Red itchy patches on neck - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2010, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm assuming this is some sort of fungus and hoped for some leads on what to do. I'm 6w pregnant so I feel like I am limited on a systemic approach. Also, I know that oregano oil is a good fungus killer, but is contra-indicated in pregnancy. I wonder if that applies to topical applications though vs internal.

So anyway, the patches. I have two that are near each other, about an inch tall and 1-2" wide. They mostly itch some in the morning, and have spread somewhat in the last couple of months to almost merge. I also have a couple other small spots that are the beginnings of the larger ones. Sometimes they flake, and sometimes they feel really smooth. When I was in the sun a couple of weeks ago, they seemed to be slightly raised.

It's not in a typical fungal spot (where it's moist) so it confuses me. I can see my ND but want to try on my own first so I don't have to pay $160 for an answer!

I thought of using nystatin on it, which I have half a tube leftover from DS's yeast rash. Or, I could try cortizone cream. I wonder if I just need to try to get it under control while pregnant then deal with it more later.

My diet doesn't contain very much refined foods or bad oils, and we're somewhat traditional foods.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

I doubt it's a heat rash lasting three months, especially living in Seattle.

I'm holding off on the doc for now because of the out of pocket cost.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Any ideas?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 AM

Tinnea versicolor, maybe?

I had it each time I was pregnant on my back, neck and chest. I can't remember what we used to treat it but I know it was very hard to get rid of. A few weeks after birth it would get much worse and then would disappear by about 6 months post-partum.

I hope you get an answer soon!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:29 AM

subbing/ Eclipse95 - Did yours have bumps that itched? I have the discoloration, but I get itchy bumps as well.

I wonder if Tea Tree oil will help?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:11 PM

I didn't have any "bumps" persay, but the discolored patches were slightly raised. If I itched the area at all, it would get bumpy and red for a short while.

I'm still trying to remember what I used.....if it comes to me I will post it.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:06 AM

It does sound like Tinea Versacolor. If it is, an antifungal will work on it, as well as Selsun Blue (the shampoo) which is what my dh uses.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll look up some info on that. I was using nystatin which after a week or so didn't do anything. I wonder if that is geared toward yeast and not fungus in general.

I wonder if an athlete's foot cream would work, we have some of that but don't have selsun blue.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 AM

It sounds like psoriasis. I've been fighting a few patches forever (literally - years). I've been to the doc and tried all sorts of creams, etc. None worked. I went to walgreens and found an OTC product called dermarest for psoriasis - it's salycilic acid. Cleared it to almost gone in about a month.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 09-03-2010, 03:57 AM

I had something that sounds very similar on my neck as well. It was a fungal and my ND prescribed tea tree oil 2-3 times a day on the area until it was gone for 5 days.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:22 AM

exzema (sp?) I would try a little corto. cream on it and see what happens. could it be a allergic/dermititis reaction? even though its been a few weeks it may have started as an allergic reaction (perfume,soap, something you touched on your hands and then got on your neck) and now you have this persistant rash?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 PM

Emu Oil is a good all around remedy for skin problems. Have you tried any bentonite clay on it? Tea tree oil is also a good bet.

We create our own reality.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking TTO would have done something if it was a fungus, right? There is no change, and it's still slowly spreading. I have a couple new small spots near the larger patch. It itches a few times a day and a good scratch kind of stings but feels good. It's itchier at night.

I read about the Tinea Versacolor and that actually sounds like what my DH has on his hands and ankles, where he doesn't tan and it's whiter than his normal skin, like a lack of pigment. I'm just not sure that's what I have since mine is a raise, rough patch (but sometimes smooth, it's weird).

I'll try to post a picture sometime soon.

I think I'll go in and see the doc. The office visit just goes to my deductible and nothing is really covered, so my question is should I see my ND first then perhaps go to a dermatologist? Would an ND have an answer if TTO didn't work? I did get the name of a dermatologist from my ND's office, and my ND comes back from maternity leave on Oct 1. I don't wish to pay two office visits ($100 + each) plus any resulting Rx.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to try hydrocortizone (.5%) again and it's actualy working, thankfully! The patches have faded a good bit, now I just need them to go away. I can't even feel it if I rub my fingers over it where I always could before.

User Tag List