I can't get rid of yeast rash! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My LO will be 5 months on Thursday and we've been battling several bouts of yeast rashes. This is rash #3 (first two were on his butt and treated with anti-fungal cream). The third rash started on his back, between his shoulder blades...ended up in his butt crack and above it, and on the bald spot on the back of his head. It just seems to spread. I've been treating with monistat 7 cream (per recommendation of dr.) 3x/day for the last two weeks, but as new spots keep arising, it's hard to keep track of how long I've been treating a particular area...

Why is he so susceptible to yeast? How can I prevent it? And, what do I need to do next, because it's driving me nuts!! I find it weird it's on his back side and wonder if the heat and humidity of the summer brings it from sitting and sweating in his carseat or sleeping...

DS1: Noah Christopher 4.9.10, 6lbs, 14oz, 20in-And still Nursing!!  

TTC #2

#2 of 19 Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 PM

Is he totally breastfed? Any solids at all? If he's eating any solids, then I would eliminate them.

I would also look into baby probiotics to help get his gut back in balance.

As far as the rash goes, when my daughter had a yeast rash, I ended up using lotrim on it, and that cleared it up. If you wanted to try herbals, you could mix a drop or two of tea tree oil in olive or coconut oil and spread that on his back. I wouldn't use tea tree oil anywhere near his face or hands or any body parts he might touch and then put his hands in his mouth, but his back seems pretty safe.

Good luck!

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#3 of 19 Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

He is exclusively breastfeed...we haven't started any solids and I plan to hold off as long as possible. What does olive oil/tea tree do? I just bought a new tube of micognoizol (sp) (whatever is in monistat 7) cream and have been using that and it's not clearing up.

I have probiotics that I was giving him after I had mastitis and was on an anti biotic cuz it killed both our systems. If I start giving it to him again, will the yeast clear up or is it just preventitive?

TTC #2

#4 of 19 Old 09-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Recurrent yeast rashes are usually a systemic issue so need to be treated both externally and internally. I would def restart the probiotics for him and you.

Externally I don't think harsh antifungals are the way to go with a delicate 5 month old. It doesn't sound like it is working to well anyway.

Here are somethings that are effective and more natural that you could try externally:

colloidal silver
tea tree oil/olive oil mixture
coconut oil
apple cider vinegar (mixed with water in a 50/50 ratio)

the things that have worked the best for us have been apple cider vinegar and colloidal silver. Tea tree oil and coconut always helped, but the rash always returned. If you don't deal with the root internal cause as well, the rash will recur.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 19 Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 PM

I know this isn't the most natural, but I remember my ped saying that some yeast is resistant to the common otc anti fungals. Does your ped know that it's not working, cna he prescribe something else?

I agree with pp re-probiotics. or even yogurt/ breastmilk yogurt if you are comfortable with that.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#6 of 19 Old 09-08-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

What is Collidal Silver and where can I get it?

TTC #2

#7 of 19 Old 09-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjuanja View Post
What is Collidal Silver and where can I get it?
http://colloidalsilveruse.com/

I get mine at a local health food store, This is what I use, http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...LAID=293851416 but you can get it online as well. You want to get a product that is at least 10ppm (10 parts per million) in strength. I just used it to cure a ear infection in DS after the doc told me I needed antibiotics. The next time his ears were looked at the doc said "Ive never seen his ears looking so good"

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 19 Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 PM

If it is the first time you have gotten a yeast related rash it is much more difficult to know the right yeast infection rash cures. Those who have it before are fairly good at diagnosing it and treating it easily. However, if you are new to it is better to take the right measures to cure it properly.

What is a yeast infection rash and why does it occur? A yeast infection rash is the overgrowth of yeast in your body, known also as candida albicans. The main symptoms are an increase in yeast rash, itching and burning of vagina, oral thrush, baby diaper rash, and many more. Few people realize that yeast is present in all our bodies in a certain amount which is inoffensive for our health. However, certain conditions trigger its growth and candida albicans is the result.

A cure for yeast infection rash may be imposed. Let untreated, it will become systemic and your health will get worse, even life-threatening for AIDS sufferers. Most of yeast sufferers rush to the pharmacies and take some cream or ointment for yeast rash. But, this is effective for short term, as it treats yeast only locally. A further look at your life-style and diet will pay great rewards.

The most important thing you have to remember from this article is that sugar and sugary products are the main cause of yeast overgrowth and yeast rash. Nowadays our diet is rich in sugar, from products which we have no-clue how much sugar contains . Is estimated that we eat 14kg of sugar per year, while a century ago we ate only 6kg per year. Our body cannot change so fast to process the huge amount of sugar we eat. Every time you have a sign of yeast infection, the best way to get rid of it is to cut the sugar and honey from our diet.

Another big reason for yeast infection rash is taking the antibiotics for different reasons. Also the levels of antibiotics in our body could occur from unsuspected sources, as from meat and even tap water due to farming. If you suffer from repetitive yeast infections or yeast rashes, than a diet based of fish and fresh organic fruits and vegetables will be advisable.

I am a mother of three children.  Two sons:  R - 03/09/96, W - 27/12/98 and one daughter:  M - 15/05/06
Weight Loss and Metabolism Mentor
#9 of 19 Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM

I'd be careful with the tea tree oil as far as diluting it enough goes. Tea tree and lavender oils have both been shown to have hormonal effects on little boys (causing breast growth): Basically, something that powerful isn't necessarily safe on babies just because its natural.

My son had a yeast rash at 3 weeks. What worked for us was getting it completely and totally dry with every diaper change -- we used a hair dryer on low and held far from his tiny little butt. Then we used Nystatin cream on the totally dry areas and let *That* dry completely before closing it all back up in his diaper and clothes.. Once we got rid of it that way, it never came back.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#10 of 19 Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
I'd be careful with the tea tree oil as far as diluting it enough goes. Tea tree and lavender oils have both been shown to have hormonal effects on little boys (causing breast growth): Basically, something that powerful isn't necessarily safe on babies just because its natural.

My son had a yeast rash at 3 weeks. What worked for us was getting it completely and totally dry with every diaper change -- we used a hair dryer on low and held far from his tiny little butt. Then we used Nystatin cream on the totally dry areas and let *That* dry completely before closing it all back up in his diaper and clothes.. Once we got rid of it that way, it never came back.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc070572

as with all studies, one needs to actually read them and look at it's flaws.

#11 of 19 Old 09-09-2010, 12:33 PM

My son had a persistant rash under his chin when he was a baby, and it turned into a yeast rash eventually. We tried all kinds of things. What finally got rid of it was to use Grapefruit Seed Extract. I would dilute some in warm water and wash his skin several times with it. It cleared up quickly. Good luck!

~S~ Mom to W ('04) & D ('05) & in April
#12 of 19 Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc070572

as with all studies, one needs to actually read them and look at it's flaws.
Always true.
But at the same time, it is wise not to trust to the safety of something just because it is a natural oil, yes? We're so incredibly careful about what, if any, medications we use and what chemicals we have around our children, but in the end, TTO is, in fact, a compound of chemicals as well, and if we believe in its efficacy, we also need to remember that that which is effective can also be harmful to the young, or to anyone in large enough quantities.

I'd be interested in seeing more safety research on TTO and young babies, especially applied to their bare skin or even diaper regions, before I would use any more than very small and not-often applications.
Agreed?

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#13 of 19 Old 09-09-2010, 02:44 PM

Probiotics are a must!

I found Nutriboitic Grapefruit seed extract mixed with Distilled water worked great!!! Make a batch in a spray bottle and spray it down with every diaper change, let it dry all the way and then diaper him back up.

Don't forget to treat the laundry as well!

look at some of the thrush remedies, they may be helpful.
Dr. Jay Gordon or Dr. Jack Newman
#14 of 19 Old 09-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Did you have abx during labor (for group b strep, maybe)? I've had abx a few times during labor and have always had a baby with a diaper rash within 2-3 days. I just give them some probiotics mixed with breastmilk via syringe about 3 times a day orally. Works to clear in a day or so. Sorry, but I've no luck with the mother taking the probiotics and hoping to pass it on to the baby via breastmilk.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#15 of 19 Old 09-09-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

According to my pediatrician, probiotics do not pass from mother to baby if mother takes them, the baby needs their own dose. How do you treat the laundry? I'm assuming as long as the rash is present, we should only use onsies once or anything that touches the rash, to not re-wear before washing? What about his towels?

The rash seems less red and prominent today. I re-started probiotics yesterday and have been giving them to DS as well. I've continued to apply anti-fungal in the meantime because I don't have other stuff and heard SO MANY suggestions, just not sure where to start and don't want to spend a ton of money on stuff. It seemed to intensify the other night when I put him fleece jammies (it was terrible the next morning). So, we did cotton last night in layers cuz it's cool at night.

Any idea how long it should take to treat? How long should he continue getting probiotics?

TTC #2

#16 of 19 Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM

To treat the laundry you was it in HOT water When we were dealing with thrush I would boil all the bras and burp rags. Then I would use vinegar in the rinse cycle or about 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract.

The GSE is pretty inexpensive and it lasts forever and has many uses. It took a few days to clear it up.
#17 of 19 Old 09-09-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegirloneboy View Post
Probiotics are a must!

I found Nutriboitic Grapefruit seed extract mixed with Distilled water worked great!!! Make a batch in a spray bottle and spray it down with every diaper change, let it dry all the way and then diaper him back up.

Don't forget to treat the laundry as well!

look at some of the thrush remedies, they may be helpful.
Dr. Jay Gordon or Dr. Jack Newman
How do I make a batch?? What is the proportion of water to extract? It's actually more so on his back than his butt...

TTC #2

#18 of 19 Old 09-10-2010, 02:51 PM

The directions are on the bottle. It is a different proportion for the topical spray, laundry treatment, fruit wash......
You can spray it on his back and let it air dry or just rub it with a cotton ball.
Hope you get it cleared up soon!!!
#19 of 19 Old 09-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
Always true.
But at the same time, it is wise not to trust to the safety of something just because it is a natural oil, yes? We're so incredibly careful about what, if any, medications we use and what chemicals we have around our children, but in the end, TTO is, in fact, a compound of chemicals as well, and if we believe in its efficacy, we also need to remember that that which is effective can also be harmful to the young, or to anyone in large enough quantities.

I'd be interested in seeing more safety research on TTO and young babies, especially applied to their bare skin or even diaper regions, before I would use any more than very small and not-often applications.
Agreed?
Agreed, however I would not hesitate to use TTO properly diluted with a carrier oil on my baby for acute issues (ie once in a while...not alot and not all the time or long term/daily)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page