Painful Bowel Movements for 3-year-old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has had pain with bowel movements since he was 14 months old, and we have successfully managed it on and off since then. He's on medication to soften his stool. Every now and then it works TOO well, and I have to lessen the amount, but then he's in pain again. What's contributing to the problem now is his fear of having a bowel movement, and he holds it in as long as he can. He typically doesn't have a bowel movement for about 4 or 5 days. I don't know how to address the psychological problem. I'm pretty sure that at this point a huge amount of the problem (perhaps all?) could be solved by his not holding it in for so long. The doctor has not been helpful about the psychological issue. We have ruled out any physical problem. But the medication alone is not solving the issue. He has just potty trained, which I had hoped would make things easier on him, but it hasn't. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any advice out there?
#2 of 2 Old 08-24-2010, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would probably seek a second opinion from the doc. Also, I think even if it is working 'too well' you should continue the dose so that he can begin to have some time with out pain. A way of breaking the cycle perhaps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page