Celiac testing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds2 is 2 yrs old and has multiple food allergies. In addition to the allergies, he has an intolerance (no IgE antibodies) to bread products and oats. We've had him GF for most of his life. When he gets gluten, he cries most of the night and day, tosses and turns like he's having stomach pains. This lasts about 2 days. He is not prone to diarrhea at all. Could this be celiac??

The allergist is recommending testing for celiac, but I don't want him to be exposed to gluten long enough to get a positive test for antibodies. I'm strongly considering genetic testing, however.

It would be nice to rule out celiac since EGID is another possibility with him. If the test is positive for celiac, then I would like to get my other son tested since he's had digestive issues also. Both celiac disease and EGID run in families but a genetic test for celiac would be far less traumatic than testing for EGID. Ds2 will remain GF regardless of test results, but I'm not sure whether ds1 needs to be GF or not.

Any thoughts on this? How likely is it that the dr would agree to genetic testing vs testing for antibodies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Genetic testing is not conclusive either if it is negative as not all celiacs is geneticly detectable. Mt youngest DD has a wheat intolerance, we at this point treat it as if it is celiacs. She was blood tested at 18 months and it came back negative - but she had been off wheat for 6 weeks prior to see if it would help. At that point a biopsy was not an option as she was physicaly in to fragile a state and had other surguries that where of greater importance in the following months.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS, DD2 and I are all gluten intolerant. DD2 and I were tested for celiac prior to going gluten-free, and we were both negative. I haven't tested DS. We've been gluten free for over 2 years. At this point, I would not put DS back on gluten just to test him. If it runs in your family though, I would get the genetic testing. For us, no one else has had it that we know of in the family, so I'm figuring we're just intolerant, and may someday heal enough to have it again.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

User Tag List