Toddler body odor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2002, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

As it's been getting warmer here I've noticed that my 17 mo. old has some body odor. I thought at first it was dh's odor rubbing off on her after he did yard work. Then today I noticed it again. I did some sniffing and found it to be coming from her armpits! How strange! My friend's then-6-month-old baby boy had bo last year, so this is not new to me. I just didn't expect BO to start until she was 8 or older.

I keep thinking maybe it's something she's eating. I started giving her soy milk last week and that's also when I started to notice the BO. Before that she was only getting cows milk, but since we are veg and she hates tofu and beans, a little soy milk would be good for her.

Can anyone tell me more about this? Is it normal in some kids or the sign of a possible problem?

Thanks,
Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2002, 10:24 PM

soymilk contains "isoflavones", which can mimic the activity of hormones in the body. it is not a healthful choice. learned this of course after giving it to my dairy allergic daughter for several years! she too developed body odor early in life (at about 7). now that she is older and no longer allergic, we giver her organic dairy, and i have noticed a lessening of the bo. maybe it is some sort of reaction?
Old 05-08-2002, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Now that's interesting! I never would have guessed! I too was raised on soy milk for about 7-8 years because of milk allergies but I never had any BO. I should stop the soy and see if the BO goes away again in a week or so.

What would you suggest for a vegetarian toddler who would live on a liquid diet if it were totally up to her. She still drinks a lot of bottles (whole milk with Ovaltine) and food is only for tasting. Only when she's having a growth spurt will she take more interest in food.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 05-08-2002, 11:40 PM

When we had to abruptly switch my son from BM to soy formula, I noticed that he abruptly began smelling like a raw potato! When we switched him to goats milk, his odor returned to normal very quickly ( and his allergies did not resurface!) Mir
Old 05-09-2002, 10:26 AM

maybe rice, or oat milk? I find that in the soy milk aisle. (plus the suggestions of organic cow's, goat, or lactose-free cow's for he dairy sensitive.) Hmm...seen almond milk too...
Old 05-09-2002, 10:47 PM

i made lots of interesting soups for my daughter, and she loved them.. this includes cold fruit soups. i did use tofu in the blender with things like strawberries and a little maple syrup and a dash of rice milk, then froze that in a pop maker... stuff like that. i was so worried my girl would starve, ha! she was in the 95% until she was 3! i really love "the farm" vegetarian cookbook, great yummy ideas for kids. also moosewood's "tofu nut balls". she was a great eater, but i have birthed 2 picky pickys since, so they are more of a challenge to feed.... good luck! laura

User Tag List