Toenail fungus on Toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think my 2 yo DS has toenail fungus on his big toe.

His nail had appeared a bit thick and yellow the past several months, but I have to be honest, I never really thought too much about it. Now however, his nail is starting to split from the nail bed at the bottom. The only thing I can conclude is that he has toenail fungus. I have been putting tea tree oil on it lately, but don't see anything happening. I don't want to take him to the doc as I'm sure they would prescribe something I don't want to give him or put on/in his body.

The things that pop to mind as things that may eliminate this is tea tree oil (I have used this, but only for about 3 days now), GSE, oil of oregano, and vinegar or any combo of these. Has anyone dealt with this issue before and had success with any natural treatment in particular?

I looked online and saw a few home remedies that called for soaking the toe in bleach . Not sure I want to do that!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Marnica,
The damage to the nail is not reversible. The TTO (or similar product) will not change that. What it will do is allow a new, healthy nail to grow. You won't see a change until you see growth. TTO often does work, as does hydrogen peroxide, as well as vinegar. I tend to shy away from using any oil NEAT on the skin for the amount of time it would take to clear this up.

I have started using calendula on people. I use the succuss directly on the nail. It's new for me, and I can't report results yet. I will post back when I do! I know that one of them said that the pain they had associated with the fungus was eradicated within minutes and hasn't returned. That's good news, but doesn't mean the fungus is being taken care of. Calendula has a reputation for doing so, however, so we shall see.

Essential oils are said to alter the gut flora, and something as strong as TTO certainly has the capacity to do so, which is my concern. But people do use it with success so you have to just decide what you feel comfortable doing. Best of luck!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:33 AM

What about diluting the TTO in coconut oil. I've done that before, and haven't noticed any adverse effects from the TTO.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 07-01-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Well,

We saw the ND yesterday for other reasons and I asked him to look at the nail. He said it was not fungus, but trauma to the nail. I have my doubts because I think I would have known if DS smashed his toe right? I mean it would have been black and blue I would think and nothing like that has happened. He seemd pretty sure, but honestly I have my doubts because as I mentioned, prior to the nail splitting from the nail bed, the nail had appeared yellowish and thick for a while.....???? Now I'm note sure if I should continue treating with tto or whatever I try or just let it be??

pianojazzgirl - Sorry about Hal

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post
What about diluting the TTO in coconut oil. I've done that before, and haven't noticed any adverse effects from the TTO.
problem is, you wouldn't notice straight away...it would develop over time. However diluting in coconut oil is a good suggestion and far better than applying it NEAT.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
problem is, you wouldn't notice straight away...it would develop over time. However diluting in coconut oil is a good suggestion and far better than applying it NEAT.
Hmmm... good point. I guess TTO is best used on a short-term basis then? I'm currently using it on suspected staph (diluted in CO like I mentioned), but I'm now worried about neg side effects. Whenever I've used it in the past it's been pretty short-term use, but this time I've been using it for a week and the rash still hasn't cleared up. I'm wondering if I should try something else. (Sorry to hi-jack the thread OP!!!).

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 AM

i would say a week in if you aren't noticing any improvement that it might be time to try a different tact.

You know, I'm just ultra conservative with anything that can alter gut flora in a negative fashion. Clearly that will affect the immune system because a large part of our immune system is in our gut. For that reason I use things like EO's sparingly.

Something like calendula is quite effective and carries no real risk. You could get the succus in a spray and just apply it frequently. I tend to use homeopathy for staph, but calendula does a great job or arresting things topically.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Thanks so much Panserbjorne. I'm going to search out some Calendula today.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Honestly, toenail fungus is tough stuff. I've got it.

I've used tto, and it does seem to inhibit the fungus if used religously. Sadly, it does not kill mine off completely, and if I stop using it, the fungus comes back full force. I've used it neat and diluted. Neat does a better job of keeping the fungus in check, but it's murder on the cuticles and surrounding skin.

I've talked to the doc about the systemic medication you can take. For me, the possible side effects outweigh the benefits, so I'm just learning to live with the fungus, which is ugly, but otherwise not much of a problem.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:55 AM

Just a thought, that maybe it is like excema in that it is a sign of healing/moving something out of your body from the inside out. So treating from the outside isn't going to ever make it go away. It could be yeast overgrowth in the gut. Yeast can mutate into a fungus and travel in the body. Sounds like sci fi but it's not!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:23 AM

No, I think it's widely accepted that it's true, but similar to eczema most people don't want to wait the year or so it can take to change the inside with the hopes that the outside will be affected. Most create comfort for eczema too. I don't think that it's helpful to do something suppressive, but that's why I'm suggesting something that isn't.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Vicks Vapor Rub. Every night to the toe and cover with clean white sock.

Toe nails grow slowly so you have to commit to a treatment for a good 6 months.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Bea

I just wanted to not discount the trauma/ some other reason than fungus.

I've lost a few toe nails in my life and I've no idea why. I have no recollection of trauma to the toes and ones I have traumatised (a dreadful ceramic cat bowl incident springs to mind), the toe nail was fine. Bruised and painful but never fell off.

The toe nails that have fallen off for whatever reason looked odd for a while... opaque (no pink visible) and yellowish, then separated at the nail bed as a new nail grew in.

I have perfectly lovely toenails btw, no hint of infection.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
Old 07-04-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
Vicks Vapor Rub. Every night to the toe and cover with clean white sock.

Toe nails grow slowly so you have to commit to a treatment for a good 6 months.
I've tried this, too, and it does about the same as TTO. It inhibits the fungus, but doesn't eliminate it.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
I just wanted to not discount the trauma/ some other reason than fungus.

I've lost a few toe nails in my life and I've no idea why. I have no recollection of trauma to the toes and ones I have traumatised (a dreadful ceramic cat bowl incident springs to mind), the toe nail was fine. Bruised and painful but never fell off.

The toe nails that have fallen off for whatever reason looked odd for a while... opaque (no pink visible) and yellowish, then separated at the nail bed as a new nail grew in.

I have perfectly lovely toenails btw, no hint of infection.
Thanks for this! This is exactly how it seems to be progressing. I have chosen to let it be and see what happens. I have also had fungus (that I think I got froma icky nail salon) and it did not look like DS's nail looks. Im ssuming trauma...if this is the case, it will fall off and a new nail will grow in it's place...problem solved. If it turns out to be fungus, I guess Ill know it eventually.

User Tag List