lymph node questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i have posted a couple of months ago about my sons swollen lymph nodes. i still have questions

we did a CBC which came back normal, so we are not hugely concerned with the lymph nodes, except for the fact that they are not going down. why could this be? i know children are encountering foreign matter all the time and building their immune system, however, our chiropractor said that my sons lymph nodes were larger than most....

so my questions:

-are they swollen for a good reason, or after 5 months should i try to get them to go down some other way?
-what would be a concern for them being swollen for so long?

he has only had 1 little tummy bug over the course of these 5 months and it wasnt even that serious. here's what im doing for him in terms of trying to clear his system:

-visit the chiro every 2 weeks
-limit sugar and processed grains intake(he never really had much of it anyway, but he probably gets some form about 2x per month)
-just brought out our mini tramp recently and try to get him to jump daily
-epsom baths 1 day a week
-just started green smoothies
-he hasnt had dairy in probably the last 6 months
-probiotics daily

a couple of other concerns that could possibly be related are:

-only poops once a day
-has mildly low iron which 2 out of 3 docs are not concerned about

my theory is that he has a sluggush digestive system, possibly because of an allergy or sensitivity, therefore he is not absorbing iron as well, and his body can't rid of things as optimally as one would hope

aahhhhh....the body is so complicated! thinking of making garlic lemonade and possibly castor oil packs. thoughts? information? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chronic strep?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

well he's never been diagnosed with strep or had any fevers...could he have chronic without having fevers? i used to get strep every year as an older child. hmmm??
Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 PM

My DD has had 2 enlarged lymph nodes in her neck since she was 6 months old- no rhyme or reason! I just check them periodically to make sure they don't get bigger and stay bigger. If the CBC came back ok, I wouldnt worry, sometimes they stay big permanently.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 AM

I would do the castor oil packs. I would also do what I could to make sure his system wasn't overly acidic as that can create problems with drainage. Is the chiropractor feeling like the tissues feel good and things are moving?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

yes, thank you, i think i will try castor oil packs. for a 2 year old: i could put castor oil on paper towels and then tape to his neck? i think i read this from a previous post of yours. how would i get them warm though? we dont have a microwave.

i will reexamine his diet to see if it's too acidic. we've been following the blood type A diet which im pretty sure is not acidic in nature, as we have low stomach acid to begin with. but thats interesting, because i have a strange feeling that his body doesnt process meat that well, blood type A's dont in general anyway, but because hes obviously not absorbing the iron in the meat, and i have given him meat daily from when he was 10 months old or so, probably twice a day.

his chiropractor feels them at every visit and notes they are still enlarged, she says she is not concerned about anything serious, but i havent asked her if they are moving or staying the same size or anything. i would assume she would let me know if there was a problem, but i will ask next visit. she is very proactive in general.

thank everyone for your input, the pieces will slowly but surely be coming together!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:42 AM

this is completely anecdotal and I don't expect you to shift your perspective based on this post. However. I've posted this before. I'm a type A and as a vegan AND vegetarian I was highly acidic. I could never figure it out because on a PLANT based diet (I didn't eat grains or refined sugar or anything for years) that shouldn't be the case for anyone. I kept trying to shift the pH and it was an exercise in frustration. Then, in 2005 I went on the SCD from that that diet. So very few veggies, limited fruit and TONS of meat/eggs/dairy etc. I was worried about the acidic nature in the back of my head but it wasn't my choice to do it...it was for my daughter and if it was going to kill me I was still going to do it.

Well, funny thing happened. My body alkalinized. My *theory* is that the pH is more tied to minerals than anything else. As a type "A" I'm not supposed to eat meat, but as my digestion improved on an animal based diet I alkalinized. All I'm saying is that sometimes people have the right concepts in some ways that don't really work for individuals in the way they think they should.

I am still eating animal products and have stayed quite balanced. I will never personally go back to a veg/vegan diet-at least not anytime soon. I was not thriving on it. I didn't know because I didn't have another frame of reference. Again, it's not about the diet-it's about what MY body needed. I had enough damage that it just wasn't feasible at that point.

The only hope I had was to eat meat because my digestion was so poor. I had other work to do but it was a part of *MY* healing. I'm just throwing it out there because there are many ways to get to the same destination. It may be that he's not digesting the meat well, but that doesn't always mean he'll be better without it. Just my two cents!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

very interesting! i do believe that every body is unique, so it makes sense to me. now, how to figure out my sons....!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
My *theory* is that the pH is more tied to minerals than anything else.
Yep, Weston Price's research showed that it was a high mineral diet which still produced alkaline bodies eating very high acid foods.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Yep, Weston Price's research showed that it was a high mineral diet which still produced alkaline bodies eating very high acid foods.
whelp, there you go.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:55 AM

We have a machine called the lymph star pro that would do wonders for your son. You can call the company and ask them questions about your sons swollen lymph nodes for some really good advise since they are so educated in the lymphatic system and thats all they do lymph research. They are very nice and always happy to offer advise.

lymphstarpro.com

xoxoxox

Old 07-25-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info chakra!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
We have a machine called the lymph star pro that would do wonders for your son. You can call the company and ask them questions about your sons swollen lymph nodes for some really good advise since they are so educated in the lymphatic system and thats all they do lymph research. They are very nice and always happy to offer advise.

lymphstarpro.com
that link didn't appear to go to a live site...are they down?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bumping this thread as I am dewaling with this in my baby. Swollen lymphs on the base of his skull since birth. I know it bothers him as he wont nurse resting his head ever and the Drs say to give him tylenol all the time, and wont do any further testing. So since this thread, nycmom, how is your ds coming along?

I wonder if it is because mine are swollen alot or from the lyme?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 AM

has he been tested for mono?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 AM

could be from lyme? Do you know why yours are swollen? Are they hard?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 AM

It could be something called "shotty lymph nodes"--nodes that swelled for illness and never went down and are now enlarged and hard. I responded to your other thread because I was being scanned for large hard non-painless lymph nodes. I had a CT scan in February, three months later, an ultrasound, and yesterday another ultrasound (They keep scanning it every couple months). It isn't shrinking, but it hasn't grown either, and there are no signs of cancer (I also had it biopsied). Every indication is that it's just a couple lymph nodes that are now permenantely enlarged.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 AM

when they are hard I have had great success with calc fluor cell salts and castor oil packs.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:10 PM

I always want to say everrything is from lyme as it usually ends up being from it, but I really don't know. I not only have large lymphs like my ds, but my neck is numb most of the time. It comes and goes fro years like that. One thing I did realize is that when I eat grains, they swell and feel sore. I really don't want to cut out grains, as I have almost nothing to eat from allergies. But I wonder if that is why my nursing son has issues, and I would be willing to change for him.

We havent had cell salts for a long time beacuse of the dairy and trialed them the other day. My 3 yr old got a super 103 fever, and I felt crappy. I have no idea how ds was, but he was verrrry cranky. I guess I should try non lactose ones now.

AllyRea, interesting about them never going back down, and do they ever hurt? As I think that they cause my ds alot of discomfort, that he wont nurse right without crying when I touch his neck.

This may be a silly question, but what lymph nodes are we talking about? It just occured to me that there are many lymphs through the body.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM

yup, my littlest needs lactose free as well.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Oh why do I do this? I had a grain breakfast and I am now feeling swelling in the back of my neck. I am having a hard time cutting out grains.

Now how do I do a castor pack for a wiggly 1 yr old? Not sure which one is harder- cutting out grains or applying sticky oil and a heating pad and keeping it in place for a runing baby.

I guess I could tie a rope around his neck with the castor pack and duct tape him to a chair. Oh wait that doesn't sound too safe.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:36 AM

you could just rub it in. when they refused packs I would just apply it regularly as opposed to doing a couple of packs a week.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

bluebirdmama1, i believe he still has swollen lymph nodes on his neck, but i will say that a couple of our other concerns, dark circles under eyes and elimination, has gotten much better since we added green smoothies, eat less meat(we were eating meat twice a day), and loosely following our blood type A diet. its hard to say what might have made the difference, but i think its everything. we are also getting an allergy test for him at the end of august, so im sure that will tell more. i have not yet tried the castor oil packs, but still intend to.

i guess we're not too concerned anymore because his blood test came back fine and i know that every body is different, and children will especially have swollen lymph nodes as they are coming into contact with so much. i do think they've gotten a bit smaller though, i really try not to check them often. and i have a feeling it might have something to do with outdoor allergens because this started in march. so, learning everyday! i hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Arrg! My 1 yr old just got a new huge lymph lump behind his ear. I just got some castor oil, but I feel like that is a bandaid if he is getting new ones, and what is the cause. I am a mess as to what is causing them. And at the same time, he is getting loads of bad diaper rashes. I just don't know what to do?!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 AM

do you think it's the lyme? IS anything else happening right now?

Castor oil is really more than a bandaid. It's not going to actively address the lyme, but what castor oil does is increase the ability of the lymph nodes to drain and increase macrophage activity. It's incredibly healing. It doesn't directly address lyme, but it does support the body and allows it to do it's job with more efficacy.

There are ND's out there who refuse to take on patients if they won't commit to doing castor oil packs regularly. It's a great method of self care.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

what about a sensitivity to yeast? thats the first thing that came to my mind with the rash.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
do you think it's the lyme? IS anything else happening right now?

Castor oil is really more than a bandaid. It's not going to actively address the lyme, but what castor oil does is increase the ability of the lymph nodes to drain and increase macrophage activity. It's incredibly healing. It doesn't directly address lyme, but it does support the body and allows it to do it's job with more efficacy.

There are ND's out there who refuse to take on patients if they won't commit to doing castor oil packs regularly. It's a great method of self care.
I wish I knew what is happening right now. We were doing so well, but now we are going backwards. Ds's teeth are few but even really poor and I think that his enamel is not there. I am just scraping pennies for anything supplment wise.

I am for sure going to start castor tomorrow for me and babe.

Sorry for sounding like a mess, but it is so frustratng when your kids isn't well and you try so hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post
what about a sensitivity to yeast? thats the first thing that came to my mind with the rash.
We don't eat bread as we are GF, but I did srart taking a b vit supplment 2 weeks ago, stopped taking it when I learned that it was made from the same culture as brewers yeast which I am sensitive to. Interesting thought.

User Tag List