Sacral dimple. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
What the heck does it mean? I always though DD had a crooked bum crack. Now I realize its probably a sacral dimple. I saw someone talking about it on another thread. I am not worried about it because she has been that way since birth with no problems. I thought it was cute and I always joked that god made her perfect in everyway but that and if thats her only flaw, then she is lucky.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're not sure, you can see here.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 PM

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean, what does it mean? It's considered to be a somewhat common, very minor, midline defect. Do you mean how did it happen, when did it happen? Sorry, I am just not sure what you are looking for.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:17 AM

My ds has a dimple and they did an u/s of his back to check for spina bifida but they checked ds for a TON of stuff because I had polyhydraminios when I was pregnant with him. They checked everything that seemed like it might be an issue.

Ds' back is fine no spina bifida. IMO as long as there is nothing wrong it is just a cute dimple.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 AM

Yes, minor midline defects can be functionally non-issues. The wording may seem scary, but there's likely absolutely NO issue with it. Dd has one too and there's no attention given to it at all. It will never be an issue for her. It's one of a couple that she has including-but not limited to-ankyloglossia (posterior and anterior tongue ties) and a heart murmur. The murmur is monitored, she had PT for the tongue tie and the sacral dimple needs to treatment/monitoring whatsoever.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I mean are they a sign of anything health wise? Does it mean you are prone to certain health problems? etc.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 07-25-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
I mean are they a sign of anything health wise? Does it mean you are prone to certain health problems? etc.
It isn't an issue usually, just different. It *can* indicate an issue with the spine but most are harmless.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Really? I think all my kids had this and the docs never said a thing. I just thought it was a dimple and normal. I looked at my toddler and it seems to be gone-it was just there when she was really little.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 PM

It is almost always perfectly harmless. If your children had a spine issue that would probably be apparent by now.

They only u/s my son because I had severe polyhydraminios, he had some issues and was in the NICU. Had I had a normal pregnancy and everything was fine they probably wouldn't have checked him.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 PM

my little guy has one too, I didn't know there was a name for it. I just thought he had a cute little booty dimple

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 PM

it is doubtful that there is any issue other than there is a dimple. I think it's cute too. I wouldn't worry about it. It *may* mean you are more prone to allergies, but that's not 100% by a longshot.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 PM

My DD has one and they did an u/s when she was 4 months old just to rule out any spinal cord issues but she is fine.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 07-25-2010, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hlight=defects

This is a thread in the Allergies forum where we discussed the topic, with an eye to dealing with the health issues many of us have been working on, either in us, the parents, or in our kids.

kittywitty--fascinating that your DD's went away. Just recently I noticed that DS's is gone (he's 4).
Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
It isn't an issue usually, just different. It *can* indicate an issue with the spine but most are harmless.

It can be a marker for spina bifida and or tethered cord. Just like a tuft of hair or hemangioma at the base of the spine. In our case it was a hemangioma that was Gabrielle's marker for Lipomyelomeningocele, Tethered Spinal Cord (and she has Neurogenic Bladder and Bowel).

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

User Tag List