Newest issue= UTI.. 4th antibiotic in 3 weeks- help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here is the story...

3 weeks ago I had an emergency c -section. They gave me antibiotics in the hospital although I'm not sure what kind- I'm assuming rocephin or something similar because it was a single shot to ward off infection.
A week after my surgery, I noticed an infection forming at the incision so I went to the Dr. I got an antibiotic for that (a type of penicillin).
Then, during the c-section, they accidently cut my bladder so I had to wear a catheter 24/7 for 2.5 weeks until it healed. I started to have symptoms of a UTI so he started me on Bactrum (I will admit I didn't start this antibiotics because I'm breastfeeding and I didn't like its rating- I was actually waiting on the urine c&s).
Now, 4 days later, c&s came back and showed I have an E.Coli infection in my bladder and it will not respond to Bactrum. SOOOOOOOOO, I get to go on Keflex now.

My question is more a what would you do if you were me kind of thing. I have NO symptoms of a UTI anymore. I've been taking a 2-3 cranberry capsules each day, dosing up on SA, taking probiotics, and taking grapefruit seed extract as well as drinking lots of water. How "common" is it for a UTI to get flushed out or just "go away"?

My gripe is that I'm breastfeeding and I have had a decent amount of issues with that. I really don't want to start another antibiotic because I don't want to chance thrush (so far we seemed to have dodged it). I just got off of my penicillin antibiotic less than a week ago and feel pretty good.
#2 of 5 Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 PM

are they sure that the bladder has healed since you're getting these infections all of a sudden? it seems like there might still be an issue with bacteria getting from somewhere it's not supposed to. I personally haven't had luck "getting rid of" a UTI without abx but I have retention issues, and there are lots of people on here who have been able to get rid of them naturally. You can get test strips to see if you still have an infection (most major drugstores carry them). However, know that high doses of vitamin C make it look negative, even if it's not, so that could throw it off.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 5 Old 08-16-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding, I forgot about those test strips so I may as well try that first.
I had a cystogram at the hospital last week and it was confirmed that it was healed. They did discover I have reflux into my kidneys on one side but it is "unrelated" to the accidental cut.
#4 of 5 Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would also try the strips, but if you do have a UTI, I would be especially careful about treating naturally if one of your kidneys is refluxing. Reflux means you have a much greater chance of a UTI becoming a more serious kidney infection if not treated.

Hope you are feeling better soon, and congrats on the new arrival!!!
#5 of 5 Old 08-17-2010, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is your dosage on your probiotics and what form are they in, are they refrigerated? The great thing about probiotics is that they will help you in the case of using or refusing antibiotics because they support your balance and natural ability to heal. From what I have read and talked with people about you need to be taking at least 10 billion units of a good probiotic everyday. Drinking rich, 100% cranberry juice is better than capsules, and you may want to explore your options for a powdered infant probiotic for your baby.

You should totally contact an experienced lactation consultant. She will be farmiliar with your circumstances and be able to help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page