Interstitial Cystitis? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 07-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me IC symptoms are the same as UTI symptoms..burning, painful bladder when I go pee, urgency without much urine, ect. I went into remission years ago when I became pregnant.

I will say that after dealing with IC for a few years that I kinda panic when I feel any bladder discomfort. I go straight to the abx when I suspect infection because they are hard to get rid of for me/ reoccur once they start.

My period and pms have made it kinda confusing for me since I feel bloated and need to urinate a lot more now. So I try to drink lots of fluids and watch my urine color as a precaution. If I start to feel twinges/pain then I try to eat and drink gently..not too much acid, caffeine, or spicy food.

I did all the dx test and was given Ditrophan which helped, but not 100%. So far I am the only one in the family to go through all of this. My mom, aunts, cousins have all complained about urgency as they get older. Some of them have had prolapse bladder correction. They say it helps for at first , but then the urgency returns again after a few months.

The one thing that I have noticed is red wine is a no-no for me. I actually had to mix a spoon of baking soda in a glass of water the last two times I had red wine. Riesling for me.
#32 of 33 Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikesmom View Post
For me IC symptoms are the same as UTI symptoms..burning, painful bladder when I go pee, urgency without much urine, ect. I went into remission years ago when I became pregnant.

I will say that after dealing with IC for a few years that I kinda panic when I feel any bladder discomfort. I go straight to the abx when I suspect infection because they are hard to get rid of for me/ reoccur once they start.

My period and pms have made it kinda confusing for me since I feel bloated and need to urinate a lot more now. So I try to drink lots of fluids and watch my urine color as a precaution. If I start to feel twinges/pain then I try to eat and drink gently..not too much acid, caffeine, or spicy food.

I did all the dx test and was given Ditrophan which helped, but not 100%. So far I am the only one in the family to go through all of this. My mom, aunts, cousins have all complained about urgency as they get older. Some of them have had prolapse bladder correction. They say it helps for at first , but then the urgency returns again after a few months.

The one thing that I have noticed is red wine is a no-no for me. I actually had to mix a spoon of baking soda in a glass of water the last two times I had red wine. Riesling for me.
Yes! When I became pregnant with my son, I felt awesome. I never had any IC symptoms and this was the time I was most concerned about. I thought that was so odd. I had a living being pressing on my bladder but no IC? It only now has started to come back in twinges (DS is 3 now). I think not drinking enough water can affect me as well!
#33 of 33 Old 09-17-2010, 10:23 AM

Ok, this is making more and more sense about the constellation of symptoms that could have the thyroid as the cause... Jess, I just sent you a PM right before I came here to post!

Let me back up:
I'm finding that there is a correlation with hypothyroidism and IC.

Apparently thyroid hormone malfunction can cause the bladder lining to "constantly be denuded" due to protein and other cell synthesis being impaired.

This was mentioned in the best book I've read so far in a several month long quest to determine what is going on with my and DS's thyroid:

"Hypothyroidism: Type 2" by Mark Starr, MD:
http://www.21centurymed.com/?page_id=12

I think the reason why this connection is not being discussed is that you CAN have normal thyroid blood tests yet still have a problem with utilization of the hormone within the body's cells. I've had normal blood tests for 15 years, yet tons of symptoms, so doctors have always said it's not my thyroid, it's not my thyroid.... Well, I'm gradually finding it is!

Quote:
With Type 2 Hypothyroidism, the thyroid gland produces “normal” amounts of hormone, but the cells are unable to utilize the hormone properly. Some experts call this thyroid hormone resistance (which may be regarded as similar to insulin resistance).

Laboratory tests showing inadequate bloodstream levels of thyroid hormone make it easy to diagnose Type 1 hypothyroidism. However, lab tests fail to detect Type 2 hypothyroidism, because despite adequate bloodstream hormone levels, the cells are unable to accept and utilize that hormone (for a variety of reasons...
This would make sense too that selenium helped me as it enables conversion of the storage thyroid hormone, T4, to the active form, T3... a selenium deficiency can cause hypoT because of this. But selenium still hasn't relieved a boatload of other hypoT symptoms I have:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_s...ochecklist.htm

More comprehensive symptoms are discussed in Starr's book I haven't seen elsewhere such as having a baby over 9lbs and overdue gestation, and mucin accumulation by pinching upper arm:
http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/thyroid.php

Normal skin on upper arm is thin like the first picture of the man, if you have thickened skin, it means mucin, a thick gel like substance, has started accumulating and is ONLY indicative of hypothyroidism when it starts overproducing in certain areas of the body. The upper thigh is another area, the face and eye region and hands and ankles are other common areas as the disease progresses. Mucin can invade other organs in the body and cause digestive and heart and lung and brain symptoms as well.

This is leading me to my DS's allergy and food intolerance and respiratory problems too as his BBT's are low, he has cold intolerance and a number of other frankly hypoT symptoms.

I've also been finding a lot of correlation with fibromyalgia actually being caused by low thyroid function as well, and other classically linked IC symptoms such as IBS and generalized inflammation.

Do you have low thyroid symptoms or a family history of thyroid problems?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page