Hair loss, no hair growth in 3.5 year old, plus "cradle cap" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-06-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 3.5 years old. It's become apparent lately that her hair is abnormal.

She has had what I can only imagine is cradle cap since she was about a year or so old. But by that time she had enough hair to cover it up, so I didn't really worry about it. It's on the very top of her head, not near the hairline. I thought she would grow out of it, but that hasn't happened.

Her hair grows sooooooo slowly. Her first (and only) haircut was in April of this year, and it was to her shoulders. Now I look at pictures of her after her haircut, and I can see it hasn't grown more than maybe a quarter of an inch, if at all, in five months.

Lately I've noticed that she has hair loss near her hairline in the front. She wears barrettes on each side of her head to keep the hair out of her face. It's possible that when she pulls the barrettes out (they slide down and dangle), that she's also pulling a little bit of hair out, and it adds up. Also, her little brother is a vicious hair-puller, and on many occasions she's gotten too close and he's pulled fistfulls of hair out. It doesn't seem to hurt her, though, which is really odd. It just seems easy in general for her hair to break. All of this hair loss has added up, and in the front it's really thin, and there is actual stubble there. If feel it, her head feels stubbly, and if you look at her a little closely, it looks like stubble. It's so weird. I'm glad that there is still hair there, but at the rate her hair grows (it doesn't), I'm worried she'll end up all stubbly.

Otherwise she's as healthy as a horse. Hasn't been sick since February of 2009. She is tiny for her age (genetics, I assume). She's about thirty pounds and very short.

Any advice? Are the cradle cap and slow hair growth related? (To clarify, the scales aren't where the hair loss is.) Is slow hair growth indicative of anything, health-wise? How can I cure the icky scales, and make her hair grow?

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 PM

My 5-yo have a similar thing with the hair. Her hair doesn't fall out (she doesn't pull it and doesn't have any pulling brothers)..but it grows SO SLOWLY. I mean, so slowly..and it's super, super thin. For the longest time you could easily see her scalp. It's a bit thicker now, but not much. She's only had one haircut in her entire life..that was probably a year ago and it's only grown maybe an inch since then. She's also tiny...around 41 lbs at 5 1/2.

Our dr. said to give her cod liver oil, which we've been doing and it definitely seems to have made a difference. So, does making sure she gets plenty of good nutrient-dense foods.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#3 of 3 Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 PM

I've known several children IRL with the hair and growth issues and they've all since been dx with celiac disease.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page