21 month old only vomiting at night...? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-06-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 21 month old niece has been vomiting at night for the past 2 weeks. She is completely fine during the day, some days she may have a less than normal appetite, but otherwise she is fine. She only vomits at night, (anywhere from 1 am to 3 am onset), so a good 7 or 8 hours after dinner. She is showing zero signs of illness, but wakes up and vomits 5 to 7 times (about every 10 minutes for an hour or 2) and then goes back to sleep and is full of energy in the morning. Any ideas? I really don't think its gastro, it's been dragging on too long and she is totally fine all day.
TIA

Carolyn, married to M, momma to K (09/'09) and C (04/'12).
#2 of 4 Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM
LCB

Teething? My lo is about that age and gets very gaggy and refluxy when her molars are coming in. Never actually vomited but acts like she will.

I would also look into seizures. I knew a little girl who vomited at night frequently and it ended up being epileptic seizures. It's not common for seizures to present that way, but sometimes they do.

Me, a husband, a social butterfly 2008, and a cheeky monkey 2011

#3 of 4 Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM

My dd had a similar problem for a while and it turned out to be reflux, as far as we can tell. We moved dinner time about an hour earlier and propped the head of her mattress up a bit with phone books and the vomiting stopped. I know you said she eats a lot earlier than that, but as far as I can remember dd was vomiting around 11 or 12, so a good 4 hours or so after bedtime. Maybe at least raising the head of her bed would be worth a try?

I have also heard of seizures presenting that way, but I know that's pretty rare.

I hope your little niece feels better very soon!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#4 of 4 Old 06-07-2010, 03:50 AM

I would guess reflux. My oldest DD started vomiting at night when she was about 16 months and then it progressed to after every meal within a few weeks. The doc kept telling me it was a stomach bug even months later when it was still constant. She was finally diagnosed with GERD at urgent care and was on meds until she was 3 1/2.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page