pubic hair on 4yo DD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have noted some pubic hairs on 4 and 1/2 year old DD during last few months. Took her for 4yo check up today and pedi felt they were coarser and more than expected. He is referring for blood testing and a bone age test. Anyone have any experience with this? She has no other symptoms... Thanks so much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 01:53 PM

I'm not sure of what is causing the early puberty seen these days...

Growth hormones in dairy and meat, or plant estrogens in soy, are thought to be issues.

I also have come across fluoride:
http://owen.curezone.com/healing/flo...hyroidism.html
#3 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I had never heard of flouride being a factor--our water is flouridated although we use a filter and brush with non-flouride paste. I did read on flouride.org or something like that flouride is found in many foods that we may not think about, esp. canned goods. We only eat organic meat/dairy and no soy. She has had flaxseed since about age one, but not every day and not in high doses. Recently read flax may mimic soy with the estrogens. We'll have to see what the blood work tells... Thanks...
#4 of 9 Old 06-13-2010, 05:42 AM

I just read an article about pets being effected by their owners topical estrogen creams. It said similar cases have been seen in young children. Is she in contact with anyone who might use a topical estrogen cream? The article I read said that once exposure stops, symptoms normally go away.
#5 of 9 Old 06-13-2010, 07:48 PM

Most precocious puberty is idiopathic, meaning they don't know what is causing it. I had it as a kid, and at four, it is unlikely to be related to any particular enviornmental cause. Things like hormones in meat and milk, etc, are certainly likely culprits in the general lowering of puberty age, at such a young age it is unlikely to be related.

They will do an xray of her hands to see what her approximate "bone age" is. The hands work well for this test because the older you are, the fewer bones you have. It helps determine how she is growing. They will do blood tests for various hormones.

However, I would push very hard for a referral to a pediatric endocrinologist. They should do a CT scan or something of the type to rule out issues in the brain that might be causing precocious puberty, but most cases are not related to that. If it is determined that she is entering puberty, there are medications that she can be given to stop this. The reason for doing this is that going through puberty early stunts growth. (It sounds ironic, bc they are usually the tallest kids, but they finish all their growth early and don't grow anymore.) Also, the emotional and social and developmental issues that early puberty encompasses are pretty all encompassing, more so than one might think. It can be scary to give your kids medications like this, but in this kind of case, I would do it for my daughters.

#6 of 9 Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 PM

Can be normal in a child with African ancestry

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#7 of 9 Old 06-13-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for this info. She did have the hand xray and blood work--awaiting results. The pedi mentioned possible referral to an endocrinologist; I'm grateful for the suggestion of making this more of a priority.

I forgot to mention in all this that I did not have precocious puberty, but have secreted colostrum since I was about 20 years old. [My first pregnancy was not until age 32.] MD mentioned a heredity factor could be present too. I never did have the CT myself for any pituitary concerns, but obviously would be more important for my daughter. MD also mentioned adrenal gland tumors, most of which are benign. We are waiting patiently! Thanks to all...
#8 of 9 Old 06-14-2010, 01:37 PM

Good luck. Let us know what you find out. I also think its good you are pushing on this.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#9 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Update--Results of hormone testing and bone-age scan were normal. We are awaiting appointment confirmation from the pediatric endocrinologist, but have been advised it may be as long as a 6 month wait! Sounds like MD now wants to rule out adrenal gland tumor/dysfunction. Will push for a faster visit. Thanks for the support-

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page