#2 of 4 Old 05-06-2002, 09:38 AM

I heard it also works for ear infections. My best friend swears by it when her dd gets one!

peggy
#3 of 4 Old 05-06-2002, 11:10 AM

I read here a few days ago about using it for diaper rash, and dd's is clearing up finally (I think it's yeast). Of course, I never remember to express any before diaper change, so I just squirt her. It is really hard to control the direction!!!
#4 of 4 Old 05-06-2002, 11:23 AM

Yes!! We've used it for diaper rashes too. And when DS had a clogged duct. But my favorite use for it is clearing up a runny nose. I can't even imagine how funny it must look trying to squirt breastmilk up my son's nose!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page