Have UTI....take probiotics DURING or AFTER antibiotics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies
It was confirmed yesterday that I have a UTI (urinary tract infection). It started about a week ago, but it went away, and I thought I was out of the woods, but then it struck again even worse. My doc gave me antibiotics. I didn't want to take them because last time I had a UTI and took antibiotics, i got horrible C-Diff (diarreah).....not a good experience.
I got the prescription filled, and then headed down to my local hfs. Picked up D-Mannos CranActin, A Vogel Kidney/Bladder Complex and a probiotic for women. (Under the advise of the lady at the hfs) Came home, decided I would try out the supplements first before resorting to the antibiotics. My lower back started hurting later on that day, and from what I have been reading, that would be the sign of a kidney infection. I freaked out and have taken 2 doses of the antibiotics so far.
Did I do the right thing? I am really dissapointed. I didn't want to have to take them.

Ok, so here are my questions:

1) Should I take the probiotics DURING or AFTER the 10 day course of antibiotics? And can I take those other above mentioned supplements while on the antibiotics?

2) Do I have to take the full 10 day script for the antibiotics?

For the record, my doctor knows zilch about natural supplements and doesn't even really care to discuss them.
Thank you!

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 12:45 AM

Hi,

I'm being treated for Lyme with antibiotics and some other alternative remedies. On my paper work from my doctor, it says to take the probiotics 3 hours AFTER you take the antibiotics. I would assume you take the probiotics a few months after the antibiotics are finished to heal your insides.

xoxoxox

Old 05-29-2010, 12:51 AM

I take a lot of probiotics daily. When I'm on an antibiotic (maybe once every 5-10 years?) I just stop taking my probiotics until I'm done with my treatment. Then I double it up for a while and gradually ease back into my regular probiotic dose.

I would follow the 3-4 hour rule mentioned above though if the antibiotics were giving me diarrhea or some other serious tummy upsets. Or maybe just eat some yogurt or something.

Edited to add that I just noticed the other part of your post. I personally don't treat UTI's (even bad ones) with antibiotics. But if you've started the antibiotics, you need to finish them. You'll feel better sooner and then can spend some time learning about how to treat UTI's naturally should it happen again (since you seem so freaked by antibiotics).

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Old 05-29-2010, 12:56 AM

Definitely take the full 10 day course of abx. To not finish the course puts you at risk for developing resistant bugs.

Take the probiotic during the course, but take it like the pp said, at least 3 or 4 hours after you take the abx dose.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:09 AM

Yes, do them 3-4 hours after every dose (some do half between as well). Also do them when you finish.
During I take Culturelle. It is really good with antibiotics and widely available. I do it at least two weeks after as well and then continue with something that colonizes (Klaire labs complete is a really good one).
If you can get it florastor (s. boulardi) is great with antibiotics. It's the one probiotic that antibiotics can't kill. It's also great with the really nasty bacterias and with yeast. But it's harder to get usually.

So during (but away from the dose) and after.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 05-29-2010, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My doctor has me taking probiotics 2 hours after abx.

I found a really good one called AbX Support that I was taking while on long-term abx for chronic UTIs that I was taking for a while.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 05-30-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

THank you ladies, I really appreciate all your help. I have been doing the probiotics 3-4 hours after the antibiotics as suggested.

For the poster that mentions she does not use antibiotics even for the worst UTI, aren't you afraid of kidney infection? I am curious to know what kind of remedy you incorporate when you have a serious UTI.

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

Old 05-30-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Yes, do them 3-4 hours after every dose (some do half between as well). Also do them when you finish.
During I take Culturelle. It is really good with antibiotics and widely available. I do it at least two weeks after as well and then continue with something that colonizes (Klaire labs complete is a really good one).
If you can get it florastor (s. boulardi) is great with antibiotics. It's the one probiotic that antibiotics can't kill. It's also great with the really nasty bacterias and with yeast. But it's harder to get usually.

So during (but away from the dose) and after.
Saccharomyces boulardii is a yeast which is why antibiotics wouldn't kill it. I don't know much about Florastor, but I'd be careful about taking something that is a yeast if you're worried about yeast overgrowth due to antibiotic use.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.

User Tag List