I think I might bleed to death.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Damona, for the rash bath tip. (Also I LOVE LOVE LOVE your quote - Little Earthquakes is sooo amazing!)

This is 8 days into the bleeding/rash problem and now I have hives ALL OVER my body. I woke up with scratches all over my chest, neck, armpits, earlobes even from scratching my sleep. My throat feels tight and I'm clearly (still) having an allergic reaction that is spreading. Sigh. Back on the Benadryl. Misery.

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#32 of 45 Old 06-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writteninkursive View Post
Thanks Damona, for the rash bath tip. (Also I LOVE LOVE LOVE your quote - Little Earthquakes is sooo amazing!)

This is 8 days into the bleeding/rash problem and now I have hives ALL OVER my body. I woke up with scratches all over my chest, neck, armpits, earlobes even from scratching my sleep. My throat feels tight and I'm clearly (still) having an allergic reaction that is spreading. Sigh. Back on the Benadryl. Misery.
Once again I'm going to suggest a doctor's appt... 8 days into an allergic reaction (especially after you've gotten rid of the supposed cause) is bad. AND your throat is tight? You need to figure out what's going on asap.

Can I ask: Do you have an IUD or surgical pins or anything? I'm suddenly remembering an episode of House where this woman had an undiagnosed copper allergy and was getting really sick from her "copper cross" IUD... Have you changed ANYTHING lately? New food, new soap, new perfume, new sheets?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#33 of 45 Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 PM

I'm so happy to hear the bleeding stopped, and I hope it never happens again to you!

I had a horrible hemorrhage 2 weeks PP with my second son. I literally sat down to go pee (all bleeding had stopped by this time) and I heard two loud plops - it was two large blood clots the size of large grapefruit followed by super heavy bleeding (like a faucet was turned on). I finally went to the ER where I was placed in an isolation waiting room for 3 hours while I waited for a room. Not one nurse came and checked on me, not one time! I could have bled to death by then and no one would of known... Once I got my room, my bleeding suddenly stopped...I was on a new clean bed so you couldn't see all the blood I lost and so of course the doctors thought I was crazy and making everything up!

My point is that our medical system sucks! I'm so sorry you went through this with no doctors willing to brain storm and figure out whats wrong with you. I know how you feel, sadly.

Hugs!

xoxoxox

#34 of 45 Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writteninkursive View Post

Have you been back to the doctor? This is very worrisome! My thoughts are with you, hope you are feeling better soon!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#35 of 45 Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 PM

You've been through the wringer! I agree with AFWife, time to see someone. I'm pretty relaxed about suggesting the doctor but if your throat is tight, it could suddenly get worse. Sounds like you could need an Epi-Pen on hand. Sending you healing thoughts!

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#36 of 45 Old 06-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
whoa, what a crazy week or two you've had!! hope the rash/allergic reaction goes away soon!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#37 of 45 Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 AM

So glad you're on the mend! Hives are terrible. In addition to seeing a dr and benydryl, I like a baking soda paste. Apply often. It flakes and makes a mess so naked time on a sheet may be needed.

For your next period, how about cloth pads? Just started using them and I really like them. Tons of options on etsy and hyena cart in addition to the more well known brands.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! (and thanks to you two I now have little earthquakes in my head! It *is* a great cd!)

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#38 of 45 Old 06-04-2010, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Nope, no IUD (I have never in my life used any kind of birth control other than condoms). I haven't changed anything. Here's exactly how this came about, so I'm pretty sure it's the pads...

I was bleeding tons and tons and had to go to school for my last day of class last Wednesday. It was the peak of the bleeding, and I put on three pads on top of each other and a super tampon. After 45 minutes of class, I slipped out to the bathroom and just ripped the top pad off because it was completely saturated. It tore the pad below it a tiny bit, but I figured it didn't matter. Left the other two pads on and went back into class. Two hours later, I was in the ER for the bleeding, waiting for 7 hours. By the time the doctor actually saw me that night, I already had the pad-shaped rash. DH pointed it out while we waited in the ER room. It was bright red and itchy, shaped just like the pad. At the time, I was more concerned about the bleeding and ER staff said nothing about the rash, although they had to have noticed while doing the pelvic! (Although maybe it wasn't quite so noticeable because of all the blood).

Next day, the rash is itchy and an exaggerated pad shape, like spread some from the original rash, but is still central to my pelvic area. Only in the last couple of days (so like day 7) has it become a hives situation all over my body. My armpits are bright red and hivey, my ear lobes itch uncontrollably. My lips are numb and puffy. It's 4:45am now and I've been up since 3am because I wake up not being able to breathe. DH had to leave for work at 4 and will be home at noon, so I *might* head to the ER to get a corticosteroid prescription after he is home. I did find two leftover Prednisones in the medicine cabinet from when I had shingles last year. I took one just now and I'll take the other later tonight. If they help a ton, I'll hit the ER for more.

Otherwise, I'm getting married tomorrow! And I do not want this rash to accompany me to our wedding. (It's just the civil ceremony, the handfasting ceremony will be in August, so not the hugest deal that I'm itchy and miserable, but still... not cool!).

Thanks for the wellwishes. I really hope this Prednisone kicks in and creates mass improvement. Maybe I'll get super lucky and two of them will do the trick! :/ It's worth a shot.

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#39 of 45 Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 AM

My only thought is if you stopped using the pads the reaction should have calmed down and you shouldn't have gotten hives on top of everything...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#40 of 45 Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 AM

Btdt complete with dismissive ER trip.

ERs absolutely SUCK for this kind of stuff.

Always try to go to an OB asap for heavy bleeding.

And take some iron with vitamin C to replenish what you lost.

Please let Kotex know about your reaction--odd how Pampers 'reformulated' and there were complaints. Now Kotex too. Are they the same parent company?

By the way, I'm still bleeding. Have been bleeding since March, even while on the pill. Fun! At least the pill makes it lighter.

Hope your civil ceremony goes well.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#41 of 45 Old 06-04-2010, 11:28 AM

Mama, that sounds like a fairly serious allergic reaction... and still lasting all these days later?!?! I think it's worth a trip to the dr to get checked out. I wonder if it's possible there's more at play than just the pads since the reaction's gotten worse but you haven't worn the pads in days.

BTW Congratulations on your marriage!

P.S. I use cloth pads and wanted to recommend Luna pads - they're awesome! Check out the Diva cup as well as a tampon alternative.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#42 of 45 Old 06-04-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I have always had an adhesive allergy. When I had my babies, they always use tape to keep IVs and catheters in place and I always break out in a horrible itchy rash. After last baby was born, I had it all over from the tape. I'm almost 100% certain it's the pads. I mean the initial rash (which I still have) is the exact shape of a pad.

I did let Kotex know (no, the Kotex parent company is Kimberly-Clark. Pampers is Procter & Gamble). They said it's "highly unlikely" that their products caused a reaction. Riiight. They're sending me a return envelope to send them samples of the product. They can have the whole freaking box back! Stupid Kotex U. The entire back of the pad is completely covered in adhesive (and wings), where other pads have like a small strip down the middle. I will definitely be using only tampons or will look into washable pads (Lunas... check! Thanks!). I've seen them at our organic food store, but was kind of grossed out by the idea of washing bloody pads. But hey, if it helps avoid this... sign me up! I just worry about after having the next baby... when you can't wear tampons and have to use huge pads 'cause of the clots and stuff. That would be grosssss to wash. But you do what you gotta do.

The prednisone I took this morning seems to have helped some. Still itchy and still hivey, but it almost seems like something is at work against it now. I only have one left though. I'll take it tonight before bed and hope hope hope that I'm a lot better tomorrow. If not, it's definitely a hospital visit.

#43 of 45 Old 06-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Congrats on the marriage!!

About cloth pads, I thought they were gross, but then I started using them. Bought a whole bunch over 10 years ago and they have gone through the years with me, babies and all. It is alot upfront, but never buying pads for 10 years, is so worth it. And I don't find it gross and still find time to take care of them with my super busy life. The only time I have used disposable pads is when I had my babies for about a week postpartum, but I was so glad to switch back to my cloth. When I did use pads, I only used the ones from the HFS, not sure if that means anything for being "natural".
The ones I use are gladrags.
#44 of 45 Old 06-04-2010, 02:40 PM

Yeah, I have friends who have been using cloth for years and years but I never jumped on the bandwagon cause I thought they'd be gross to deal with. But after having ds 2.5 yrs ago I finally decided to make the switch. I have a container near the toilet with a screw-on lid (it's actually a big plastic thermos from the dollar store, lol). After I change a pad I put it in the container and add enough cold water to cover it. I keep adding pads to the container throughout the day (each time adding a bit more cold water - for some reason I find it gets less gross than if I fill the whole thing with water from the get-go), and then at the end of the day I dump it in the washer, run a "rinse" cycle on cold with no soap (which pretty much gets out all the blood), and then throw in a normal load of laundry with detergent. I dry them in the dryer. The pads come out totally clean - no stains, no smell, and I've never had any staining etc issues on the rest of my laundry either.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#45 of 45 Old 06-04-2010, 03:04 PM

I do the dry method, take off pads and put in small pail with lid. I keep it under the sink. Then when the pail is full, I fill it with water and let it soak for perhaps 20 minutes. Then rinse each pad a little under running water and throw in washer. A good time for me to clean them is when I am going to be in the bathroom showering.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page