Adrenals or Bipolar? :| - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-11-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have suffered from a sort of low grade depression always (even as a little kid). A worrier, easily hurt, low self esteem, etc. However, since being pregnant 7 years ago, it has been hell.

Basically, I am completely unable to handle stress. I lose it. I feel angry, I feel panicked. And we aren't talking things like earthquakes or car crashes. We are talking too much noise in the house, irritating music, any kind of chaos, burning dinner, etc. Basically, everyday normal family life. I also suffer from depression a lot of the time. Like being enveloped by a black cloud. Yeah, I'm a barrel of fun. My poor family.

I've taken lots of drugs, but the side effects are always horrid. They do seem to make stress easier to deal with but I still get a mild depression. Anyway, the doctor has suggested it could be a form of bipolar (without any mania...instead just irritability). I went to a doctor who deals with adrenal/thyroid issues recently, and he tested me for everything. He said I'm anemic (not sure how), low in zinc and my adrenals were depressed (normal reading in evening).

Now I'm starting on adrenal support stuff (herbs, vitamins, pregnenolone). Has anyone had any experience with that? Any idea how long it takes to feel better, and will it really get rid of the irritability?

This GD disease (whatever it may be) has cost me so much. Years of happiness, the chance at having a second child....now it may very well cost me my family too because I just can't hold it together.
#2 of 5 Old 09-12-2010, 05:03 PM

I was just recently diagnosed as bipolar. I just want to let you know that you are not alone! I feel exactly like you especially the "poor family" feeling and the cost of the disease! I don't have any advice but I certainly will let you know how my course of "help" goes. No meds yet for me, just therapy. I'll share what I learn.
Good luck! And know you are not alone!

DS1-08/12/2007 DS2-06/24/2009
#3 of 5 Old 09-12-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

I don't understand where bipolar comes from. I know that sounds daft. But how on earth does one develop it? I don't want it!! Does the brain truly just malfunction, or is it actually something else I'm wondering. Something less mysterious like too much X or not enough Y. I really wish they'd research mental disorders more. Things like this can't just develop, can they??
#4 of 5 Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommahhh View Post
Something less mysterious like too much X or not enough Y. I really wish they'd research mental disorders more. Things like this can't just develop, can they??
It's not as though there's a lack of research, but "too much X or not enough Y" simply isn't going to capture it, any more than "lack of serotonin" explains the utility of SSRIs in depression. Bipolar I certainly has a strong genetic component, but a search for teleology isn't likely to go anywhere. There are a whole lot of things that can "just develop," and the brain isn't exempt.
#5 of 5 Old 09-12-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
There are a whole lot of things that can "just develop," and the brain isn't exempt.
Well hell.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page