giving garlic to kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2010, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How is the most effective way to get it into their system if they won't tolerate it raw? DS (3 years old) is sick and won't take it mixed with honey. What's the next best effective way to give garlic other than raw? I found a garlic tincture...does anyone know that to be effective? Are garlic capsules effective at all? Garlic tea...but doesn't heat destroy the effectiveness?

Any suggestions?

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 AM

What worked for us is tomato sauce. I know it may not be the best meal for a sickling but You can easily hide raw garlic in there. What about a smoothie? I'm not sure about the potency on the other forms of garlic.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:24 PM

I dice garlic, without crashing it in the masher, then mix it with honey and roll them into small balls. Then I freeze them. The my kids swallow the frozen balls with some water / milk.

Worked for us.

When my DD got older, she started to love garlic with salt in olive oil, on a piece of bread. Crush the garlic, add some olive oil and salt, YUM!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! Both the spaghetti sauce and frozen honey ideas sounds great. Thanks for clarifying about dicing the garlic and not pressing it...that might be part of the problem. As I think about it, a lot of the juice gets released and probably makes it even spicier.

I did get a partial clove in honey down him yesterday after promising him he could have a jelly bean afterwards

Thanks again!

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

Old 06-21-2010, 01:17 PM

I make vegetable broth or soup, then add crushed garlic just before serving.

I also smash crushed garlic into butter until the butter is soft enough to spread on bread/toast. Or I butter the bread and add slices of garlic. If you fold the bread or make a sandwich then they don't notice the garlic so much.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:35 AM

We always give garlic (pressed) with yogurt. The milk-base tends to cool the garlic a bit and make it more palatable. DD learned early to swallow without chewing and follow the garlic with milk. I have used Kyolic garlic drops for DS from about 8 mos. as recommended in Healthy Child, Whole Child by Ditchchek and Greenfield, MDs. I do have to mix the Kyolic with organic grape juice, though! The docs in that book recommend giving it with chocolate syrup!! Hmmm... Never tried it, but you know what they say about a "spoonful of sugar!"

User Tag List