growth on a gum in 8 yo? looks like a giant pimple - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-21-2010, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it is about 2.5mm in diameter, red, and looks like there are several whitish "heads" on its surface. It is painless, but causes some discomfort as it pushes into her lip (it is above her incisors).

Any one knows what it is, and how to treat? So far I asked her to swish some diluted mouthwash in her mouth. It has been there for about a week.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#2 of 16 Old 08-21-2010, 10:41 PM

Well, I would assume that it's an abcessed tooth, other than you said it's painless. I suggest a visit to the dentist.
#3 of 16 Old 08-21-2010, 10:41 PM

What does the incisor look like? A draining abscess looks like a pimple on the gum above or below an abscessed tooth.
Melinda
#4 of 16 Old 08-21-2010, 10:48 PM

Another vote for abscess. I would get him in to see a dentist ASAP. I had many painless abscesses as a child usually they are followed by a nasty toothache though since there is a cavity there.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 16 Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 PM

It is likely an abcess and needs to be looked at by a dentist.

My dd had an abcess on her incisor it was caused by one of her baby teeth not falling out while another tooth grew in behind it. It had to be pulled along with another tooth so her perma teeth wouldn't be messed up.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#6 of 16 Old 08-22-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks you for the replies! I never thought it was tooth related. It doesn't look like the gum is inflamed, but like a separate growth on the gum. Almost like a wart.

She does NOT have a cavity there, she was just at the dentists several weeks ago. I wonder if it her baby incisor, or a permanent one already. (I'm terrible at keeping track of which tooth is which )

We are visiting our dentist on the 31st again. I wonder if this is too long to wait. Ugh. The dentist is 5 hours away.

We will take her to a drop-in tomorrow.

Thanks again!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#7 of 16 Old 08-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Did they do xrays at her last dental appt? I ask because I had big weird bumps above both of my canine teeth that suddenly appeared when I was about 12, I think. They only hurt if I pushed on them. THey turned out to be my permanent teeth coming in above my baby teeth. Neither I or my parents realized I had never lost those baby teeth. I had to have the baby teeth pulled and braces to pull the permanent teeth down to where they belonged.
#8 of 16 Old 08-22-2010, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysmom2 View Post
Did they do xrays at her last dental appt? I ask because I had big weird bumps above both of my canine teeth that suddenly appeared when I was about 12, I think. They only hurt if I pushed on them. THey turned out to be my permanent teeth coming in above my baby teeth. Neither I or my parents realized I had never lost those baby teeth. I had to have the baby teeth pulled and braces to pull the permanent teeth down to where they belonged.
Yes, they did x-rays. The bump looks puss filled, though. Right now we are upping vitamin C, and we will take her in on Monday...

Thanks!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#9 of 16 Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 PM

If it bothers her my dd's dentist said rinses with warm saltwater might help a bit

#10 of 16 Old 08-23-2010, 05:24 AM

my dd had frequent abscesses on some baby teeth. they appear out of nowhere, and they don't automatically mean there is a cavity. She had very good dental hygiene, but not so great dental genes (from me) - and is prone to infection. We keep our eyes on her gums, and we go to the dentist as soon as we spy an abscess. I reluctantly say yes to the antibiotics because there really is no other logical treatment.

It hasn't happened in a couple years - since her last baby incisors fell out. She did ultimately have 5 baby teeth pulled out. Since we haven't had ongoing issues, we are hopeful that stage is over. Saltwater rinsing is highly recommended - but it's hard to convince her to do it.

Of course, I'm sure her wisdom teeth will be a lovely experience ... mine were impacted and infected - and it was rough recovery.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#11 of 16 Old 08-23-2010, 07:36 AM

I wanted to mention that an abscess is potentially very dangerous since they are so near the brain so abx are the answer in this case. (not aimed at you pp just something I wanted to put for any lurkers)

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#12 of 16 Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

So I think she has a gingival abscess. http://www.mdguidelines.com/gingival-abscess

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#13 of 16 Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 AM

I had that happen when I was a young child. I remember loving to scare people by smiling at them, and then letting the boil pop out from under my lip.

We never did anything about it, and it went away and never came back. I have great teeth, and never had any significant cavities.

I'm not recommending that you don't do anything, I'm just saying it may not be worst-case scenario, either.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#14 of 16 Old 08-23-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
I had that happen when I was a young child. I remember loving to scare people by smiling at them, and then letting the boil pop out from under my lip.

We never did anything about it, and it went away and never came back. I have great teeth, and never had any significant cavities.

I'm not recommending that you don't do anything, I'm just saying it may not be worst-case scenario, either.
Thanks! I talked to a friend, and she had this as a child too, and it resolved by itself. So far we are watching it, and see if we can wait until we see our dentist on the 31. She's taking extra vitamin C, propolis, and fish oil, for good measure

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#15 of 16 Old 08-23-2010, 04:17 PM

I think you should probably just call your dentist and see what they say.

#16 of 16 Old 08-23-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I think you should probably just call your dentist and see what they say.
Thanks! We called today. She said if there's no pain, not to worry about it. It is not something that they would treat at this point, they said. Just to keep an eye on it.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page