In this case, there is no lesser of two evils! - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > In this case, there is no lesser of two evils!
Happy Mom's Avatar Happy Mom 12:00 AM 05-07-2002
Ds, 7 months, developed a bad cold last Monday. His nose constantly ran through out the entire week. That alone didn't bother me because while the mucos was on the thicker side, it was clear. And since I try to avoid over the counter medicines I stayed away from the "cold care" formulas. (I did get Echineca/Eye Bright by Herbs for Kids as it is supports the sinuses & immune system during times of colds, flus, & allergies.) By the end of the week, the mucos became streaked with blood. It is no doubt; the membranes have been bothered enough. I broke down and gave him a dose of Pedia Care. It only stopped the nose from running and therefore making it harder for him to breathe.

One week later, today, I wanted him to be checked out to make sure he didn't have an ear infection or a sinus infection. The cold did start out with a fever and then phased out by the 3rd day. (I was prepared for this because his twin sister was checked out the week before with similar symptons.) His ears checked out to be perfect, no strep throat. The doctor could not diagnose whether it is just a really bad cold or a sinus infection. So she reccommended that we give Neosyrephrine for two days. If that doesn't "dry" it out and bring relief then it could be a sinus infection. If that's the case she gave him a prescription for an antibiotic. The problem is Neosyrephine contains thimerosal. The crap they are yanking out of vaccines. And I don't want to start him on an antibiotic if he does not need one. I did find Neosyrephrine without thimerosal , BUT it is a stronger dose.

I don't want to see him in discomfort anymore but I feel really yucky about both routes.

What can I do to make him more comfortable. I understand a runny nose is doing it's job, but what happens when it brings a good amount of discomfort? Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hera's Avatar Hera 02:25 AM 05-07-2002
This is really a shot in the dark, but....when my allergies are bad I need to make sure I drink lots and lots of water, it seems to make my mucus more runny, but that's good because I don't like that dry feeling.

Also, have you ever done any sinus irrigation like with a bulb syringe or neti pot?? Oh, I just looked again and you're talking about a 7 month old. Probably not an option....

What about finding a saline solution (or making one) without thimerosal and diluting the high-dose nasal spray. That's all a lower dose would be....I wouldn't know how to get the percentages right, but maybe it's just a matter of doing the math?

Or, how about dripping (carefully) some saline solution or even better, breast milk into his nose to loosen things up? That's basically what a nasal spray is doing anyway....
Up