Reccurent strep infections... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-24-2010, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About five years ago, my then two sons had recurrent strep infections. They both tested positive as carriers and were treated. Seemed the problem was solved.

Starting about eight months ago, the strep returned. I now have three boys and usually one or two of them will get it with every episode. I always get it. We have all been tested and no one is a carrier (they were all good swabs..we all gagged well). DH has never had it but has also been tested and is not the carrier.

I just started my seventh episode in a year. Having my tonsils out is simply not an option (first son is mulitiply handicapped, second son has Autism and third son is just a real handful). I could not recover in the house and can't leave them for that long.

DH is a doctor, internist. He is at a loss but says that all an ENT will say is that I need my tonsils out.

My immune system, I am sure is terrible. I am overweight and don't eat well. But, that hasn't changed for years. I am not going to be getting any rest or an easing up on the stress anytime soon.

Anything to do? I am SO sick of strep and the antibiotics (which of course have now given me an almost constant yeast infection).
#2 of 6 Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockys View Post
About five years ago, my then two sons had recurrent strep infections. They both tested positive as carriers and were treated. Seemed the problem was solved.

Starting about eight months ago, the strep returned. I now have three boys and usually one or two of them will get it with every episode. I always get it. We have all been tested and no one is a carrier (they were all good swabs..we all gagged well). DH has never had it but has also been tested and is not the carrier.

I just started my seventh episode in a year. Having my tonsils out is simply not an option (first son is mulitiply handicapped, second son has Autism and third son is just a real handful). I could not recover in the house and can't leave them for that long.

DH is a doctor, internist. He is at a loss but says that all an ENT will say is that I need my tonsils out.

My immune system, I am sure is terrible. I am overweight and don't eat well. But, that hasn't changed for years. I am not going to be getting any rest or an easing up on the stress anytime soon.

Anything to do? I am SO sick of strep and the antibiotics (which of course have now given me an almost constant yeast infection).
I have heard/read that people sensitive to dairy will get strep a lot. Usually treating with abx creates a cycle. It will keep coming back...I had strep a lot in junior high/high school that's i know that. I changed my diet and that helped.

Diet is everything so I would look there first. I agree with you on not removing your tonsils. My SIL had her removed because of the same strep issues but she stills get sick all the time! Sounds like you need fermented foods and a good probiotic to help repopulate your gut too. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will pop in with their 2 cents.
#3 of 6 Old 05-24-2010, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We had this same problem in our house where it got to the point that recovery from it was taking 2-3 weeks for me which just was not acceptable as I have a son with special needs too. We tried everything btw nothing worked. It just got worst and worst. So they now take your with radio wave thingy so recovery time is suppose to be less in adults. So I bit the bullet and went for it. It was a piece a cake. I used pain meds once. I cooked dinner that night after my surgery. Our ENT says it was because of how chronic we had the strep. I had much more painful bouts of strep then having my tonsils removed. Since we all had our tonsils removed (except my husband. he never got strep nor was he the carrier.) we have not had strep at all nor has my daughter ran a fever. She would go as high as 107 degrees with strep and have a typical febrile seizures that she would have to be given medication to come out of.

Heidi
#4 of 6 Old 05-24-2010, 05:56 PM

I would try to eat better (bone broth daily for starters) and make sure to get a good daily dose of vitamin D. 5,000 IUs a day if supplementing or 20 minutes in direct sunlight (between 10-2) with 40% body exposure (wear a swimsuit).

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#5 of 6 Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 AM

I agree change the diet and see if it improves. Its worth a shot but the worse it becomes the higher risk of spreading the bacteria to other parts of your body where it can become very serious life threatening issues. But your dh is a Dr so probably know that. Could you possibly get in to see a natruopathic Dr. I know a lot of them advocate keeping them when possible and may have treatments. I don't know of any myself pretty much everyone I knows that has chronic strep have/had them removed.

I had mine out at a young age. I was never really sick that much after but they do provide immune system functions so I'd agree with those that advocate keeping them. My ex husband had his done in his late 20s and recovery was not that bad. A day or 2 and serious strep can have you out of commission a lot longer.

Lucky for me my 6 year old has not had it despite being exposed to it several times in infancy and preschool many times. Interesting to know about the carrier thing.

Just wanted to wish you good luck.

Melissa mama to Zoë 7/26/03
#6 of 6 Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i had strep every year of my life as a kid. it finally stopped probably uncoincidentally after i changed my health. changing the health of yourself and your family will have great positive effects for all of you. i definitely think its necessary to cut out processed, sugar, and possibly wheat or dairy depending on your issues. like others have said, probiotics will be your best friend. raw garlic as well. i hope things turn around for you all and your stress lowers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page