tired and drained, what could it be? UPDATE and still need advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-28-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So here's my update: my fatigue has gotten worse, I haven't been dieting since the end of may, and i have cut way back at the gym to like 2-3 hours a week. I went to the dr. a month back and they ran all types of blood tests to test my hormones, iron, liver etc and they say everything is normal and it is not gynocological (went to obgyn/nmw) So if it isn't then why are my symptoms worse after a period or in this recent case, i spotted midcycle for 4 days and now the nausea, headache, fogginess and tiredness has returned. I cannot figure out how it could not be related to hormones as of the timing of the symptoms. I had a terrible spell last month lasting close to 2 weeks following my period. I have not taken any maca since i started feeling ill beginning of june, and i had a relatively normal period last cycle.

I am feeling the need to go to the dr. again, i have had a seizure in the past and i am beginning to worry that it could be neurological. SO anymore insight mama's? Should I return to the dr. this spell is not as bad as last month, but it is somewhat debilitating in that i cannot think clearly, but i am trying to function as normally as possible and hoping everyday i wake up, i will be normal again.

doing eat to live diet since january- a little more lax now, i will eat off plan about 25%, but it's mostly vegan, no grains, fat salt ,etc.

I work out at the gym about 3-4 hours a week doing cardio

I have lost 25 pounds since january, i am at a healthy weight for my height 5'8" 153 pounds currently, still wanting to lose 13 more

I was tired before starting diet/excersize and now i feel it has almost worsened,

I have seasonal allergies-mostly in the fall

I have amaglam fillings

I sleep normally 9 or so hours a day and don't wake up feeling energetic most the day i feel like a slug.

I have 1 ds almost 4, i had a chemical pregnancy in october have been ttc 1 year, possible luteal phase defect

i take a rainbow light multi and a bcomplex and 1000 mgs of maca everyday

gosh i think i layed it all out there, i just often feel tired, drained light headed. I thought losing weight and excersizing would make me feel better, but i am not improving.

What could it be? Should I make an appointment to see a dr.? and what tests should be done?

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#2 of 11 Old 05-28-2010, 09:18 PM

I would focus on diet first.

You may need more fat in your diet. I feel like heck if I drop my fat intake too low. If the diet you're on (I don't know the details) is very low in fats, you may be deficient in essential fatty acids. Also, eating too many carbs can cause miserable ups-and-downs in your mood as well as lightheadedness because your blood sugar surges and then plummets. Adding more fat in can temper that effect a lot. Also how is your intake of iron? A vegan diet may be deficient in iron, and the iron in a lot of supplements is very hard for your body to absorb.

I would start looking into a more balanced diet. One that includes healthy, whole-food sources of fat-- foods like extra-virgin olive oil, virgin coconut oil, wild-caught salmon, avocado, full-fat grass-fed dairy products, etc. I would also do some looking into the glycemic index of the food you're eating.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 11 Old 05-29-2010, 01:22 PM

I had the same thoughts as Llyra. Can you tell us a bit more about your current diet? I'm wondering if you're getting enough healthy fats, iron, protein, b vits. What are your main sources of protein? If you're consuming a lot of soy that can affect your hormones. I notice you're already taking Maca - have you been taking it for a long time or is this a recent addition to your regimen?

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#4 of 11 Old 07-31-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

bumping for update!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#5 of 11 Old 08-01-2010, 02:20 PM

So what do you eat?

Adrenal fatigue?

Hypothyroidism?

Anemia?

Estrogen dominant?

Mineral Defiecent?

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#6 of 11 Old 08-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
is there anything going on emotionally? Depresison/Anxiety can sneak up on you but have physical symptoms.

Also, i feel light headed when I don't get enough water, or am out in the heat. Perhaps post peroid bloating could make your body act dehydrated?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#7 of 11 Old 08-01-2010, 05:38 PM

(posting without reading other responses)

When they tested iron did they test serum ferritin? Sometimes when they test "iron" it's just your hemoglobin level, but they also should be testing your iron stores. If this wasn't tested it is possible that you could be anemic.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#8 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 AM

#9 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 PM

My health problems got much worse on a vegan diet, its deficient in cholesterol which actually your adrenals thrive on.
http://www.westonaprice.org/take-a-g...getarians.html

I ditto what Pattyla said.

I'm reading about Adrenal Fatigue now and you might be interested in some of the correlations as well:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/aldosterone/
http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/
#10 of 11 Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 AM

I also like this site for adrenal fatigue info.

http://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp

Diet is really important. Try to keep your blood sugar as even as possible, as if you were diabetic. Get as much sleep as you can and reduce as much stress as you can.

When this happened to me and I just kept getting worse I started to see that it was a call to restructure my life. I had to get sick to hear this message.
#11 of 11 Old 08-10-2010, 01:47 AM

Have you ever been told you snore? Talk in your sleep? Are restless in your sleep? Have you ever done a sleep study or sleep test? Or looked into or asked about sleep apnea?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page