Safe to take Floravital AND Blood Builder? How long? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2010, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone,

I had a ferritin test of 17 and took Floravital (the gluten-free Floradix version) for only about 4 weeks and stopped because I felt better. I know now that I should NOT have stopped as my levels plummeted again last week and I am quite sure they are even lower than before. I have had the palpitations, the loss of energy, insomnia problems, leg cramps, chest pains on and off, and brain fog - and it was definitely worse this time. I have only been on Floravital for the last 7 days (10ml in morning and 10ml at night). Since I was so low I also was taking 1 MegaFood BloodBuilder tablet per day as well. I got worried maybe I was taking TOO much so I stopped the MegaFood temporarily. They both have B vitamins and Folic Acid as well as other ingredients so I wasn't wanting to take too much of those either.

Has anyone else taken both together for really low iron levels? Since they are both whole food supplements, would it be ok to take the basic dose of BOTH for another week or two, or is that too dangerous? The supplements given at the allopathic doctor's office recommendation are the synthetic version vitamins that I cannot handle, and I don't know that much about how the whole food vitamins compare.

For you mamas who went through the low iron thing, how long until you felt better if you were low in iron? I AM feeling better but still out of breath in the hot weather and heart palpitations after one week and still leg cramps. I realize I am probably trying to rush feeling better

I am also pretty sure I am gluten intolerant since now EVERY time I eat ANYTHING with gluten I feel terrible (stomach and leg cramps, brain fog, etc.). I am getting tested soon and wondering if the malabsorption possibility is a factor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Malabsorbtion is always a factor. I wouldn't worry about taking them both together because A) B vits are water soluble, and wasted in the urine if you take too much and B) the iron in Floradix is ferrous gluconate, which has a poor absorbtion rate (so you're not absorbing all you take). I had good results with Floradix, and Florvital after we went gf, even if they are poorly absorbed. If you get constipated, then start thinking you're taking to much. Other things to think about- Vitamin A status is related to your ability to absorb iron (natural vitamin a from fish oil will help, not the synthetic palmitates) and we need way more than the RDA. Taking c with your iron aids absorbtion (this is why floradix worked for me i think). Also, tea inhibits iron absorbtion- i can't remember the mechanism (tannins come to mind). so if you're a big tea drinker, back off. I wouldn't count on the gluten tests- the real test is avoidance.

User Tag List