Magnesium Oil (X-posted in Allergies) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-11-2010, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if you all have discussed this and I missed it, but just wanted to share this info and get all of your thoughts on it!

Just fyi, I'm cutting/pasting most of this from my superfood/supplements/preconception plan thread (please come over and give me your thoughts ladies! )

Woo hoo--magnesium supp I'm planning to try (on the rec. of another MDC mama--thanks Beth!) is magnesium (chloride) oil. From what I've read, it's even better absorbed/utilized than epsom salts (not sure this is true or not) and can be cheaply made at home. The site I was reading about it on described using it on the skin being similar to what it would be like to swim in mineral rich water (totally traditional IMO! )

Here is some info on it: http://www.silvermedicine.org/magnesium-chloride.html

Quote:
When faced with the possibility of a magnesium deficiency, most people would simply seek a prescription from a medical doctor, or perhaps simply go to the local vitamin and supplement store to get an internal magnesium supplement, maybe in the form of capsules, tablets, or perhaps even a powder. While supplementing with magnesium citrate may be an option, there are several points that need to be carefully considered.

Magnesium is very poorly adsorbed through the digestive tract
Some extreme cases of magnesium deficiency completely resist oral supplementation
Even when serum levels may show normal levels of mangesium, this is not a guarantee that magnesium is actually available at a cellular level, where it is needed the most
Even when successful, oral supplementation can take up to six months to correct the imbalance, and even then, there is no guarantee that the magnesium is availble where it is needed most (due to severe body disfunction caused by the deficiency)
Luckily, there is a safe, effective, and affordable way to deliver magnesium into the body... One is which as natural and has been used by humankind since before recorded history: Magnesmium chloride.

Using magnesium chloride transdermally results in the rapid cellular-uptake of magnesium through the skin. By bypassing the digestive system all together, one does not need to focus on the many digestive problems that may hinder the biovailability of magnesium.
Quote:
Magnesium oil is made by rehydrating magnesium chloride crystals; just enough water is added to create a very light oil-like substance. In actually, there are no oils present in magnesium chloride oil.

A small amount of magnesium chloride may then be massaged or rubbed into any area an individual feels needs treatment.
Quote:
The most affordable way to acquire transdermal magnesium chloride is to purchase food grade Nigari flakes. Simply fill a plastic "drip" bottle with magnesium flakes, and hydrate with high quality water (or colloidal silver). Keep the bottle filled with magnesium flakes, and refill the water inbetween uses. There is no need to actually work the flakes into a pure oil unless planning to resell... Maximum saturation will eventually be achieved, although it may take a few weeks for complete saturation.

Individuals can elect to buy "Magnesium Oil" or "Transdermal Magnesium Oil" from retailers. However, there are definately quality concerns and there is a great deal of unsubstantiated hype associated with different brands.

More on the transdermal mag chloride stuff:
http://magnesiumforlife.com/transder...h-transdermal/

http://www.worldwidehealthcenter.net/articles-358.html
Interesting:
Quote:
According to Daniel Reid the Epsom salts some people take as a magnesium supplement contains magnesium sulfate, which is rapidly excreted through the kidneys and therefore difficult to assimilate. This would explain in part why the effects from Epsom salt baths do not last. Whole sea salt contains magnesium chloride and magnesium bromide, which are easily assimilated and metabolized in the human body.
Quote:
The bottom line is that transdermal magnesium therapy speeds up the process of nutrient repletion in much the same was as intravenous methods. Like intravenous, transdermal application of magnesium can deliver higher doses of this key mineral to the cells. Bypassing digestion allowing for deeper tissue saturation.
How to make magnesium chloride oil: http://www.ehow.com/how_5637686_make...oride-oil.html

Another tutorial (this one seems to be more theraputic/potent): http://www.ehow.com/how_5918363_make...-oil-pain.html

It mentions:
Quote:
Purchase nigari flakes at an Asian food market or online. Nigari flakes are magnesium chloride derived from sea salt and are usually used for making tofu. A one-pound container typically costs less than $2.
Here is an online resource for nigari flakes (under $2 a lb!): http://www.naturalimport.com/inc/sdetail/6922

http://magnesiumforlife.com/transder...magnesium-oil/

Quote:
With magnesium oil, the concentrate can simply be applied to the skin or poured into bath water, and in an instant we have a powerful medical treatment. Intensive transdermal and oral magnesium therapy can be safely applied day in and day out for consistent health benefits. Magnesium oil is nothing short of a miracle to a person deficient in magnesium. So clear and observable are the effects that there is no mistake, no mysticism, no false claim made.
Quote:
Daniel Reid, author of Tao of Detox says, “Using magnesium oil is the quickest and most convenient way to transmit magnesium chloride into the cells and tissues through the skin. 2-3 sprays under each armpit function as a highly effective deodorant, while at the same time transporting magnesium swiftly through the thin skin into the glands, lymph channels, and bloodstream, for distribution throughout the body. Spray it onto the back of the hand or the top of the feet any time of day or night for continuous magnesium absorption. Regardless of where you apply the spray on the body, once it penetrates the surface of the skin, the body transports it to whichever tissues need magnesium most.”

I visited JaneS's WAHMarket, and found Jane's favorable opinion on magnesium oil, which I wanted to add to this thread:

And she also has this to say a/b magnesium oil:

Quote:
Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil

This is another product I cannot live without... and the Ancient Minerals Oil form of magnesium is the best absorbed, doesn't alter gut function (doesn't give you the runs!) and is third party tested to be pure.

Magnesium is one of the lowest minerals in the standard American diet. It's hard to get a lot of this nutrient... and the benefits of magnesium supplementation are great. (Or should I say the deficiency of magnesium causes many health problems.) For digestion, the heart, the brain, the teeth and bones. Magnesium supports the function of hundreds of enzymes in the body.

Personally it helps me completely relax and handle stress on a day to day basis. I honestly cannot believe the difference in my personality and mood during what is clearly the most difficult time in my life (going thru divorce). I also use it on my son and am trying to get his stores stocked up since he probably inherited his deficiency from my depleted body. He is even more of a happy guy and sleeps so well when using this!

For more info see Dr. Carolyn Dean's book The Magnesium Miracle and Marc Sircus OMD's Transdermal Magnesium Therapy.

Sounds like there are some awesome possibilities, and for a possibly very low cost!

I've also read some folks saying it burns the first few times they tried it--so if you try it, go slowly! I'll certainly lyk what happens if/when we try it!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#2 of 3 Old 07-11-2010, 01:58 PM

The sulfate in Epsom salts is important for the suflation detox pathway specifically. The mag chloride doesn't provide the same benefits.

both magnesium and sulfate are beneficial. the chloride is beneficial for thyroid issues too.

I'd suggest both/and, not either/or.

Pat

I have a blog.
#3 of 3 Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Ahhhh--thanks Pat! I personally really do need the sulfation helping stuff too...

Good to know!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page