Contagious Virus: Stay Home ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my kiddos have hand foot and mouth disease. Both had a fever tuesday. They are both acting just fine, no problems except 3 yr old has sores inside his mouth that do not hurt and DD has a diaper rash. We have a community festival thing me and my dh work out. Is it okay to take the kids? Or do you think that is a big no no. I am not germaphobic at all, I figure there is germs ever where so kids could catch it anywhere. so just curious what you all think? I think I should take them and just wash their hands frequently?

SAHM Michael 01-07 & Emmy 12-08
#2 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:44 PM

I would keep them home. Just because you're ok with their germs doesn't mean other people would be. I would be really upset if I caught something from your kids and found out you knew they were contagious and brought them to a crowded public event anyway.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#3 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If they are contagious PLEASE stay home.

#4 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:45 PM

I think you should stay in. It's one thing to go out with a sniffle, another entirely to go out knowing you are contagious with a major, named illness.

Meaghan (29)  Torq's wife (34); Niall's SAHM (9/09); Rivka's birthmom (6/03)
#5 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:45 PM

I'm always in the "Contagious = Stay Home" camp, personally. I know I'd be irritated if my healthy son caught something from your kids because you took them out while they were contagious.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#6 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:46 PM

If kids are contagious, they should stay home.

I agree - a case of the sniffles and I might go out but knowing my kids are contagious is just wrong. I would be really peeved if someone brought their kids out knowing they were putting others at risk.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#7 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 PM

I don't know how long hand, foot, mouth is contagious. Have you researched it? If they're still in the contagious period, you really should keep them home.
#8 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 PM

The child care at our gym had to close for a few days due to rampant hand, foot, and mouth disease. There is another gym in the same chain not to far away so all the mamas started going there while child care was closed. Then they had a huge outbreak.

Other moms will really appreciate you keeping them home until you're sure they are not contagious.
#9 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Think of all the parents that have taken all their sick leave this year and could get fired if they miss another day, but whose babysitter backup is out-of-town.

This disease is not the worst thing in the world but kids can't go to daycare with any kind of rash.

Please stay home. Sorry to hear about missing the fest, though. But think: you could be saving hundreds of work-hours, overtime hours, and children's perfect attendance records just by missing this one thing with a mere two kids! Imagine all the good you are doing, and celebrate by treating yourself... at home.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#10 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 PM

I also don't worry too much about germs when it comes to my kids but I would not knowingly take them out if I knew they were contagious. I'd worry about transmitting the disease to someone with a compromised immune system (think elderly, infant, etc.). Stay home, there's always another festival.

lather, rinse, repeat
#11 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 PM

We stay home when we are sick.
#12 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

I did research it.. and the problem is they are contagious for up to a month. That is a long time to quartine them.

SAHM Michael 01-07 & Emmy 12-08
#13 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 04:01 PM

I think it would be one thing if you absolutely positively had to get out to the drugstore or grocery store or something really necessary and you tried your very best to keep them contained in a stroller or something so they didn't get near anyone or touch anything, but a festival? No way. Keep them home.

Also, HFMD is most contagious the first week. It can remain in the body for weeks after symptoms disappear, but that first week poses the biggest risk for transmission.
#14 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post
If kids are contagious, they should stay home.

I agree - a case of the sniffles and I might go out but knowing my kids are contagious is just wrong. I would be really peeved if someone brought their kids out knowing they were putting others at risk.
Yes this.
#15 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnet24 View Post
I did research it.. and the problem is they are contagious for up to a month. That is a long time to quartine them.
To put it really bluntly, too bad. Like others have said, it's one thing to do a needed supply trip, but going to a busy public event? I guess if you're comfortable risking the health or life of an immunocompromised person that your kids won't, at any point, touch their mouths and then touch anything else, then go.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#16 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Imagine if a single mom had to quarantine her two kids after they caught it at the ONE EVENT they got to go to in the past year, and she lost her job because of it. Now THAT would suck. That would REALLY suck.

I'm sorry, but while I can understand how hard it is to tell kids, "Sorry, no festival," it is your responsibility to do so. Please do not consider it an option to expose toddlers with newborn siblings, sole breadwinners, etc. etc. for the sake of your family's enjoyment.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#17 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 PM

How did they get diagnosed with this disease? My son went to the ped when he was 2 with a sore throat. They dr. said "well, hand, foot and mouth disease has been going around. It's probably that." and then sent us on our way. The next day, his sore throat was gone and he was fine. I don't remember him suggesting that we avoid public places or anything...not that he bothered to accurately diagnose my son in the first place.

My personal rule is that if fever is gone for 24 hours and everyone feels well, we go back to normalcy. If I were worried about my child being contagious, I'd bring anti-bacterial wipes and sprays and use as necessary. I'd warn people "ds was sick earlier this week, so no hugs and kisses today." I'd watch closely and make sure that no cups and utensils are shared. No touching babies (which is a good rule anyway).

If someone is immuno-compromised and going to the fair, I'm guessing they'll be taking care to avoid germs already.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#18 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
It's also a long time for someone else to have to quarantine their kids because they caught it from yours...

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#19 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink gal View Post
The child care at our gym had to close for a few days due to rampant hand, foot, and mouth disease. There is another gym in the same chain not to far away so all the mamas started going there while child care was closed. Then they had a huge outbreak.

Other moms will really appreciate you keeping them home until you're sure they are not contagious.
I was about to post the same thing about my gym. Maybe we go to the same gym?

I have to agree with the majority and say that it really sucks but it would be best to stay home. "That one kid" that comes to preschool, childcare, etc with a contagious illness often starts a chain effect and makes a lot of people sick.
#20 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 04:43 PM

Your kids may have a mild case, but a child who catches it from yours may not be so lucky. It can get really bad in some cases. I'd keep them home this weekend.
#21 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post

My personal rule is that if fever is gone for 24 hours and everyone feels well, we go back to normalcy. If I were worried about my child being contagious, I'd bring anti-bacterial wipes and sprays and use as necessary. I'd warn people "ds was sick earlier this week, so no hugs and kisses today." I'd watch closely and make sure that no cups and utensils are shared. No touching babies (which is a good rule anyway).

If someone is immuno-compromised and going to the fair, I'm guessing they'll be taking care to avoid germs already.
1) Please, please don't use antibacterial wipes when dealing with a virus.

2) My sister, who is immunocompromised, still has to: get in a busy shared elevator, take the bus to the train station, take the subway, and go to work, and then back. And yes, she sometimes likes to go, you know, to fun things out in public. In one of the biggest cities in the US, even.

Mostly she's fine other than more coughs and colds than most experience. But then sometimes people cross her path with things like, oh, pertussis, which she had this past winter, and now, possibly TB. I guess she should quit her prestigious job and stay home 24/7 to remain well, which would be super fun for her because she also has mild CP and relies on a wheelchair to get around, because sometimes people don't have common decency to stay home when they're sick.

I'm sorry, but this topic irks me to no end. The responsibility isn't on the person who is immunocompromised to make sure your knowingly sick kids don't make them ill, it's on you.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#22 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 05:15 PM

I get that people need to be cautious. Also that it's unfair that immuno-compromised people are at higher risk. It may be more prudent to wait until the sores in the mouth are gone, but the fever's been gone for 3 days and her children feel fine. As a mom of 4, I cannot stay in the house for the entire possible time that my children may be contagious for a disease they may or may not have. So many times, people are contagious before they even have symptoms. Schools use the 24hour fever-free rule. I would not advise a mother to stay home for a month when I would not be able to do the same. I really doubt that anyone here would stay home for a month just because there's a possibility that their child could be contagious for up to a month. Most parent here would be sending their kids back to school when the fever is gone for 24hours and the child feels well.

Of course your sister (erinyay) should not have to stay home. She probably takes every precaution that she can reasonably take. Just as people who've been recently sick should do. Just as she has to go out in public, so does everyone else.

Also, I do believe clorox wipes do work to kill viruses...I say anti-bacterial, but clorox wipes are what I look for as soon as I enter the grocery store. If I don't use them, my child WILL be sick within the week from whatever germs were on the handle. I don't blame whoever was there before me. I just wipe the cart down and hope for the best. I don't go to McDonald's playland because my children WILL get a stomache virus soon after playing there. So, I don't go there or if I have to go there (to meet other people) I take lots of precautions.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#23 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
We stay home when we are sick.
We make this a rule at our house, too.
#24 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For hand, foot, and mouth disease, I would stay home for longer. We got it a couple years back from kids who had it the week prior, we had a play date early the next week, and at the end the mom casually mentioned the tidbit about HFM. Sure enough, we got it, and it was so miserable. If it were a regular cold and they had been fever free sine Tuesday then I'd be going out, but not this.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#25 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 05:32 PM

We were on the other side of this 2 weeks ago...big family vacation with my brothers, sis in laws, us, mom, kids & it was also part my Mom's 60th bday present. Rented a house together & a few nights before we leave, my niece & nephew have fevers & sores on their feet.

Not only was it too late to change plans or get any money back, but we had all saved for a year to be able to take this vacation & my dd1 is best friends with her cousins & was looking fwd to it more than anything...BUT we also have a 6 mos old who i would not want sick. and my sis in law & i are really close...so even though I didnt want my kids getting sick, I also still wanted us all to go. I called our Ped & she said that while it wasn't ideal, she would feel better about it if we waited 24 hrs from the end of their fevers if possible. so they came down late the 1st night & we had hoped our dd would be asleep but she wasn't so it was only about 18 hours from the end of their fevers...it's been 2 weeks & so far, nothing. but dd1 seemed warm yesterday so i am wondering but our Ped seems to think they would come down with it within 4-5 days of exposure.

I think the important factor is we had the knowledge of them being sick & were all able to make decisions. They didn't just show up for the vacation & then tell us or worse, not tell us at all, ya know?

Now-truth be told-HFM is everywhere kids are. It sticks on things that kids have touched before their parents even knew they were sick. BUT when you know your kids are sick, to bring them out somewhere doesn't give anyone else the choice as to whether or not they WANT to possibly get exposed. and you never know who is compromised.

sure-stuff happens, there are germs in the world that can't always be traced back to someone who knew they were sick & people spread stuff "accidentally", but if you do actually know they are sick-esp in the earlier stages of it, it'd be a lot cooler to limit their contact to others.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#26 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 05:35 PM

Yes but we're talking about one festival here. Is it absoutely necessary for the OP to bring her kids to a leisure activity where lots of other children will be attending and most probably going to be infected as well?
I do not believe a festival is something that is emergent in nature.
#27 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
what is your source of this information?

this absolutely does not sound right.

i can see this from a 1800s document. but not modern science.

our school policy is about a week. after all symptoms of fever and feeling sick are gone.

the carrier is really contagious the first week.

i would venture out after a week. not one second before.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#28 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 PM

The CDC website says: "Infected persons are most contagious during the first week of the illness. The viruses that cause HFMD can remain in the body for weeks after a patient's symptoms have gone away. This means that the infected person can still pass the infection to other people even though he/she appears well."

So, it does appear they may be contagious for a month. I would keep them home as much as possible for a few weeks.

Part-time L&D RN and Full-time Mama to Xander 4/01 & Carly 6/08
#29 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Of course you should keep them home, they are sick and still very contagious. Why would you want to expose other children just so that your family can go to a festival? Seems very selfish to me.
#30 of 49 Old 08-20-2010, 08:15 PM

Based on what I learned in nursing school about viruses, and what I learned from DS's pediatrician when he had HFAM, I would say that when the kids are fever free for 24 hours without medication, and the sores are gone, they are ok to go to the fair. Yes, the virus can be in your body for a month or longer, but 99.9% of the population will not be affected by that. I was in nursing school when DS had HFAM and his doctor told me that I should probably stay away from the NICU at the hospital, and L&D if I was really worried (but she wasn't) but that DS was fine to go back to school. He did just that, and no one else came down with it, so I guess it was sound advice.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page