Is this cough really just allergies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2010, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a problem here. Dd started with a cough about 3 weeks ago. A sporadic, hacking cough that comes and goes. No problems in between coughing fits and she's had no fever, no listlessness, no sick acting whatsoever. She's off playing or sleeping, stops to hack up a lung and then continues playing.

Then about a week ago I started hacking up a long. So I made an appointment to see the doc for today. Yesterday, I get a fever, aches and pains, fatigue and still the coughing (dry). Today I wake up with nothing but the cough (which is just awful). All the other symptoms are gone. We go in to see the doc, she checks all three of us out (I took ds in just in case) and she sees nothing but postnasal drip and calls it allergies. She sees nothing else and of course noone coughs in her presence, go figure. Tonight, dd vomits (a teaspoonful of bile) while coughing right before bed but she was also goofing off, making herself cough so not sure if she made herself vomit by goofing or if it really was the cough. She was fine, brushed her teeth, laughed it off and went to bed.

If you're still with me, thank you! So my big question is, if it was something other than allergies, would doc have seen something else? Is it really possible that we have only allergies? Could the cough be caused by something else and is there anything we should do?

This really has me baffled. I've never had such an awful dry cough. Ugh!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I literally had nightmares last night that we had pertussis; cracked ribs and our whole homeschooling group coming down with it as well. I woke up so discombobulated. I'm coughing so hard my ribs hurt although once I, or my dd, is asleep, we're not coughing. Any help for this poor, sleep deprived mama?

User Tag List