Molluscum in 2 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter has mulluscum on her arm and chest. It started as a couple little dots, which I showed to our pediatrician and now there are approximately 25 on her body and they appear to be spreading. We were going to get them cut out but the pediatrician said it would be a torture session and advised us to go to a dermatologist. We have an appointment with one and we believe they will use "Beetlejuice" to treat the molluscum. This causes blistering and eventual healing of the spots. We are very worried about the pain she will go through and that this is not FDA approved. We have been usuing a homeopathic serum available at Walgreens called Zymaderm. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what you did. There are many products for sale on line and I feel overwhelmed and worried. Any advice/shared experience would be much appreciated!

Best Regards
#2 of 4 Old 07-14-2010, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The little bit of research I did on molluscum indicates that while it looks kind of alarming, it is essentially harmless. I gather that many people don't do anything to treat it. It goes away on its own in a few months or a few years.

I don't know what Beetlejuice is besides the name of a star, and an awesome movie.

You want to be careful of treatments that require the lesions to be punctured or abraised because that releases the virus and could possibly spread it further.

Wikipedia says some folks have good luck treating it with Australian lemon myrtle.

I'm sorry, Mama. It hurts us when there's something up with our babies.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 4 Old 07-14-2010, 11:31 AM

My son had it last year and it resolved on its own with no treatment. He kept scratching it which spread it so I had to make sure he stopped. Sorry your little one has it.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#4 of 4 Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 AM

my husband had it for over a year on his stomach. its would get better and come back and get better and return again... finally it disappeared. tea tree oil helped but after a while it started to give him a rash (probably overuse... i think if you use a Q tip and just dab it on individual spots it would be better).

I never got it but certainly had a lot of exposure. our doctor said its not really anything to worry about, despite it looking kind of alarming. and sometimes it takes only months to go away and yes, sometimes years.

good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page