Cold vs. pertussis: only time will tell? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the media has me feeling a bit paranoid right now. The CA outbreak is all over the news here right now and wouldn't you know it? Dd has come down with cold symptoms (runny nose, congestion, sneezing). Everywhere I look lists the early symptoms of pertussis as being similar to those of a common cold. So is there any way to actually tell the difference? Or do we just have to wait and see if she develops a cough? I wouldn't actually be all that concerned, but school starts next week (she is starting K) and I really don't want her to miss the start of her first week of school!

Any insights on cold symptoms vs. early pertussis symptoms?

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#2 of 32 Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM

From my read of it, you can't tell. You've got some SA? I'm guessing that if you pay attention to bowel tolerance, and it doesn't start going down in whatever a reasonable timeframe is for your child--for mine, I'd think 3-4 days--then I'd start to consider it more seriously.
#3 of 32 Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 PM

I just went through the same thing with my dd (8) and ds (6). Dd was first. She woke up with a fever one morning. Kind of seemed like she had some cold symptoms. 5 days later she started having coughing fits to the point of vomiting. Fever lasted 7 days, coughing lasted a couple of weeks. Two weeks later ds started with the same thing. He's still coughing. I didn't do any type of treatment at all. Well, ds asked for some Hall's cough drops so I got him some of those.

I didn't seek any treatment because our ped just won't give antibiotics unless she gets a positive culture. The pertussis culture apparently takes about 2 weeks, and at that point it would've been too late anyway. They've both recovered very well, so I guess I did the right thing. I'm sure the media has played some part in my thinking that this could be pertussis.
#4 of 32 Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
EVC

So how long until we know we are "safe"? It's been about 4 days and no cough yet.

#5 of 32 Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 PM

We're in the midst of this now. Our 3-month-old has had fever, runny nose, cough for a few weeks. We've been back and forth to the doctor and she has (wisely) tried to wait it out, but the coughing fits are getting worse so now she'svomiting when she coughs. We're seeing a ped tomorrow.
It's so hard to tell without the culture. I didn't know it's a two week wait either :/. I guess we'll see what the ped says.

4 kids under 10
#6 of 32 Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
So how long until we know we are "safe"? It's been about 4 days and no cough yet.
My kids both started coughing on about day 6. At that point, the fever and cold symptoms were pretty much gone.

Our friend is an ER doctor and he said there have been cases of pertussis in our area, so it could be what they had.

Sanguine: My kids are much older than your baby, and I wasn't as concerned with them since it really isn't too risky children over the age of 1 to have pertussis. Good luck at the peds! I hope your little one gets well soon.
#7 of 32 Old 08-18-2010, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My DS started coughing about 10 days after the initial runny nose. He didn't have a fever. There's no mistaking the cough. He had the characteristic whoop and vomiting.

SA made all the difference in management and recovery. Once we got enough into him and got the dose right, the illness was more annoying than anything else, but no longer scary.

He recovered fine, no complications at all, in about 4-5 weeks total.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#8 of 32 Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Quote:
My DS started coughing about 10 days after the initial runny nose.
Did have any cough prior to the "real" start? Or was the only symptom during those first days a runny nose?

#9 of 32 Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Did have any cough prior to the "real" start? Or was the only symptom during those first days a runny nose?
With him, just the runny nose. I think that's why I wasn't really alarmed about it...I just thought it was a lingering cold or allergies.

Silly me too...my DH was the one who brought it home and he was coughing evenings and at night (no whooping obviously, just a hacking paroxysmal cough), but since he works in industrial settings with lots of crap in the air and he's a "reformed" smoker (as in sneaks them away from the house once in a while), then I didn't pay much attention to his cough until DS started whooping. Then I knew what was going on...

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 

#10 of 32 Old 08-19-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Quote:
With him, just the runny nose.
Oh, that is frustrating! Sneaky, sneaky pertussis

We still don't have a cough and I'm slipping some SA into her juice as a precaution. We'll see....

#11 of 32 Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Oh, that is frustrating! Sneaky, sneaky pertussis

We still don't have a cough and I'm slipping some SA into her juice as a precaution. We'll see....
Yeah, it is sneaky...you'll know either way in a few days. Make sure you have enough SA on hand to get through it, if that's what it is. If it is pertussis, the first few days will be tough until the SA kicks in and the dose is adequate to mitigate the toxins...afterwards, it'll be like night and day...DS's vomiting and whooping stopped...still had the paroxysmal coughing but nowhere near as bad. So, just a heads up to be prepared. And kids come through it differently...some take longer and have a tougher time getting through it than others. My DS did pretty well...he was done in about 4-5 weeks total and recovered with no complications. My DH took about twice as long to get better, but then he's not as healthy (junk food addict and sneaks smokes away from the house) and he wasn't faithful with the SA (he couldn't be bothered half the time).

#12 of 32 Old 08-19-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Well, one thing I've noticed over the past few days is that she's significantly less stuffy outside. The moment we return home, her nose stuffs up again. I don't know if that means that it's an allergy to something in our house, or whether fresh air and sunshine are just generally good for one's health. Either way, I'm not letting my guard down yet. (As you can tell from my other post to which you recently responded, this whole WC thing has thrown me for a loop--I'm sure a lot of it just comes from my general anxiety about dd starting school ). Sigh. Back to waiting....

#13 of 32 Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 AM

So, any updates? I've been wondering how things are going in your house...

#14 of 32 Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 AM

I'm beginning to think this is what we're dealing with here. We're in the Philly 'burbs & it's been on the news & in the papers that it's hitting hard in our area.

It started at the end of July, all of the kids had a mild cough/runny nose. That lasted 4-5 days & then Ds's morphed into horrendous coughing where he couldn't inhale & his lips would start to turn blue - along with vomiting. The "whoop" wasn't what I expected, but when I listened to the pertussis cough examples online, his sounded nearly identical. The "whoop" for him was his finally being able to inhale air, such a scary thing when he couldn't get air in.

I finally took him to the ER after a week of it & they did a chest x-ray & dx'd him with pneumonia & gave him 5 days of zithromax - which is what they use for pertussis too. It still took him a long time to improve. He's now finally down to one coughing attack each night where he still has trouble inhaling, but it only lasts about 30 seconds as opposed to 2-3 minutes.

Dd2 & I have had this awful cough for 2-3 weeks now. Mine is driving me insane because I'm just entering my third trimester & I keep peeing in my pants & having contractions when I have a coughing attack. It's soooooo much worse during the night - why is that? Poor Dd2, I can hear her hacking away all night too.

I tried sleeping for well over an hour tonight & gave up. It's SO frustrating.

I'm going to go take some SA right now. I need to be better about it.

Any tips for soothing the cough during the night? Raw honey seems to help ease it a little bit, but I still cough continuously, it's just not as violent.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#15 of 32 Old 08-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I'm beginning to think this is what we're dealing with here. We're in the Philly 'burbs & it's been on the news & in the papers that it's hitting hard in our area.

It started at the end of July, all of the kids had a mild cough/runny nose. That lasted 4-5 days & then Ds's morphed into horrendous coughing where he couldn't inhale & his lips would start to turn blue - along with vomiting. The "whoop" wasn't what I expected, but when I listened to the pertussis cough examples online, his sounded nearly identical. The "whoop" for him was his finally being able to inhale air, such a scary thing when he couldn't get air in.

I finally took him to the ER after a week of it & they did a chest x-ray & dx'd him with pneumonia & gave him 5 days of zithromax - which is what they use for pertussis too. It still took him a long time to improve. He's now finally down to one coughing attack each night where he still has trouble inhaling, but it only lasts about 30 seconds as opposed to 2-3 minutes.

Dd2 & I have had this awful cough for 2-3 weeks now. Mine is driving me insane because I'm just entering my third trimester & I keep peeing in my pants & having contractions when I have a coughing attack. It's soooooo much worse during the night - why is that? Poor Dd2, I can hear her hacking away all night too.

I tried sleeping for well over an hour tonight & gave up. It's SO frustrating.

I'm going to go take some SA right now. I need to be better about it.

Any tips for soothing the cough during the night? Raw honey seems to help ease it a little bit, but I still cough continuously, it's just not as violent.
Yup sounds like WC to me. Truly your best bet is the proper dosage of SA. It has to be an effective dose and you have to be consistent with it.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#16 of 32 Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM

Just found out it is indeed pertussis. I hope it's over soon.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#17 of 32 Old 08-25-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
Yup sounds like WC to me. Truly your best bet is the proper dosage of SA. It has to be an effective dose and you have to be consistent with it.
You'll see a huge difference once you get the dose right...with my DS, it was like night and day...he was still paroxysmal, but the whooping and vomiting was gone. And he was able to sleep through the nights instead of coughing every few minutes.

Hope things are better for you soon Metasequoia...hang in there.

#18 of 32 Old 08-25-2010, 08:22 PM

You mean I have to go by bowel tolerance, right? I've taken grams and grams today and haven't so much as farted. Guess I'm needing A LOT right now...

Thanks mamas.

#19 of 32 Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 PM

Yeah, the amount will be different for everyone. My DS is just a little fella...he was about 28-29lbs when he had it and he hit bowel tolerance at about 5g. We kept him at that dose until his whooping and vomiting had stopped and then slowly started tapering the SA dose down...

#20 of 32 Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 PM

So once you reach bowel tolerance - how often do you repeat the dose? For your LO, you'd give 5 grams how often?

#21 of 32 Old 08-26-2010, 12:52 AM

I gave him just over 1g (about 1.25g) 4 times a day...morning, lunch, before dinner, and I gave him some late at night as well if he was up.

Then when we started tapering it down...so, about 750mg 4 times a day...then down to 500mg 3-4 times a day...that kind of thing.

The amount needed for bowel tolerance will differ from person to person and from illness to illness, depending on what the body requires.

#22 of 32 Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 AM

I also dosed 4x/day, sometimes only hit 3x but 4 was better. My kids needed a lot more, but when I got there, DD's coughing and vomiting reduced a lot (assuming our prolonged coughing illness was WC--whatever it was, it responded very well to SA).
#23 of 32 Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 AM

Okay ladies.....I mega-dosed yesterday afternoon/evening....and I only coughed TWICE during the night!!! TWICE!!!

And I SLEPT!!!

You have no idea...after not sleeping for well over 3 weeks, this was heavenly.

I think I understand the dosage thing now. I took over 5g at once just before bed & didn't even go to the bathroom until this morning and it was normal.

I'm staying home the rest of the week anyway since I am possibly still contagious, so this should work just fine. No abx here.

I'm going to just mega-dose us all - kick this pertussis in the butt.

I cruised the vax forum last night & found all kinds of good stuff. Lots of links about natural immunity lasting 30+ years after natural infection - woot! I have FOUND the silver lining in this! And what a perfect time for it - we *should* all have some protection for baby's first year of life, at the very least - and baby should get some good, strong protection from me.

Thank you!

#24 of 32 Old 08-26-2010, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
how are you all measuring your SA? do you have gram scales?
#25 of 32 Old 08-26-2010, 03:13 PM

The label of mine says 1/2 tsp = a certain # of grams of vitamin C, I forget exactly what it says now. But so I'm just measuring with a teaspoon measure.
#26 of 32 Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 PM

What is SA?

Wife to Josh ~ mommy to frankie (10-24-06) and hayley (7-25-09) and Caleb (4-30-11)
#27 of 32 Old 08-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Sodium ascorbate.

My label says 1.69g/1/2 tsp.

I started the kids at 1/2 tsp this morning & moved up to 3/4 tsp by afternoon. I'll get them up to 1 tsp in a half hour.

I started at 1tsp this morning & then 1.25 tsp this afternoon. I have gone #2 twice today..but not yucky. I'll do 2 full tsp in a half hour & see how that works out.

We're definitely needing it. My throat is sore, but I coughed a bit before lunch and I think that's why. I had bacon and I'm wondering if pork is my friend right now. It's been trouble in the past for me.

#28 of 32 Old 08-26-2010, 07:48 PM

Metasequoia, that's awesome that it's started working for you. And yeah, the silver lining is the immunity everyone should have while the baby is so little.

Toolip...My SA is Bronson's and 1/4 tsp is 1g. http://www.bronsonvitamins.com/50A/vitamin-c-crystals

#29 of 32 Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 PM

Was anyone able to find SA locally and not have to order online? We're dealing with the whoop here (in NE) and I haven't been able to find SA locally so we've been using Calcium Ascorbate instead and homeopathy.

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#30 of 32 Old 08-27-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danipoppins View Post
Was anyone able to find SA locally and not have to order online? We're dealing with the whoop here (in NE) and I haven't been able to find SA locally so we've been using Calcium Ascorbate instead and homeopathy.
I was never able to find it locally back in Canada...all the stores I checked only stocked calcium ascorbate and I've read it's not as good to use.

Same thing now here in Australia...can't find it. So, I'm stuck with ordering more online...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page