What to do? My unvaxed dd has asthma now - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-14-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2yo dd just diagnosed with asthma. She had pneumonia twice in a month, was hospitalized the first time. None of my kids are vaxed, and my preschooler will be going back to school in a couple of weeks. We are also taking in a foster child any day now as well.

I'm really scared about what will happen if she were to get a serious illness. Before this happened I had my ducks in a row so to speak of how I'd deal with each disease. But I had healthy kids then! These last bouts of pneumonia came from MINOR colds! Just a cold! And this last one brought a fever of 103+ in a matter of about an hour. THAT was scary. Add to that the breathing issues and the constant wheezing and now I'm really scared.

Does anyone have advice? I don't know if I should consider vaxing for certain things (such as pertussis because of the respiratory indications) or just cross my fingers and add a bunch of immune boosters. I stay home with my kids and the younger ones aren't really around a large group often (just a moms group twice a month) but are around their sister, who attends preschool.

HELP! Blue lips and wheezing are really freaking me out.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#2 of 23 Old 08-14-2010, 11:38 PM

I can't imagine how scary that must be!! What does her doctor recommend?
#3 of 23 Old 08-14-2010, 11:56 PM

I have bad asthma. I was barely vaxed as a child and my dd is unvaxed. Every year from age 4-12 I got one bad flu or case of pneumonia. You could almost set your watch to it. I was often pretty sick (very high fevers, lethargic, severe coughing), sometimes needed a trip to the ER for hydration (was too weak to sit up and drink). But after a week or two I was always back to normal and it stopped when I hit my teen years.

I had pertussis once when I was 16. I was really sick, it sucked, but I never did need a hospital trip. Now that I'm a parent my dd has caught all kinds of things and I rarely catch anything from her. I teach exercise classes and go-go dance for extra money. Sometimes that will earn me a puff or two from my inhaler...but that's to be expected!

My parents also smoked around me my whole life and I smoked for many years myself. I may have been even healthier with out all that smoke around me constantly. I honestly think that having an immune system free of vaxes (especially flu shots) helped me to stay as healthy as possible despite my asthma.

I just wanted to share my experience to let you know that asthma of course is worrisome and requires some extra health attention...but does not automatically equal a death sentence or needing to run out and vaccinate.

Take your time making a decision, don't panic, and I hope you cvan figure out something that you're comfortable with.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#4 of 23 Old 08-15-2010, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I would educate yourself on asthma. Asthma is a breathing issue. My son has asthma and while its controlled with a daily med and a rescue inhaler he still has times of the year where he has what seems like continual bronchitis and pneunomia. We do spend time then at the dr's or Er. Dr was vaxed up til about age 4 then we stopped.

What you need to do is figure out what triggers the asthma. Is it exercise induced, allergen induced, is there mold around?? There are lots of different variables to asthma.

Treatment can be tricky to figure out as well, daily meds, breathing treatments, different inhalers.

My son initally went to a ped. pulmonologist and now is just seen by a reg MD. The ped. pulm. was very helpful.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 23 Old 08-15-2010, 02:42 AM

read up about dairy. milk from a species other than human is not meant to be ingested by us. IMO (and I am not a professional) eczema, asthma and many other maladies can be traced to the foods we ingest. Go GFCFSF (and organic (NO GMO, HFCS, food colorings, msg, etc...., mostly vegan) and in 6 months it will probably be totally gone... most people report that as a side effect of going vegan, all the allergies disappear.... gluten, dairy and soy are not good for humans IMO. Food is what makes our health what it is, because, you are what you eat.... http://www.naturalnews.com/012330_he...ck_system.html

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#6 of 23 Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 AM

The latest research shows that asthma is caused by the absence of certain beneficial bacterial strains, so risks of getting asthma get higher and higher with each round on antibiotics a child takes.

It sounds like your kids might not have the most robust gut flora. Probiotics every day, less sugar, less dairy will help. Flax oils. Is your child exposed to smoke?

I liked the book Super Immunity.

Good luck with this.

Focusing on overall wellness from any more difficult viruses or bacterial infections is much more important that focusing on the few illnesses vaccines might help with.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#7 of 23 Old 08-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Just get your childs immune system up to snuff! Probiotics & vit D daily! Keep your household clean. Get chiro adjustments, research homeopathic treatments for vaccinated diseases!
#8 of 23 Old 08-15-2010, 12:53 PM

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/310/6975/299

Quote:
Although many asthmatic patients got whooping cough, it did not seem to exacerbate asthma. Indeed, during and after whooping cough asthma was less troublesome and often remained so for many months.
While I'm not going to counsel you to get your kid vaccinated or not, I hope that eases your worry for that disease at least.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#9 of 23 Old 08-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Just wanted to echo what these other wise moms have said. Getting rid of dairy, taking my probiotics, and going to the chiro when I start to feel sickly have all made HUGE improvements in my overall health and especially with my asthma.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#10 of 23 Old 08-16-2010, 11:07 AM

My son had severe RSV when he was a baby and it developed into asthma. He's not vax'd nor are his older sister and brother. I second what PP's have said, boost his immune system, probiotics and know what his triggers are. For mine it was dust and really windy days (aka super dusty days). I up his vitamin D in the winter and homeopathics at the first sign of a sniffle make a HUGE difference.

HTH.

Happy Hippie Homeschoolin' AP Mama to DD8, DS6 and DS3 born via UC into his daddy's arms!
#11 of 23 Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM

Hi, I have asthma and my unvax'd DS was diagnosed with asthma after a rough cold/flu season (we all had H1N1 and DD and DS had RSV). When we went to the pediatric pulminologist, he had a fit. He went through all of the vaccines and told me that I needed to get him at least the DTaP, Prevnar, and flu shot, including the H1N1 shot (this was after we had already had H1N1 and the season was almost over). When I told him we weren't going to vaccinate, he said to keep him on probiotics, avoid stuffed animals and carpet (yeah, we live in an apartment... everything except the bathrooms and kitchen are carpeted), and to keep him on pulmicort during the winter months and if he gets sick during the warm months. He also said to avoid crowds at the slightest sniffle during the winter months. We took some of his advice, still didn't vax, give probiotics occasionally (I forget), and avoid crowds when he's sick.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#12 of 23 Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM

I had severe asthma as a kid. I know I had many ER visits and at least 4 hospital stays. Every year without fail if I got sick it would settle into my chest. I always went to doc as soon as I got sick and got steroids which We believe kept it from getting worse.

So HUGE thing that has CHANGED my life. I stopped eating processed foods and more importantly all gluten. I was tested for gluten allergy and celiac, both came back negative, but there was no denying that I went from 3 heavy meds and still having attacks 1-2 times a week to no meds and attacks 2-3 times a YEAR. It may be mold in wheat that I'm allergic to. either way I am doing SO much better. After I started this diet I got a cold and for the first time ever it went away without needed steroids/ missing school (work) in my life.

It may not help your daughter, but I really really advocate trying, it changed everything for me. I can now exercise and walk past smokers!

Best of luck :HUG

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#13 of 23 Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 PM

Moving to H&H since this seems to be more about Asthma than Vaccinations

Not all those who wander are lost 
#14 of 23 Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 PM

I have asthma, I would see a ped. pulmonologist. Asthma can cause lung scarring which can be extremely dangerous. It is really better that you know everything you can in order to deal with the illness in the most effective manner.

If she is having blue lips, that is a sign that her blood oxygen levels are low.

It is true that some dairy issues can affect allergies and asthma, if you want you might schedule an appointment with an allergist. I wouldn't just start treating an undiagnosed allergen without knowing for certain that was the cause. It could be something much different triggering these reactions.

I do think it would be good to see the pulmonologist first and they can help guide you through the process of finding the causes, triggers and what might help.

#15 of 23 Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 PM

When I was gluten dairy and soy free for my nursling for over six months I still had asthma.
#16 of 23 Old 08-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
When I was gluten dairy and soy free for my nursling for over six months I still had asthma.
Some asthma is related to food allergies. Both can mess you up pretty badly if you have issues with them, it is surprising how damaging an undiagnosed allergen can be. I am allergic to dairy and going dairy free didn't affect my asthma either but it isn't completely outside the realm of possibility

I wouldn't bother with any sort of elimination diet as an asthma cure without knowing for certain there were issues with those foods which involve testing. I don't think it would be safe to cease asthma meds in favor of an elimination diet.

There can be lung scarring for which there is no cure IMO it would be good to know what is going on.

#17 of 23 Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

Blue lips and wheezing are pretty freaky.

I initially used a delayed vax schedule with my younger dd, but when she caught pneumonia three times in two months and was diagnosed with asthma I caught her up on all her vaxes for respiratory illnesses. 98% of the time, she's a happy healthy kid, but when she gets sick, she gets really sick.

Too many food restrictions can make it hard for a kid to eat, and that's not really helpful to the immune system.

I can't make your decision for you, but I can tell you that a traditional allopathic medical approach to my dd's asthma has kept it very well-controlled since she was diagnosed.
#18 of 23 Old 08-18-2010, 11:19 PM

I do have my children vaxed for respiratory issues as well. My nephew has a serious chronic lung condition.

What are they currently doing for your dd's asthma? Are they giving her anything?

#19 of 23 Old 08-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Blue lips and wheezing are pretty freaky.

I initially used a delayed vax schedule with my younger dd, but when she caught pneumonia three times in two months and was diagnosed with asthma I caught her up on all her vaxes for respiratory illnesses. 98% of the time, she's a happy healthy kid, but when she gets sick, she gets really sick.

Too many food restrictions can make it hard for a kid to eat, and that's not really helpful to the immune system.

I can't make your decision for you, but I can tell you that a traditional allopathic medical approach to my dd's asthma has kept it very well-controlled since she was diagnosed.

True however eating foods that a child is sensitive too in the first place is not good for the immune system either. A child who s on a very resticted diet, but eats foods that work WITh his/her body not against it will still have a healthier immune system than one who is eating wider range of foods that they may be sensitive too.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#20 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Banned

True. If a child has an allergy or a serious reaction to a food, eating it will not help their immune system.

From time to time, the recommendation I see on MDC for children with asthma is simply that they should stop eating just about everything. One poster earlier on this thread, for example, recommends that the OP's child cut gluten, soy, dairy, and most animal products. And at that point, there simply are not many options left. Lots of fruits and veggies, but very few proteins or fats. The research on the connections between diet and asthma is not strong enough to support the adoption of such a severely restricted diet, and, as another poster points out, there is no guarantee that doing so will ameliorate the symptoms of asthma.

I'm all for using food to improve your health, but I wish the idea wasn't so often taken to extremes. It seems like 80% of the time a mom says her dc is sick, a dozen people show up to suggest that she should work to make the kid both sick and starving.
#21 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
It takes 9 months for the body to clear gluten.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#22 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Banned

It really surprises me to hear that it takes 9 months for the body to clear gluten. Why is that? Do you have a description of the process of clearing gluten that you could link to? Because I really don't understand how a substance could hide out in your colon for 9 months.

But if that is the case, then eliminating gluten is way too slow to be relied on as a treatment for childhood asthma. You simply can't wait 9 months to see if eliminating gluten might make the child better - breathing is too important and the wait is too dangerous. There are reliable treatments for asthma that take effect much faster and don't require dietary restrictions. I guess you could experiment with gluten once the child's asthma is under control. So you could do 9 months of meds while eliminating gluten, take the kid off the meds and see if your dc has an attack or comes down with pneumonia. That doesn't sound like fun to me, but I suppose you could try.
#23 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM

I know this thread was from a little while back, but I would be really interested too in seeing any links to studies that argue a causal relationship between the consumption of certain foods (i.e. dairy, gluten, etc.) and asthma. My daughter's asthma is somewhat "mysterious" according to the doctors. And she doesn't even respond well to the medicines they have prescribed.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page