young living users... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like your take on the oils. They are insanely expensive, but they are purported to be very high quality. I have used them before...but it's been a while. I have a largish stash of EO's but have a few that I use therapeutically that need replacing. I'm considering going with young living as I feel fairly confident that they have pure and sustainable sources. Anyone want to talk me out of this particular company? Or into it? I'd like to hear experiences specifically from people who have used multiple sources and how they felt YL differed. Thank you!

I have more reading to do, but figured I'd ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 PM

I was introduced to YL oils by a friend of my mother who sells them.

I think that the quality of the oils is quite high, and that there are a lot of fantastic blends that aren't available anywhere else (unless you do them yourself). I own quite a few, and paid a pretty penny for them.

Having said that, there is a caveat. I think a lot of the pricing is due to hype and the MLM structure that the company uses. There are lots of other great products out there for less *if* you know what you're looking for, and how to separate poorly processed from high grade. An aromatherapy course or book might be really helpful in learning the different ways of distilling the oils, the plan sources (multiple for single oils, all varying in quality), harvesting methods, countries of origin...

So if you do your homework, you could get away for less with identical quality.

One more thing: if you google YL, there are naysayers that poke holes in some of the claims, founder and history. But I guess you can find that about any one and any product.

I won't buy them again although the quality is fabulous - I just need a cheaper source for equal quality.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

thank you! I mix my own blends (and don't tend to turn to EO's as a first line of defense either..) but I need a top grade oil that is suitable for ingestion. I don't like the MLM action at all. There are other brands out there to be sure, but as I only need a couple I don't want to have to do a ton of digging. I really dislike the overuse of EO's so for me they only have a minor application in very specific circumstances.

I'm going to keep poking for sure...keep the reviews coming!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:49 AM

Try doTerra!  We have found them to be a higher quality then Young Living.  We love them and use essential oils every day in our family. 

Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

thank you for your response!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Actually, DoTerra is in litigation now because third party tests show that their oils are not pure or what they are said to be.  You can PM me if you want specifics.  I don't like to talk poorly about any one company.  But I do want to tell you that based on what I know now about DoTerra, I would *never* put their oils on my family.

To learn more about Young Living oils and why they are priced as they are, please read this article written by a chemist that uses Young Living Therapeutic Grade essential oils: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JJ3ufSgM65j0ObnmTK0QUAGQNORWDrkMOXw1b42X2Zg/mobilebasic?pli=1

User Tag List