plastic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-25-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today is the day I'm going to stop microwaving food in plastic. Anyone else want to join. No judgment. Just a a promise and accountability!
#2 of 11 Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM

I don't microwave food in plastic but good for you!!

I use glass bowls for the microwave if I use it. I think you will find it really isn't difficult and pretty easy to adjust to.

I can't imagine you would find any judgment for that, it is a great change.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 11 Old 05-25-2010, 10:45 PM

Good for you!

We have stopped microwaving in plastic, we don't serve hot food on plastic dishes and we don't put plastic in the dishwasher.

ETA you can get pyrex (glass) tupperware now BTW. You might find it helpful in your quest to avoid microwaving plastic.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#4 of 11 Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 PM

I have a cousin that takes ceramics and that really helped us with serving dishes.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#5 of 11 Old 05-26-2010, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we dont have a mircowave. makes not using one very easy!
i suggest getting very pretty dishes, maybe NOT MIRCOWAVE SAFE, so you use them but cannot mircowave them.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#6 of 11 Old 05-30-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have some lame excuses I guess. I had devised this system where I use as few dishes as possible. We have six people living here so sometimes we run the dishwasher twice a day. I never understood until I stayed home how many dishes would be involved in serving 3 meals plus 2 snacks!

Our microwaveable plates are in storage (long story) so that had been a problem. I did find some ceramic dishes for my morning oatmeal!!

I did give in I think twice this week when the dishes were out of control and just microwave something that was already in a tupperware in the fridge...ooops. But I did a lot better overall.

I have heard of people not using microwaves. I guess I need to get into a habit of washing dishes right away when the dishwasher is full instead of letting them pile up. I bet I could enlist my kids to do this Anything to keep them busy. I've gotten them to wash their snack plate before when the dishwasher was full.

Thanks for all the ideas!
#7 of 11 Old 05-30-2010, 10:07 PM

We haven't had a microwave in over a year. I haven't missed it one bit. We warm stuff up on the stove instead. No big thing. For storage, we use mason jars with lids. They work great!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#8 of 11 Old 05-30-2010, 10:48 PM

Except make that year... Three years! I really don't like the microwave, but I love mason jars. Really, it's weird. They are my all purpose everything dish. Honestly, we don't have drinking glasses... Mason jars all the way.
#9 of 11 Old 05-30-2010, 11:59 PM

More power to you! I bet if you start storing leftovers in glass instead of plastic, you won't even have to think about it anymore. I'm a big fan of mason jars too. 12 for ten dollars at the grocery store.

We don't microwave here either -- we don't own one and don't want to. I can link to some interesting research about it if you want to, if it's not too overwhelming to think about. (With four kids, I hesitate to add to your stress load...)

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#10 of 11 Old 05-31-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongBeliever View Post
Honestly, we don't have drinking glasses... Mason jars all the way.
Same here! We love mason jars!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#11 of 11 Old 05-31-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
More power to you! I bet if you start storing leftovers in glass instead of plastic, you won't even have to think about it anymore. I'm a big fan of mason jars too. 12 for ten dollars at the grocery store.

We don't microwave here either -- we don't own one and don't want to. I can link to some interesting research about it if you want to, if it's not too overwhelming to think about. (With four kids, I hesitate to add to your stress load...)
nah, just two kids, two parents, and two grandparents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page