possible fractured skull, please give advice - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drop the doctor, and maybe report them to the board. I'm stunned that a trained professional told you to wait and see. Stunned. Baby's head first, issues about Grandma later. Please go. My stomach is flipping just reading this. Her brain could very easily be bleeding.
#32 of 37 Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 PM

any updates on this?

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#33 of 37 Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 PM
kl5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelakann View Post
any updates on this?
With the way folks piled on this in this thread, I am not surprised there has been no update.

OP I hope you and your LO are doing well.
#34 of 37 Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Mama, s. I know how difficult this may be to deal with. We had a similar fall when DD2 was 4mo old and she was in the care of my 20yo sister. While at the dr. for another child, I took my DS1 to the bathroom and left my 3 other children w/ my sis in the exam room. DS2 got mischievous and my sister put my 4mo DD on the exam table, forgetting that she was already rolling. DD rolled off the table onto the concrete floor, a 36" drop. She had a HUGE goose egg and bruise forming. DD ended up being okay, but like you, I was hesitant to get the CTscan. I didn't want to put my baby through the trauma of it, but DH insisted. And y'know what, I'm glad we did it. The relief of knowing there wasn't a brain bleed was worth having her cry for 5 minutes strapped to a board.

My family practitioner, who does NOT believe in fear mongering, told me of his nephew who was 9mo and fell from a table while sitting in a Bumbo seat. Since he showed no signs of trauma, they didn't take him for an x-ray. The next day they were in the ER b/c he had a brain bleed for the fall. He's okay now b/c they caught it, but it could have been a lot worse.

The ER doc told me when we brought DD2 in that standard protocol for any child under 2 who has signs of head trauma, a bruise, a goose egg, a cut or gash, they do CTscans for. You just never know, and b/c their skulls are still forming, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#35 of 37 Old 08-06-2010, 11:27 AM

It sounds like what she is palpating is the baby's posterior fontanel - which is normal anatomy. Hopefully her MD did a thorough exam, just poor teaching for mom. It's poor form to let a mom leave confused, scared and not understanding the reason for treatment, or lack thereof. For the record - skull fractures do NOT heal by themselves and of course are a neurological emergency needing admission and monitoring. An x-ray is not a proper test for head injury and a CT is only warranted if the baby met certain criteria - I.E. severe mechanism of injury, or loss of consciousness, lethargy, repeated vomiting, etc. Studies show that CT scans, especially in children do increase cancer rates and practitioners do not order them unless they are necessary because they are NOT risk free.
#36 of 37 Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehogs4 View Post
For the record - skull fractures do NOT heal by themselves
Of course they do. That's why minor skull fractures are treated with the "tincture of time" and follow-up to make sure there aren't complications such as herniation of the meninges.
#37 of 37 Old 08-07-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Xray's are not invasive, but brain injuries certainly are. Please, take your baby to the hospital immediately.
I agree! head injuries..even in ADULTS aren't something to mess with. Eek!

Mom to the best 4 little men ever! chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page