Kidney Reflux - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-24-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi everyone
my 14 mo old daughter has just been diagnosed with stage 2-3 kidney reflux and the doc wants her on antibiotics for a year! any experience with this? i would so greatly appreciate any advice on how to handle this? thank you!
#2 of 4 Old 08-24-2010, 11:17 AM

Oh yes, BTDT, only our dd was only 3 mos when she was Dx'd. We struggled at first with antibiotics for so long... how could we do this to her, etc... but in the long run, it was the better of the two alternatives, AND even with a quick DX, and being on ABX from 3 months to two years old, she managed to have 2 additional break through infections before she was one. She had an allergic reaction to one antibiotic, and eventually managed to outgrow it on one side (is your DD unilateral or bilateral?? do you know any more about the structural issues causing the reflux?? ) our urologist is the top pedi urologist in our area, and was not a "jump to surgical or deflux" correction, which i agonized about at her diagnosis. but he felt the Abx. prophylaxis was the best option, so she eventually got to the point where she was old enough (in our case, almost 2.5) and off meds, and no further infections (knock wood)... BUT, she is closely followed regularly with ultrasounds, which i originally felt was a waste, but this last one discovered that one kidney had been not growing, so despite good kidney function tests, there is only one kidney giving those results (thank God for redundancy in creation!!) and we now must be extra cautious with our angel, in terms of sports as she gets older, carseat placement, etc...but i'd rather know that now than find out about it after a problem. she will be followed by the urologist every 2 years or so, unless she has problems before then... but we all feel the damage was done by a NASTY UTI. so, the bottom line is, antibiotics may have saved her life. she could have 2 malformed kidneys and need dialysis. but we chose to do ABX. for our daughter, and it was the best decision we could have made for her!!! good luck, i know it's not an easy decision, but consider the alternatives. you could research Deflux procedure if you are still against antibiotics....

GL!!

[SIZE="1"]Holly, slightly crunchy mama to my happy, energetic, sensitive Aiden (8/04) and My peanut girly girl, independent and proud Lillian (3/07)... Wife to my Jonathan, and a cancer SURVIVOR... now and forever!
#3 of 4 Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 PM

Check out this thread with links to many prior discussions about VCUG and kidney reflux.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...g#post13567720

Pat

I have a blog.
#4 of 4 Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 AM

DD has bilateral grade V reflux along with some other urinary complications, and we did the prophylactic antibiotics for 2 years. We eventually convinced our uro to let us try a trial period without abx. That was a year ago, and dd has done very well without them.

A lot of it really depends on the child and how strongly you personally feel about abx. We were originally willing to try them because dd kept getting UTIs over and over, but for us, abx were simply not affective, and dd continued to have multiple infections while on them. She also developed some gut and yeast issues from the constant abx use, so for us it made sense to take her off of them.

On the other hand, I know some parents whose children have done really well while on abx, and only developed UTIs during trial periods without them.

I suggest you talk to urologist about your concerns and see what other options you may have such as probiotics, Deflux or monthly urine testing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page