Really need help regarding DH's symptoms UPDATE: NEED ADDITIONAL HELP!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH has been sick for about 10 days now and doesn't seem to be improving at all. Basically during the day he has a low-grade fever, chills, sweating buckets, headache and dizziness. Once it gets towards evening his fever starts to climb and then all night he has a really high fever and is just burning up feeling horrible. My morning it subsides a bit back into the previously mentioned symptoms but then goes right back up again. Last night his fever got up to 103.6. There is no cough, no vomitting, no signs of a rash anywhere. Any input you can offer is appreciated! I am starting to get really worried.

UPDATE: Okay, the doctors are baffled as well, especially the part where it gets so much worse at night. One thing they did find is blood in his urine so they are thinking possible kidney infection. BUT - he has not had any pain at all or urgency or burning or anything of the sort. They told him it is very rare to have a kidney infection without those symptoms. They took 8 vials of blood and have scheduled him for an ultrasound of his kidneys/bladder/prostate this Wednesday. So my question is - have you ever heard of someone having a kidney infection with absolutely NO symptom other than fever??

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Has he seen a doctor? 10 days with symptoms like you're describing sounds like a visit to a Dr is in order.
#3 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

We don't have a family doctor but he is going to a clinic after work. Unfortunately the clinic doctors around here aren't always that good so we are trying to get some ideas on what this could be.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#4 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 PM

That's a high fever for an adult. I hope they diagnose the problem and give him something to fight off whatever type of infection he has. It could really be anything. I used to get fevers all the time and never knew what the heck it was. Finally I learned that I have diverticular disease and was having multiple bouts of diverticulitis. I had some minor abdominal pain, though which eventually became very severe (years later).

It could be the flu. I've had the flu for 10 days with fevers that went up and down, but I don't think the fever ever got that high.
#5 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM

I don't believe in using western medicine except in cases of broken bones or emergencies, but after 10 days I would be worried too. Have you looked up rocky mountain spotted fever? The fact that it worsens at night leaves me stumped. Have you been bolstering his immune system with sodium ascorbate and vitamin d? I would always give GSE drops in OJ with any immune imbalance. I take 7 drops in a shot glass of OJ (OJ is only thing I have found that masks taste, and be sure to stir it off bottom until it is drunk, it sinks to bottom of glass and sticks... twice daily, and then another plain shot of OJ for a chaser to kill the taste, when I think there is something living in me that I don't want. I weigh 120, up it for his weight. I am not a homeopath or ND or health professional btw.... I would suggest using the clinic to find out what it might be, but then developing a plan for treatment based on immune support/homeopathy/ natural medicine. Or if there is a natural doctor in your area, seek out their diagnosis first. But I agree 10 days of an illness is time to get help with it. We are never sick more than 2 days. If an adult had a fever over 101 for more than 5 days, that would be rule of thumb to seek outside help IMO.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#6 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

bump

#7 of 8 Old 08-31-2010, 01:33 AM

It's some kind of infection I'd say.
If it were me, I'd get some olive leaf and take 3 capsules every 3-4 hours until it clears.
I've seen this work wonders in so many ppl when there is unexplained symptoms such as these with fever and chills etc.
Good luck, and keep us posted!
#8 of 8 Old 08-31-2010, 03:08 AM

I haven't read any of the responses, but I know that in a child that has a high fever with NO other symptoms a doctor should always suspect kidney infection. It's really not that uncommon in children. My daughter has had quite a few kidney infections because of a condition she has (vesicoureteral reflux) and in at least 2 of them she had no other symptoms other than fever.

Don't know if the same rule applies to adults. Good luck with the testing on Wednesday. At least with an u/s you should be able to get pretty quick results.

I hope your DH is feeling better soon! Keep us posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page