Need the least nasty/most natural iron supplement possible. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like you're doing all you can with respect to solids. Do you have her "eating" with you 3 meals a day? Does she sit in a high chair or your lap while you eat a meal so the behaviors are modeled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
She hasn't been tested for lead but I came across that too. We do not have an old house (year 2000) and I know the whole of it is painted in latex paint so it wouldn't be that. Plus, the child never puts much of anything in her mouth (another thing I find frustrating because how are you supposed to have a chid finger feed if they don't do this? My son didn't put toys in his mouth much either). I'm wondering where any potential lead issues would come from.
How are/were YOUR lead exposures and levels? During the 6th month of pregnancy, calcium stores in the mother's body are freed as the bones in the fetus ossify. Unfortunately, lead is stored in the bones and teeth, just like calcium. So as calcium is released into the bloodstream, so is the mother's lifetime exposure to lead. Lead freely crosses the placenta, and especially in cases of low iron, is preferred (easier to take up) over calcium.

So while your DD's exposures to lead in her current environment may be low, her exposures in the womb may contribute to her current lead stores.

Do people take off their shoes when they enter the house? Lead is in the dust/dirt, especially in areas close to roads and highways where leaded gas was used for decades. (prior to phasing it out in the 80s) The lead in the exhaust settled on dirt and other surface areas around roads and highways. It doesn't degrade and is available to be picked up on shoes, and to enter the foods that are grown in these soils (especially root veggies, like carrots, grown in urban gardens). The lead dust settles on your floors and carpets and little ones pick it up on their fingers (and eventually, fingers make their way into mouths), and because children are closer to the floor, they are more at risk for breathing it in. A 'new build' house can have more lead in the soils around the house because of the digging that occurs during construction.

Like you didn't need more to worry about! I'm sorry! But there are so many "hidden" exposures to lead that people aren't necessarily thinking about. And low iron compounds the problem.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

She's at the table 3X a day and we try to get something in there. She sits in her highchair. But she's also sat in laps....that had to stop because she was grabbing everything. Just not to put it in her mouth.

I don't know about my lead exposure. I guess if my 3 year old had an issue with low iron I might be more concerned but he was eating solids for about a month before he got his hemo tested and he was a 10.5 which shot up to a 13 at a year as he ate more iron-rich solids. Meanwhile she refuses to eat anything and she doesn't naturally put things in her mouth except her own fingers. So at 10 months, I wasn't terribly shocked she was anemic. The ped agreed....saying it was BF anemia and not even mentioning lead.

I would get her lead level tested but seeing as that's a full blood draw I would rather wait till her retest in a couple months. I can't even imagine how they will get blood from her in any other way than a finger stick....the experience will be trauma galore.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:13 PM

It's my understanding that the quick(er) test for led is a finger prick (not a stick or a full draw). If that level comes back unacceptable, then they do a full draw.

You're right. A first-born would typically be at higher risk for exposure to mama's lead (and other stored toxin exposures). But, each fetus reacts differently, and your DD may be more sensitive than your DS.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'd be cool with a finger stick, I'll ask the ped...
Old 07-29-2010, 05:56 PM

It's great that the Floradix is going well.

I don't think you should be pushing solids too hard if your lo doesn't want them. At 10 months she doesn't need them, and her digestive system may not be ready.

I know that they say the mama taking iron doesn't help, but I totally took Floradix and chlorophyll and ate iron-rich foods when my breastfeeding dd had low hemoglobin.

In my experience the finger stick for lead was much worse than when they drew from the vein. The reason is that they need more blood than a couple drops, so they keep squeezing the child's little hand and finger to get more blood out. It was really awful for my dd; she screamed and screamed. The next time I made them draw from her arm and it went fine.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 PM

moved to health and healing

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:17 PM

Raw liver from healthy animals is the way to go. lambs liver has the highest iron of any. Chicken is the lowest.

My 2 year old loves raw liver and has since she was a baby. I have heard of lots of babies and toddlers who are similar. Give it a try. I get out the liver and cut off a slice of the frozen liver and cut that into small pieces. She eats it partly frozen and I swallow some of the pieces like a pill. It is really good for you (but I think it tastes terrible). I always feel better after eating it. I have heard 1 tsp daily for an adult is a reasonable dose so not a ton is needed to have an impact. I usually do more than that less often.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 07-31-2010, 05:34 AM

I would go into juicing.. since she is not into solids
then chances are she preffers liquids..

I would action pack the self juicing into things that have iron..
starting with just fruits and adding maybe touch here and there
non-detecbilbe veggie.

I started my dd with juice of one apple a day.. had no juicer
so I just grated fine the apple and squeezed it through manual
juice extractor.. just google them and make your pick.. or you might buy really cheep juicer for 30 bucks or less...

now:

- watermelon is LOADED with iron.. and juice is yam yam..

I do suggest juices because they are sweet too and just delicuous and
add to mountains if even consumed a bit a day.

Now second suggestion is my "miracle morning juice"

I bought a mini blender - the bullet one - and dump there one
handful of blueberries - loaded with iron and antioxidants..
one handful of strawberries and what not.. sometimes
banana for texture.. and then just
add cup of water, and couple spoons of sugar to taste if needed
blend them well and it is just nectar so delicious my dd goes gaga over it
and calls every morning ofr her monring juice.

I might add a touch of spinach or whatever to it and she
won't ever know

good luck.

and remember.. it all adds up..

don't do apple juices from jars.. boxes or what not.. they contain
DEAD juice, dead vitamins and everything is dead

so it is all about live, and fresh and just made.. as iron won't stay long
did you see how quickly apple turns brown.. that quickly...
it has to go itno the body immediately to be absorbed.

amen
Old 07-31-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
eta: From Kellymom: "Note: Additional iron intake by the mother will not increase iron levels in breastmilk, even if the mother is anemic."
This confuses the living you know what outta me. How on earth can that be true??? I'll have to go poke around there, because that's going to bother me until I understand why they'd say that.

Until I saw that I was going to say that I personally would get my own iron checked (even though you say it's been fine in the past) and if 12 or under, use yellow dock root tincture or add it to an herbal tea. I go for the less processed route.

Also look into child-led intro to solids. We didn't do any "baby food" at all with my second child, and we lap fed until well after her first birthday. Mealtimes are much more pleasurable for all of us. To me, there's something very disconcerting about sitting across from a baby and aiming food at their mouth.

http://www.tribalbaby.org/babyLedEating.html

Just something to chew on.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
Old 07-31-2010, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwavemomma View Post
This confuses the living you know what outta me. How on earth can that be true??? I'll have to go poke around there, because that's going to bother me until I understand why they'd say that.
Our bodies actively hold most minerals at fairly level amounts in our bloodstream--it's important for our bodies to function properly--and most minerals in milk correspond to the levels in our blood. For most minerals, our milk only goes low when mom is deficient herself.

A few minerals, and many of the vitamins, fluctuate quite a bit in our blood levels, and in breastmilk (think of all the threads from pumping moms who have yellow-tinged milk in the morning after taking their prenatals).

It takes time to change a person's overall mineral status, and if mom is so low that she's anemic, if it wasn't due to blood loss after the baby was born, then baby both developed in a low iron environment and is getting low iron milk--so just correcting the level in the milk (which itself takes time) isn't enough to make up the deficiency.

OP--low appetite, little interest in food, can also be related to being low in zinc. If you do a blood draw at some point, you may ask to have RBC zinc checked as well (not whole or serum zinc, red blood cell zinc corresponds better to a person's overall zinc status).
Old 07-31-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Our bodies actively hold most minerals at fairly level amounts in our bloodstream--it's important for our bodies to function properly--and most minerals in milk correspond to the levels in our blood. For most minerals, our milk only goes low when mom is deficient herself.

A few minerals, and many of the vitamins, fluctuate quite a bit in our blood levels, and in breastmilk (think of all the threads from pumping moms who have yellow-tinged milk in the morning after taking their prenatals).

It takes time to change a person's overall mineral status, and if mom is so low that she's anemic, if it wasn't due to blood loss after the baby was born, then baby both developed in a low iron environment and is getting low iron milk--so just correcting the level in the milk (which itself takes time) isn't enough to make up the deficiency.
So am I understanding that Kellymom is saying that based on their timetable of how long an "effective" remedy should take? That's what it sounds like. Wouldn't going slowly be the best way anyway?

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
Old 07-31-2010, 07:17 PM

If mom is anemic her milk might not be. Also if mom is anemic then baby may have gotten low iron stores at birth and so has run out early. I think I have read that being anemic can lead to lower interest in solids. Thirdly if mom is anemic it may take a very long time to increase her iron stores enough that it would be higher in the milk so that would mean the baby would go w/o iron for even longer. Low iron can impact brain developement and should be corrected.

Zinc is another good catch. Look for white marks on her finger nails. That means low zinc.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 07-31-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

OK. How would one fix low zinc?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Floridix is naturally derived, no side effects, is well absorbed, tastes ok (remember to refrigerate!) It's not made for babies so you may need to talk to your HCP about dosage if it's for her, for you mom it would be great. Fixed my low hemoglobin in a couple weeks right before I had DS2.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Floridix is naturally derived, no side effects, is well absorbed, tastes ok (remember to refrigerate!) It's not made for babies so you may need to talk to your HCP about dosage if it's for her, for you mom it would be great. Fixed my low hemoglobin in a couple weeks right before I had DS2.
I called the company, dosage for 7-12 month olds is 5 ml. Floradix does give dosing instructions for babies, I called about the Floravital.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
OK. How would one fix low zinc?
I supplement my kids, I've used zinc citrate and zinc picolinate. I've given them powders (opening a capsule) and hiding it between 2 layers of applesauce.

Check out the cell salts thread in this forum. It's decreased the amount of a couple supplements that I give my kids and take myself. The tablets dissolve easily and have a neutral, slightly sweet taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwavemomma View Post
So am I understanding that Kellymom is saying that based on their timetable of how long an "effective" remedy should take? That's what it sounds like. Wouldn't going slowly be the best way anyway?
I think it's unlikely the deficiency would actually be corrected at all. These are made-up numbers, I'm just using them to explain what I think is happening, but say a healthy infant needs about 2mg of some mineral, and a non-deficient mom's milk has about 2mg per day of the fictional mineral. But deficient baby may need 3mg (or more since oftentimes, as more is consumed, less is absorbed--not zero extra, but a lesser %)... well, if mom is deficient, it takes time to get back to her milk simply providing 2mg, and it won't ever get to 3 or 5 mg because that's not in the range of human milk. Maybe nurseling gets enough to function day-to-day, but that doesn't address the deficiency.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Updating this thread, I got my own iron tested and my hemo was 14.6. Not anemic, not even close.

We continue to give her the Floravital but she's still basically nowhere on solids. Just tastes. Today she leaned in for more peach yogurt but didn't want more beyond a few tastes.

EI is taking us on for the feeding issue, but they said she is very "borderline" for qualifying.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 PM

I know you are still working on the whole food issue, but I wanted to share another option for iron supplements. I went to the Naturopath with DS and he gave us this supplement.

Dylan loves taking it. If you are interested, I would talk to your Dr or call the company to find out the best dosage. It does taste good....like cinnamon gum.

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithK View Post
I know you are still working on the whole food issue, but I wanted to share another option for iron supplements. I went to the Naturopath with DS and he gave us this supplement.

Dylan loves taking it. If you are interested, I would talk to your Dr or call the company to find out the best dosage. It does taste good....like cinnamon gum.
Awesome. Thank you! Dylan is so cute....saw his pic over in the October thread. He reminds me a LOT of my son at that age.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:51 PM

You're welcome. I thought of you as soon as we got it. Thanks...Dylan is pretty darn cute!

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 PM

Are you sure about the dose? On their site it says that's the dose from age 5-9 ansd age 2-4 is 4mL. I know it's a little higher in infancy than later but it still sounds odd, and with the other ingredients want to be sure. Glad to find something better than Enfamil though (besides that my kids one which has even nastier ingredients, amazingly).

User Tag List