Do I wean my toddler or join him on the 'diet'? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am feeling discouraged. My ds is 21 months. His excema has gotten much worse and he was just tested again. The list of foods to avoid for the next 8 weeks is very long. I've been through this before when he was and infant and it was worth it.

I really can't see weaning him but I don't know if I can be so strict on my diet! Help maybe I just need support. I find myself thinking things like. Well he won't nurse for at least 10 hours maybe I can have a little of a restricted food. Or how bad can it be if I eat of tablespoon of salsa (tomatoes restricted) and I nurse him for 5 minutes every three hours. It is only a small percentage of his nutritional intake.

He also tested 10/10 for candida. Do I go on the restricted fruit diet too? Of course we are already avoiding all sugars.

Thoughts? Information? Support? Lecture? Personal experiences. I welcome it all

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#2 of 6 Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 AM

If what you eat affects him, then go on the diet with him. Your breastmilk is still helping him heal. And he got the intolerances from somewhere, maybe you, so maybe you'll find yourself getting better at the same time. Are his IgE or intolerance triggers? There's a lot of support over on the allergy subforum as well. And if you need help thinking of ideas for food with a restricted diet, for both of you, we can help there too, if you give us the list of foods.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 6 Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would go on the diet with him. My DS is 25 months and he (and me b/c he still BF) is gluten free, yeast free and soy free and dairy free. That's a lot of foods out the window. He actually just had the alcat test today and I fully expect the list to keep growing. If it revelas 20 more foods to avoid, then he will and I will right along with him.

I believe BF is important, and while he doesn't do it often (2x/day) for a minute or 2 each time, he does still do it. I know avoiding tons of food is hard, but I try and look at the positives (I've lost alot of weight and am thinner now than b4 I was pregnant! I also feel much better myself since going off gluten. I remind myself it's not forever and I knew that having kids is a huge sacrifice. This is just one of those sacrifices IMO.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 6 Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Our household is gluten free, dd and I are gluten, dairy, soy, and egg free. DH eats eggs ( a very mild intolerance for dd AND I) and puts half n half in his coffee. So yes, you can do it. I only recently weaned dd so I cut her intolerances for that originally but I do MUCH better w/o them and I would never eat her intolerant foods in front of her, I think that would be incredibly rude.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#5 of 6 Old 06-02-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies for your support it is much appreciated

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#6 of 6 Old 06-02-2010, 11:04 PM

so so so hard! but i will also encourage you to do it w/ him. my dd (30m) has been dealing w/ weight gain issues and we did dairy/gluten free for the last 7-8m. at first i thought it would be very hard...for a second...but i am not doing a feeding tube and that made it a lot easier to skip the foods i would have missed. you will also be much more creative about substituting foods if you do it w/ him or even as a family (in the house at least). hope it is a worthwhile process!!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page