Contagious Virus: Stay Home ? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Women's Health > Contagious Virus: Stay Home ?
One_Girl's Avatar One_Girl 11:31 PM 08-20-2010
That is an awful disease to have and I think you should keep it at home. My dd got it when she was five and she was in a lot of pain, had high fevers, and got very lethargic because she hurt too much to eat. It was awful. She has strep right now and that isn't as bad as the hand, foot, and mouth was (and it is really bad). I don't think that is a disease to expose others to. If it was a cold than so what, but this disease is truly awful.

lifeguard's Avatar lifeguard 12:02 AM 08-21-2010
Well, ds had hfam last week - I was at girl guide camp with him the whole week (he developed while at camp - probably contracted it the week before). I brought him to the hospital (because we were far from home so didn't have a local doctor) to get him checked. The doctor seemed completely unconcerned we were at camp with a bunch of children stating simply that the incidences of hfam are really high this month.

The doctor I saw also said that the most contagious time period is actually just before the fever appears.

I personally don't hole up when ds gets sick & obviously others don't either 'cause he did NOT get hfam from anyone we knew that we were in contact with recently - we hadn't even been to a park or other area where he was in contact with random children so I figure he got it from the grocery cart or other such thing.

The other thing with hfam (I asked a LOT of questions of the doc) is that it rarely affects anyone but toddlers & infants. I suppose someone with an immune difficulty would be more likely to be affected as well.
Tway's Avatar Tway 12:04 AM 08-21-2010
It's an unwritten rule amongst all my mama friends: If your kid is sick, you keep them home. A sick child is upset, hurting, weak, tired, and achy--and parents of said child are concerned, run ragged, stretched to the nth degree, and maybe even a little scared. Why would you risk of passing that on to anyone?
Latte Mama's Avatar Latte Mama 12:22 AM 08-21-2010
I wish whoever gave it to my DS a few months back would have stayed home. He had it bad. Tons of sores in his mouth and a fever that would not go away. It went up to almost 105 and I darn near had a heart attack. Even DH got scared and he is Mr. Cool.

My DS lost so much weight from eating nothing for 2 weeks. We kept him inside for almost 3 weeks besides the doctor appt. He was miserable and I would never wish that on any other baby or toddler.

Keep them home.
MusicianDad's Avatar MusicianDad 12:50 AM 08-21-2010
Contagious = stay home in this house. You have no idea what other people are dealing with, your child could very well pass it on to someone with an compromised immune system.
Nicole730's Avatar Nicole730 12:56 AM 08-21-2010
To knowingly take your contagious child out in public for something not necessary, is rude - IMO. So, no, don't go. Sorry, it sucks, but that's what happens when you have kids.
Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife 12:58 AM 08-21-2010
Yes, you should absolutely keep your sick children home. Hand, foot, and mouth disease - like others have said - can be super contagous. Even if they seem to be feeling better, the sores/blisters are a big reminder that the virus is still active in their body. To be on the safe side, I would keep them home for several days after the sores are completely gone. When I worked in childcare, HFM was something that meant the affected kids often stayed out for a couple weeks at a time. It spreads like crazy, and can be really awful and painful for many kids - not to mention immune-compromised people.
Lilypie32's Avatar Lilypie32 01:38 AM 08-21-2010
Please stay home. My son caught this a few years ago and could not eat for 2 weeks due to the blisters in his mouth and throat. It was AWFUL. He was in a lot of pain and lost 5 lbs. It really makes me angry when someone knowingly takes their contagious kids out and about when they don't HAVE to do so.
lucky_mia's Avatar lucky_mia 01:43 AM 08-21-2010
Please stay home. I just kept my two very active kids home for a week because of croup. I really sucked to see my kids struggling to breathe and there was no way I was going to risk passing that on to another little one, if I could help it. Yes, it was miserable but necessary for them and considerate to others.
luckymamaoftwo's Avatar luckymamaoftwo 03:54 AM 08-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
Your kids may have a mild case, but a child who catches it from yours may not be so lucky. It can get really bad in some cases. I'd keep them home this weekend.
Totally agree with this post. Some kids really react terribly to HFM and others, no biggie, but IMO it's not ethical to take them out knowing that they could expose other kiddos to a highly contagious virus.
savithny's Avatar savithny 12:40 PM 08-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnet24 View Post
I did research it.. and the problem is they are contagious for up to a month. That is a long time to quartine them.
And if you do more research about how communicable diseases were handled prior to vaccinations and antibiotics, you'll learn that *that* is exactly what they did back in the Good Old Days. If you read old kids books, it seems funny that the kids are always put to bed as soon as they get sick and kept there for a week or two, and often kept home longer than that.

A half-century of antibiotic availability and we've all forgotten than our grandmothers and great-grandmothers took childhood illnesses very seriously. And so we combine rejecting the modern medical answers (vaccines and antibotics) with adopting the modern attitudes towards illness (NO big deal! Take them out in public!). I think that's a dangerous combination of attitudes.

I'd plan on keeping them home, if not for a full month, at least for the week that it says its very communicable, and preferably a week after that.

I'd certainly not take them out for a completely unneccessary event like a street festival. There are sometimes things you need to do -- go to the doctor, pick up prescriptions or supplies. But going to the fair? Nope.
prairiemommy's Avatar prairiemommy 01:46 PM 08-21-2010
Yes, you absolutely can keep one or even 10 sick kids at home. We spent an entire summer in our house once because we were dealing with chicken pox and fifth disease and my three kids were passing them around s.l.o.w.l.y. Two whole months we didn't go to festivals, on vacations (it was summer vacation after all - we did actually have things planned), or to friends' houses. You do it because you have to.

As to spreading viruses in amongst big groups where there is a high risk of immunocompromised children *and* parents, I can't even get into that. It hits too close to home right now.
preemiemamarach's Avatar preemiemamarach 01:48 PM 08-21-2010
As the parent of an immunocompromised child, I am shocked that someone would be so selfish as to risk my child's life because they don't feel like skipping a FESTIVAL when their kids have a very contagious illness.

My son is three, and he is essentially homebound. I have already lost the ability to earn an income because he is medically fragile. We take every precaution we can, and it severely limits our lives. Occasionally, I like to do something fun for my children that doesn't involve being in our own home.

You think it's hard to keep your kids home for a few weeks? Try three years. But we get the added fun of inpatient hospital stays whenever DS contracts an illness that's harmless to 'most' kids.
prairiemommy's Avatar prairiemommy 01:54 PM 08-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by preemiemamarach View Post
As the parent of an immunocompromised child, I am shocked that someone would be so selfish as to risk my child's life because they don't feel like skipping a FESTIVAL when their kids have a very contagious illness.

My son is three, and he is essentially homebound. I have already lost the ability to earn an income because he is medically fragile. We take every precaution we can, and it severely limits our lives. Occasionally, I like to do something fun for my children that doesn't involve being in our own home.

You think it's hard to keep your kids home for a few weeks? Try three years. But we get the added fun of inpatient hospital stays whenever DS contracts an illness that's harmless to 'most' kids.
a million times over.
grumpybear's Avatar grumpybear 05:27 PM 08-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
A half-century of antibiotic availability and we've all forgotten than our grandmothers and great-grandmothers took childhood illnesses very seriously. And so we combine rejecting the modern medical answers (vaccines and antibotics) with adopting the modern attitudes towards illness (NO big deal! Take them out in public!). I think that's a dangerous combination of attitudes.
I agree.

I find the cavalier attitude towards disease disappointing especially coming from non-vax/selective vax households. I feel that while we are free to choose the appropriate path of healthcare for our families, we should also be responsible for the choices we make and not knowingly expose other people to harm.
EdnaMarie's Avatar EdnaMarie 05:34 PM 08-21-2010
Quote:
Red and bolding mine.
lalaland42 06:47 PM 08-21-2010
Last year, my DD got hand, foot, and mouth disease and was miserable for at least a week. As soon as I got the dx, I had to turn down a playdate for the following week with a friend (and MDC mom!) and her medically fragile DS. I was very disappointed and we moved out of the country shortly thereafter so I only see her on fb. I think it is easier to risk unknown medically fragile people, like my friend's DS because they are unknown people. OP, you should know that there are people undergoing cancer treatment everywhere in our society. Sadly, there are even children that fall under the umbrella of medically fragile, where a simple bug can be disastrous for them. Hand, foot, and mouth is highly contagious and not pleasant for a child with a robust immune system. For a child with a compromised immune system ->

Stay home, rent movies, have a sick family party. There will be other festivals.
pianojazzgirl's Avatar pianojazzgirl 12:57 AM 08-22-2010
I had HFM a couple of years ago and it was really horrible. I wouldn't ever knowingly expose anyone to that disease.
~Demeter~'s Avatar ~Demeter~ 01:17 AM 08-22-2010
I really can't believe this is a question here... If my kids have an illness and have visible symptoms regardless of fever status, we stay home. I expect other parents to grant me the same courtesy. If it's a small group of people and we are just getting over something, the kids are feeling well but still a little symptomatic I get the opinions of the other parents before showing up. I think it's rude to knowingly take your sick children to festival... that's not a necessary outing at all. Like others have said, a trip to the grocery store or something that is a necessity is one thing... a festival is another.
1  2

Up