So confused with my body :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK So I've been really sick (particularly incredibly tired to the point of not functioning) for ~5 years now. And now I'm really confused about what's going on.

Aug 3: started elimination diet (no soy, gluten, corn)

Aug 4-7: felt worse than ever, nearly gave up diet

Aug 8-18: felt amazing, better than ever & finally functioning normally again!

Aug 19-22: had AF so felt a bit tired but especially more crampy & much more moody than usual the whole time (I usually don't get moody except occasionally the day before AF starts)

Aug 23-24: really really sick (fever, sore throat, couldn't move) but had to take care of DS so I didn't get to rest quite as much as I should have

So now it's the 28th & I'm still feeling run-down. I would think I'd be recovered from Monday's illness by now??? The worst was over in 24 hours & I was symptom-free (except tired) by Wed. morning. Is it normal to still be tired 4-5 days after an illness? DS had what I *think* was the same illness & he was better right away.

It is really, really hard for me to stick to the elimination diet when I don't feel better on it anymore. I had been hoping to reintroduce food this week but obviously couldn't since I was sick. I don't know if it was just a fluke that the diet helped so much for 2 weeks, and now I'm just back to square one??? I don't know what's going on with my body, why am I so exhausted when just last week I was feeling better than I had in years?? I was so excited when the diet seemed to be working & now I'm just scared that I'm doomed to a life of not functioning.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 7 Old 08-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Your body might not have had time to recover fully from your cold. I was sick the same days, Monday being my worst. Same symptoms! I'm still tired and not recovering well. It's hard when you have kids to take care of and are unable to fully focus on healing.

Take care. Keep up with the elimination diet. I went gluten free and vegan, and felt awful, then wonderful (well, not wonderful, bc I am still ill, but not as sick?). It will be worth it. Try resting more, and upping your fluid intake. Eat some healthy foods, and work on getting better before you start adding things back in.

Good luck!

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#3 of 7 Old 08-28-2010, 02:47 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
See if you can find the book "The Yeast Connection."

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#4 of 7 Old 08-28-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Nicole I'm glad to hear you had what sounds like the same illness & also aren't recovering well (of course I'm not glad you're feeling badly -- just glad that it could just be this particular illness kicking me down!) I'm sticking to the diet (grudgingly) and trying to rest whenever I feel the need & am able to...

I'll check into The Yeast Connection too!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 7 Old 08-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Thanks. It is a nasty bug. I was so achey, and my throat hurt very badly. Monday night, I could barely make it into bed. Once I was there, even the blanket on me hurt. My husband caught it, along with the kids. He never gets sick, and he is still fighting it. I think it just takes down your system pretty hard. I have a cyst on my head that's been there for 12 years now, and it started become painful and swollen on Wednesday. That's the reason I'm browsing the forum right now. I didn't realize it was connected, but I think my body is having a hard time. I'm having Brian bring home lots of vitamin c and tea tree oil.

But yeah. I haven't done anything all week, and the poor kids are bored as heck. I feel you.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#6 of 7 Old 08-28-2010, 09:43 PM

This particular virus is BRUTAL. It is kicking most everyone's butt's. Be gentle with yourself. It sounds like you had a decent die off/detox what have you for a couple days and felt great afterwards, so even though you feel wretched hopefully you're better off than you would have been eating foods that didn't quite agree with you.
#7 of 7 Old 08-28-2010, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

I hope you are right... I guess I'm just scared. Every time I feel a funny twinge in my body I have a little flashback to all those years of being so sick. I just haven't had enough time on the diet yet to feel confident in it's ability to keep me well. I think you are right that I'm still better off than if I were eating those foods. I mostly rested today but I was able to cook & do a small project -- I couldn't have done either of those things before I started on this diet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page