how high do you let your child's fever get? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-11-2004, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.*********/a/west8.html
the above article has some interesting information....but I still am not comfortable letting my child have a 104 degree fever....I usually give anitpyritics between 103 and 104....what about you?

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#2 of 22 Old 03-11-2004, 04:55 PM

I try not to use the thermometer and judge by the way ds is acting instead. I can pretty much judge what is normal sick and what is too sick, to the point where I need to give him something. Usually if I try to give him something he will throw it back up. If he is not too lethargic I can usually put him into a bath a little cooler than usual and it will help to bring it down some.
#3 of 22 Old 03-11-2004, 05:00 PM

I've been wondering this too, as DS's fever got to 103.5 last night, which has been the point where I start worrying. We gave him Motrin to sleep, and it went down 2 degrees... was 103.3 again this morning.

I did give Motrin again this morning, but I'm thinking I'll hold off till tonight unless it gets to 104... maybe try a warm bath instead. I've read you don't want to do cold/cool baths because then the body tries to warm itself up, making the fever higher!
#4 of 22 Old 03-11-2004, 05:02 PM

didnt read the link...but if I medicated a fever, it would only be a mild one (I do use pain medicine frm time to time and only do so if there is NO fever) I need to know if the fever gets too high, so I can have her seen.

i have wrapped her in wet towels while in transition or while waiting out a high fever....and it has brought it down somewhat....or at least provided her comfort.
#5 of 22 Old 03-11-2004, 05:06 PM

I thought this was a good article on the subject too:

http://www.mothering.com/10-0-0/html...g-crisis.shtml

#6 of 22 Old 03-11-2004, 05:11 PM

Our pedi told us that for children, 103-104 is considered a moderate fever, and 105-106 is considered a high fever.
#7 of 22 Old 03-11-2004, 06:14 PM

I don't medicate until it goes above 104.5, unless it is climbing and I think it will go high fast.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#8 of 22 Old 03-11-2004, 06:18 PM

I medicate around 102-103, the girls have never had a fever over 104.
#9 of 22 Old 03-11-2004, 08:59 PM

//
#10 of 22 Old 03-11-2004, 10:14 PM

I rarely ever take my kids temps but I do not try to bring a temp down they serve a major purpose in fighting illnesses. I follow the advice in "How To Raise A Healthy Child Inspite of Your Doctor" by Robert Mendelsohn,MD.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#11 of 22 Old 03-12-2004, 03:56 AM

I don't do tylenol or advil, but I give elderflower, chamomile, catnip, yarrow, rosehips or some combination if it seems like it's going to be a high (over 104) one. I also have blue yarrow essential oil which I will put on dd's forehead, to help her sweat the fever out. Otherwise, lots of liquids and lots of rest. Sometimes enforced rest, although if the fever is that high she's usually only interested in lying on the couch.
#12 of 22 Old 03-12-2004, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

"Our pedi told us that for children, 103-104 is considered a moderate fever, and 105-106 is considered a high fever."

Sounds like a cool pediatrician. I think most dr.s consider anything over 101 to be "high" and you should treat it.

I need to look into alternative ways of bringing fever down such as those some of you have mentioned. I have done the wet sock thing before.

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#13 of 22 Old 03-12-2004, 02:13 PM

I try not to use the thermometer either. I give belladonna if he seems too sick, but I try to stay away from tylenol or motrin if he has a fever. Usually, the belladonna works really well, if not, I have Ferrum. Phos. on hand too.
#14 of 22 Old 03-21-2004, 10:10 PM

when my son is sick, he always seems to get really high fevers- 104+
I medicated between 103- 104. He gets better very quickly so I like to stay out of his bodies way and let the fever do it's job as long as I can.

I'm feeling sick today, sore throat. My temp was normal all day untill I decided to induce a fever by taking a hot bath soak. Got my temp up to 102.4 and it's stayed around 100 the rest of the day.

I read alot of interesting things about sweat lodges and saunas on the internet for inducing fever to help illnesses. I hope it helps me!

Shannon
#15 of 22 Old 03-21-2004, 11:35 PM

My son gets really high fevers. I rarely give anything other than chamomile or a bath. Dh, on the other hand really freaks out. The highest that Kaeleb has had..so far...is 104.9. I didn't give him anything and within two hours it was back down to 102.2. My mom freaked out telling me that I was not taking care of my baby because I didn't feed him Tyelonol at the first sign of fever. I will say that if his high fever wouldn't have broken before bedtime, I probably would have given in to dh and used a fever reducer...

Oh, my ped says the same thing...nothing for fever until at least 104-104.5.
#16 of 22 Old 03-22-2004, 04:50 AM
Banned

103 is my boundary. and 101 isn't really sick imo if my child is destroying my place. This has gotten me in shit with my daughter's daycare when I was raising her. They'd tell me she was running a fever and/or diahreah, I'd come get her, take her home and she'd be fine. No fever. No diahreah. Not even a cough. But I couldn't take her back until I got a doctor's note. After the third time I told them "look, I have IBS, having a fever and diahreah is part of the symptoms. Both my doc and I believe she might have it too. All you are doing is pissing my doctor off by having me have to get notes from him all the time." The fifth time they demanded a note and I yelled at them about it, they stopped.

Since my children, nor I, have ever had 103 fevers except after having a 104 or higher, I find this is a good boundary. Anything below 104 I can usually use home treatments to stomp all over it and bring it down. Only when they don't work do I break out the tylenol/motrin/whatever.
#17 of 22 Old 03-22-2004, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I rarely give anything because of what the thermometer says. I use it, just to keep track of how the fever is progressing, but don't let the numbers dictate treatment - with children of course, I was vey careful when one of my babies had a fever (only happened once or twice.)

I go by the child's energy and comfort level. If they can play I don't worry, just keep them well hydrated and nourished and loved. If they are lethargic I keep them cool and use natural remedies. I have used fever reducing medication at bedtime a few times when the child was so miserable they couldn't relax enough to sleep in spite of nursing (when they still were), gentle touch, baths, music, whatever. At that point in the day they just needed to be able to drop off to sleep to heal. The fever may be back up a few hours later, but if they are able to rest I don't worry.

There have been a small number of times that the fever has been high with other troubling systems and then we go to the doctor. Our doctor is great, he can assess the situation and tell me how to treat (or not) the underlying problem. He only encourages Tylenol for comfort, not standard treatment.
#18 of 22 Old 03-22-2004, 06:21 PM

Just thought I'd chime in since I just finished reading How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor. Two points I didn't know about fever that I read in Dr. Mendelsohn's book. 1) A fever won't climb above 107 degrees unless an outside source is causing it, ie. poisoning or heatstroke. Good to know since my husband always freaks out about fevers from illness. 2) High fevers do not cause seizures. It is a rapid rise in temperature that does it -- rapid enough that, in many cases, the seizure occurs before the fever is even noted.

Maybe not helpful to anyone, but I certainly found it interesting.

Tara
#19 of 22 Old 03-23-2004, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thoesly
2) High fevers do not cause seizures. It is a rapid rise in temperature that does it -- rapid enough that, in many cases, the seizure occurs before the fever is even noted.
This (commonly called a ferbile seizure) can also occur when a high fever is brought down too fast. Usually they are harmless, but can seem pretty scary.
#20 of 22 Old 03-23-2004, 02:27 AM

i'm with the 104ish crowd. our ped references a book a lot called Your Child's Health. they talk about how many parents have "fever phobia" They also talk about how fever is the body's normal response to infections, turning on the body's immune system, thereby increasing the release and activity of white blood cells and other germ-killing substances. here is another useful quote:

"In general, the height of the fever doesn't relate to the seriousness of the illness. How sick your child acts is what counts. Fever causes no symptoms until it reaches 102 or 103. Fever causes no permanent harm (such as brain damage) until it reaches 107-108. Fortunately the brain's thermostat keeps untreated fevers due to infections below 105 or 106. The usual fevers (100-104) that all children get are not harmful. Most are due to viral illnesses; some are due to bacterial ones."

I love this book because for each condition, they have a section called Call your Child's Physician: Immedietely If.... Within 24 hours if... During Office Hours If...

i don't medicate unless he is above 104 or if he seems extremely uncomfortable and unable to sleep after we've tried other methods of soothing.
#21 of 22 Old 03-23-2004, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thoesly
Just thought I'd chime in since I just finished reading How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor. Two points I didn't know about fever that I read in Dr. Mendelsohn's book. 1) A fever won't climb above 107 degrees unless an outside source is causing it, ie. poisoning or heatstroke. Good to know since my husband always freaks out about fevers from illness. 2) High fevers do not cause seizures. It is a rapid rise in temperature that does it -- rapid enough that, in many cases, the seizure occurs before the fever is even noted.

Maybe not helpful to anyone, but I certainly found it interesting.
It is helpful to us! We rely on Dr. Mendelsohn's guidelines for fevers (and a lot of other things too). This is a great book.We have never had to medicate our children for fever. We only give Advil or Tylenol if there is a severe earache or headache, and not specifically to break the fever. We've never had a child go above 104.
#22 of 22 Old 03-23-2004, 01:21 PM

I read that article in Mothering and followed that advice with ds 1's last fever. It was only 101-102 though. Yesterday when ds 2's fever shot up to 105 I gave him Motrin and called the pedi. I'm just watching him for other symptoms and treating the fever. If it lasts for 72 hours or he develops new symptoms I'm supposed to take him in to see if it's something bacterial. We go to a regular pedi though, not a holistic or naturopath.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page