Mothering Forum banner

Possible whooping cough exposure

512 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  tayndrewsmama 
#1 ·
My kids are 9 and almost 6yo, and my 9yo had one DTaP when he was 6 months old. Otherwise they are unvaccinated.

They went over to play at our neighbor's house, and I went over about a half hour later to check with the mom about something. In the course of our discussion, the mom mentioned they had all been sick the past month. (I remember the kids talking at the fence awhile and the neighbor kids saying they couldn't play because they were sick.) She said "the doctors think it is whooping cough," and they'd all been on antibiotics. She was still coughing a little bit, but the kids sounded fine.

So, I'm wondering what the risk of exposure is for my kids? If the neighbors have had it for a month, and have been on antibiotics for at least a week (I'm not sure how long exactly), is the chance they would get it pretty slim? What can I do to minimize the chance they would get it if the neighbors still were contagious - extra Vit C, anything else?

I'm worried they will get it in general, but to be honest, I'm mainly freaked because we have a nonrefundable 3 family vacation planned for the first week of August!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.