Left Tampon In For 4 Days, Now Scared...Advice? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TMI WARNING....
On Sunday I drank to much and forgot I had a tampon in(and may have had sex with it in(hubby was buzzed as well)) and afterwards put in another tampon. I continued to go about my period as normal, inserting and removing tampons till late Monday when I figured that I was done bleeding and took the 2nd one out (thinking it was the only one).
Fast forward to today, I started having some runny brown smelly discharge. After googling I decided I should check and sure enough, there was a tampon in there (and it smelled terrible). I have been really tired for the past 3 days, but figured it was from not sleeping much this weekend and pretending I was 21 again.
So what do I do now? Should I be worried? I put some coconut oil inside since I know it's anti-fungal/anti-bacterial, and took some zinc and vitamin c, but should I do something else? I can't believe I did this, I feel like such a fool.
I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks
#2 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 PM

I don't think this is that uncommon nor do I think it's likely to make you sick. TSS is possible but very rare. I'd familiarize yourself with symptoms so that if you do show signs of infection you get help fast. I expect you're fine. At three days out I'd relax completely about it!

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Do you have a fever? I think you should get checked out if you're still feeling rotten even now that the tampon is out.
#4 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 PM

I had a friend who left one in and didn't find it until 28 days later. She was fine. I think this happens fairly often.
#5 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

I'd try a few cloves of garlic inside the vagina. It's naturally antibacterial.

Also, some yogurt too. Make sure you do plain yogurt. I told my bff the yogurt tip and neglected to mention plain yogurt. She used strawberry yogurt for over a week
#6 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 PM

I did that once with a huge clove of garlic. Accidentally left it up there a long ol time. My guess is that you're feeling run down a bit still from all the partying. I bet you're fine. Read up a bit on tss and learn the symptoms. If you get a fever or anything else, time to call a doctor or head to the ER.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#7 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 PM

Don't worry about it. I had the same problem once except I went to the doctor and they did an exam and wow...there was a tampon. lets just say that was a mortifying experience. I was fine and the doctor said it happens all the time.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#8 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakesMancakes View Post
I'd try a few cloves of garlic inside the vagina. It's naturally antibacterial.

Also, some yogurt too. Make sure you do plain yogurt. I told my bff the yogurt tip and neglected to mention plain yogurt. She used strawberry yogurt for over a week
I may never add strawberries to my greek yogurt again. Thanks for the visual!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Banned

I think you're pretty safe. My Mom had a piece of cotton/gauze something or other left inside for a few weeks after a minor sugurcial procedure a couple of years before I was born (this is in the late 70's) and she didn't have any complications.

However, if you continue to be worried I second the garlic clove suggestion. I've only done it once myself, but I've heard from a ton of other women who swear by it. Do be prepared to smell like a loaf of garlic bread if you do, though.

On another note, this thread made me remember the greatest description of removing a tampon I've ever heard. It's near the bottom of this post. Near spot on, if you ask me.
#10 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I had some pains today but overall feeling ok. Still a bit tired but doing better. I'm not running a fever (tracking temps in hopes of conceiving soon). I may do the garlic tonight just as a precaution.
Thanks again for all the help, it made me feel better. I can't imagine having one in for 28 days, wow.
#11 of 11 Old 09-29-2012, 06:24 PM

Oh my god, I did the same thing today. The order was so embarassing and it started on the weekend so I would have had to wait till monday to see the doctor. Thankfully I got some gel and accidently screwed up the tub so had to apply manually. I felt something up there and I was like, OMG I left my tampon up there. The first thought that came to me is that I had to go to the hospital right away, but after reading how much longer people have accidently left a tampon up there, I feel a lot better about this. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences for us...not so experienced :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page