Acne...in a 1 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is almost 15mo. He has had these spots on his face, right under his nose, for a few weeks now. They don't seem to bother him. It looks a lot like teenage acne.

I can snap a photo if you need to see it...I have no idea where to start on what could be causing it.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 12:27 PM

Does his breath stink? Has he been exposed to anyone with a cold sore?

My DS1 had herpes simplex around the age of 2 (my mother had a nasty cold sore at the time. I told her to keep her distance, but alas ), and a couple of the sores were on the outside, between his nose and upper lip, and looked like pustual zits, esepcially after a warm bath (the steam draws out the pus :Bleck) They lasted a couple of weeks. His gums were horrible swollen too, though. Like, I could brush his teeth because he would CRY and they would bleed. (I found this out the first time i tried and wouldnt dare to try again til the swelling went down)
Old 07-07-2010, 12:43 PM

My son had impetigo inside his nose. Eventually the spots moved outside of his nose. They looked like a pimple, would pop and then crust over.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
Does his breath stink? Has he been exposed to anyone with a cold sore?

My DS1 had herpes simplex around the age of 2 (my mother had a nasty cold sore at the time. I told her to keep her distance, but alas ), and a couple of the sores were on the outside, between his nose and upper lip, and looked like pustual zits, esepcially after a warm bath (the steam draws out the pus :Bleck) They lasted a couple of weeks. His gums were horrible swollen too, though. Like, I could brush his teeth because he would CRY and they would bleed. (I found this out the first time i tried and wouldnt dare to try again til the swelling went down)
No...they aren't really big enough, I don't think anyway, to be cold sores...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post
My son had impetigo inside his nose. Eventually the spots moved outside of his nose. They looked like a pimple, would pop and then crust over.
Hmm...off to Google a photo

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

So it kind of looks like impetigo...but it's not crusty or anything. I put some antibiotic cream on it and I'm going to keep an eye on it. If it gets worse or starts to spread (which, it may be doing that but I can't tell yet) I'll take him in to a doctor.

I tried to snap a photo but my battery is dead so it's charging atm.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Sounds like the staph infection my 1 year old had on his arm. The dr said the mouth/nose area is most common, actually, for staph because a child can itch/rub and cause small scratches, and then bacteria from the mouth or nose can get into the scratches to cause the infection. Acc. to my ped., only prescription abx cream AND abx taken orally can really knock it out. At that, it took us beyond a full 10 days to completely rid him of the infection, which didn't even look that bad. May be worth a trip to the dr., if you have one.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
DS is almost 15mo. He has had these spots on his face, right under his nose, for a few weeks now. They don't seem to bother him. It looks a lot like teenage acne.

I can snap a photo if you need to see it...I have no idea where to start on what could be causing it.
How is he doing?

I came here looking for advice on this same issue. My 4 yo and almost 6 yo have had a persistent rash for about 6 months. DH was using a heavy duty topical steroid (which was his for poison ivy) to keep the inflammation down and unwittingly disguised the scope of the problem.

We finally stopped the steroid and 4 yo DD2 (who has it worse) just finished a 10 day course of an oral antibiotic and a prescription antibiotic ointment. It's clearing up but nowhere near gone and still not as mild as <6 yo DD1's was. And even DD1's is still showing despite being on the same topical antibiotic.

Anyhow, I found this Dr. Sears article in an earlier post on this forum.

I think I'll try the more rigorous regimen for a couple of days and see what happens. Otherwise I'll probably ask the doctor for another course of antibiotics.

Good luck.

Quote:
Dr. Sears Article on Impetigo
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T110241.asp

If the infection continues to worsen despite the above treatment, then proceed with the following steps three times a day:

Wash with warm soapy water.

Apply a hot washcloth to the area for 10 minutes (this will improve blood flow to the area and help the body fight the infection).

Apply diluted hydrogen peroxide, than wash off after two minutes.

Apply 10% diluted Betadine solution (mix 1 tablespoon of this over-the-counter brownish red antiseptic with 10 tablespoons of water) and let it dry for two minutes.

Thoroughly wash off all Betadine.

Apply a prescription antibiotic ointment called Bactroban. ...
ETA we already have the prescr ointment Bactroban (aka Mupirocin).

~Cath
Old 08-05-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Cath: It comes and goes. MIL says it looks like impetigo (the middle brother had it I think) and all they did was put a strong antibiotic cream on it. Actually, BIL2 had staph a year or so ago and might still have some...

User Tag List