Always Exhausted. Where to start? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so tired every day that just going up a flight of stairs taxes me. I am not overweight, or in terrible shape (although I do not work out because I am so tired already). I sleep from about 10pm-630am most of the week, and even longer some days, and yet I am ready and able to nap at noon or earlier. Some days my body is demanding a nap by 2pm.

Some days I think it must be normal. I have two young children, I am nursing, I have a husband, a house, and I work part-time. Other times I think, it can't be healthy that I am struggling to walk home from the train station which is only a couple of blocks from my house.

I don't know what to do, or where to start changing my life/diet. I don't know where to start with my Dr. Hopefully you ladies can help me.

My cousin, who is my age, female on my maternal side, just told me that she has lupus and she was telling me about her symptoms and I couldnt help but think...holy crap, that sounds like me. Only things is she said she might not be able to have children bc of it and I have two.

Bottom line is: I don't know what is wrong with me, but I am starting to think its something that needs to be addressed.

Some other symptoms I have include: sinus issues, environmental allergies (what I don't know), depression, anxiety, acne, and when I get sunburn I seem to have an allergic reaction to it which makes me really itchy. I bruise easily. I could go on.

DS1 06/27/2007, DS2 03/19/2010 :::
#2 of 8 Old 06-23-2010, 12:58 PM

Some ideas that come to mind reading your post:
Low Iron
Flagging Adrenals
Low thyroid function
If it were me I'd consider getting blood work done.
Thyroid panel, ferretin (iron) levels and if the adrenal symptoms fit, a saliva test for adrenal function.
What's your diet like?
#3 of 8 Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 PM

I suffer from chronic fatigue, and it basically sounds like what you're describing, but there's so many things to rule out first. So all I will say is that don't rule out lupus because of the kids things, one of my in laws was just diagnosed with lupus, and she has six children.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 8 Old 06-23-2010, 11:48 PM

What is your diet like (vegetarian, low-carb, high-carb, etc)? Do you currently take any supplements? How's your digestion? Any other symptoms besides the fatigue?

While you are investigating (and I think it's worth getting some blood work done) you might want to consider taking Nettle Infusion (a few cups a day). This might sound weird, and is totally unlike me, but when I read the title to your thread instantly the thought "NETTLE INFUSION" appeared in my brain like a flashing neon light. Weird, huh? Anyway, I couldn't not mention it!!!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#5 of 8 Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post
What is your diet like (vegetarian, low-carb, high-carb, etc)? Do you currently take any supplements? How's your digestion? Any other symptoms besides the fatigue?

While you are investigating (and I think it's worth getting some blood work done) you might want to consider taking Nettle Infusion (a few cups a day). This might sound weird, and is totally unlike me, but when I read the title to your thread instantly the thought "NETTLE INFUSION" appeared in my brain like a flashing neon light. Weird, huh? Anyway, I couldn't not mention it!!!
where do you find nettle infusion?

DS 5-11-06
#6 of 8 Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 AM

You make it.

It's pretty much like making tea. Find a largish glass container (eg mason jar), put a small handful of the herb inside the container then either pour boiling water over the herb and let sit on the counter for many hours (anywhere from 4 hrs to overnight), or alternately pour room temp water in and let it sit in the sunshine for the same amount of time. Then refrigerate. It'll last somewhere from 36-48 hrs. Drink it by the glassful. I find it very refreshing (kind of an herbal iced tea, though in the winter you might prefer to warm it up).

Anyway, I'm no expert. You can find a lot of info about herbs and making infusions at Susun Weed's website. There's also an herbal infusion thread kicking around here that you might want to check out.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#7 of 8 Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
where do you find nettle infusion?
We pick and harvest nettle each spring and dry it for use throughout the year.
When I don't have any I order it from Mt. Rose Herbs - their herbs are THE BEST anywhere.

Here's a blog post I found recently about harvesting nettles:
Nettles - Put Some Sting in Your Spring

When I make infusions I use a quart jar and fill it almost halfway w/ herbs and let steep overnight.
#8 of 8 Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 PM

Other causes of fatigue in an order I think is most likely (note: if you're lowish muscle tone the bottom one moves to top likelihood, also should be checked if there are any other health issues with the fatigue or if there is muscle fatigue or pain along with the other fatigue):

low vitamin D (have this one checked...it's so common...you want 25(OH) D levels and you want to see numbers 50 or above)
sleep disorder (either apnea or more likely for females upper airway resistance syndrome http://www.centerforsoundsleep.com/U...e-Syndrome.php)
thyroid (get a full panel with T3 and T4)
anemia (ferritin levels)
b12 low
adult onset metabolic conditions (check carnitine and coq10 if you've got any low muscle tone even mildly)

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page