VitC, powder, pills, camu, sodium ascorbate??? Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had some success dealing with adrenal fatigue by taking a combo of vitamin C, CoQ10 and a B complex at the suggestion of a fellow MDCer. However, I am really tired of taking the sodium ascorbate powder several times a day.

--Do I really need to take the powder, or could I just take some vitamin C pills?

--Is sodium ascorbate (as opposed to, say, camu powder or something) the best absorbable vitamin C for purposes of restoring your adrenals?

**I am nursing and haven't experience any troubles with the vitamin C yet. But, I also plan to TTC in the next few months and I am not sure what I need to know, if anything, about taking lots of vitamin C...or camu...or SA...or whatever while TTC or while pregnant so any info anyone has regarding that would be helpful too.

Sorry to be so ignorant about the situation. I've tried researching and I just can't come up with any good source of information!
#2 of 4 Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 PM

Have read that large doses of vit. C could cause you to abort but have no idea how high this has to be. This was back in 2007 I read this online and have not researched it in great depth. I supped with Vit. C at the time I was pregnant, but not too high for that reason. I was used to many grams prior to conceiving, and I cut back to just 1-3 grams a day to be safe.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#3 of 4 Old 07-11-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
But, I also plan to TTC in the next few months and I am not sure what I need to know, if anything, about taking lots of vitamin C...or camu...or SA...or whatever while TTC or while pregnant so any info anyone has regarding that would be helpful too.
Have you thought about acerola powder for the vitamin C?

From another site (w/ a more expensive acerola powder), some info on amount of vit C in acerola powder:
Quote:
Serving size: 1.5 teaspoon

<snip>

Amount per serving: 5700 mg of acerola cherry extract powder, providing 270 mg of naturally occurring food source of real vitamin C
And from WAPF:
Quote:
Acerola Tablets: A berry rich in ascorbic acid, acerola provides vitamin C with numerous cofactors, including bioflavonoids and rutin, to optimize the body's uptake and use of ascorbic acid. Vitamin C, the most important dietary antioxidant, was popularized by Linus Pauling who recommends taking pure ascorbic acid in amounts up to 15 grams a day for a variety of ailments. But large quantities of vitamin C may be harmful to the kidneys and can lead to deficiencies in bioflavonoids. Only small quantities of natural vitamin C in the form of acerola tablets can provide the same protection as large amounts of pure ascorbic acid, without the side effects.
Just a little more: http://www.chinese-herbs.org/acerola/

Just in case you are interested, we have a ttc/pregnancy nutrition/supplements thread going on in the TF forum--the focus is on finding foods/superfoods that can take the place of actual supps. Good luck figuring this all out!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#4 of 4 Old 07-11-2010, 04:27 PM

I think SA is great when higher doses are warranted, and is far superior to ascorbic acid supplementation, but I don't really care for it.

I also think that any time we can get our nutrients from food or food based supplements, we are better off (bioavailability, co-factors, life force, etc.)

We use amla and camu camu for daily/chronic needs and SA for more acute needs.

I think you should experiment a bit and do what FEELS good/right for YOU.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page