Eardrum ruptured AFTER tympanoplasty - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had an extensive tympanoplasty 14 years ago. I went underwater just barely today (maybe 1' under) which is not uncommon-I always swim underwater in the summer. And my eardrum (the same one fixed before) immediately ruptured in a horrible painful burst and my balance went out and my ds had to take me to the side of the pool (we were in the middle of the pool). It still hurts and I can't hear out of it very well. I have no insurance and no doctor for at least a few weeks (insurance issue). Is this a big deal? Should I just re-contact my ear surgeon from before and tell him or would he even care? I know it sounds like I'm overreacting but it was really bad last time and I don't want a repeat. Especially at 6 months pregnant.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#2 of 7 Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it continues to cause you pain, I would go and see a doctor. If it's only a week or 2 before your insurance issue clears up, you might be ok to wait, but I would definitely get it checked out. Fwiw I had tympanoplasty about 10 yrs ago and then ruptured my eardrum again about 2 yrs after. I had no insurance and didn't go to the doctor for months. Now I periodically have pain/infections in that ear and I have lost at least 50% (or more) of my hearing in that ear. I really need surgery again but that's not really an option right now, so I've been putting it off for years. I don't know if my hearing loss is temporary or permanent.

Hope you're feeling better soon! Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 PM

Hi Kittywitty,

I'm curious what you ended up doing after your eardrum ruptured after having your tympanoplasty.  The same exact thing happened to me and my surgery was only about 18 months ago.  I have a tear and I'm trying to figure out my options (among them to have the surgery again with cartilage this time to ensure it's stronger).

Thanks,

Ricardo

#4 of 7 Old 08-26-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up having repeat surgery. I had a new doctor, because the waiting list for my usual ENT was crazy. I wish I would have waited! But I did go through with surgery. It was not healing months after rupture. My taste buds are still messed up-everything tastes salty and bitter if anything is touching my ear! Here's hoping that this holds out!

#5 of 7 Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Thanks Kittywitty for the reply.  I'm pondering a second tympanoplasty myself.  Do you know if the surgeon used cartilage this time instead of a skin graft?  Have you been able to swim ok and shower ok since your last surgery?  When was your last surgery?  Sorry to hear about your taste buds being affected.  That doesn't sound fun at all.

#6 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

I believe it was just a skin graft. I shower, and I have been in a pool, but I put a plug in my ear and try not to get it wet. After how it was ruptured in pools the last two times, I don't think I'll ever put my head under water again! Surgery was March 2011. How long has yours been ruptured?

#7 of 7 Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 AM

I got my first hole after my Tympanoplasty in June of this year. I was pretty devastated but then went to my ENT two weeks ago and got amazing news. My graft healed itself. Doc said it happens in 5-10% of patients so I'm feeling extremely lucky. I too will probably avoid putting ear underwater for the rest of my life. I might try earplugs with a cap but need to chew on that one. The only thing I'll miss is swimming in the ocean and boogie boarding with my boys (when they are old enough to do that). Small price to pay though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page