Injured Loose Tooth in 3 Year Old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're away from home in NY right now and my three year old was playing with his cousin last night and had an accident. He fell and smacked his teeth on the back of his cousin's head and has a loose front tooth as a result. It bled for a while and seems to have set a bit since last night and isn't as loose today, very minimal bruising. Is there a chance that his tooth won't fall out? Everyone keeps saying that since it's a baby tooth and he's young it'll "reset". We're planning to take him to the dentist once we get back home.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#2 of 3 Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 PM

Having been to the ER with my daughter because of a similar accident involving her 2 front teeth, I can tell you that it's a toss-up. If the tooth is back in place, either it will heal and fall out in its own time (or a little bit earlier than normal) or the root will die and the tooth will fall out. I was told by the ER doc and a pediatric dentist that there isn't anything more to do than wait and see.

Dd's teeth stayed intact (although they gave her an 85% chance of losing both) and fell out several weeks prior to her adult teeth emerging.

HTH!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#3 of 3 Old 11-13-2010, 05:43 AM

Hey Katie - I'd love to hear an update about what happened with your son's tooth! My 3 1/2 year old fell last week and bumped her mouth and at the time I didn't think much of it as she cried for only a bit and was easily distracted - no bleeding or bruising. However I noticed last night that one of her top front teeth is a little bit loose. She seems FAR too young for a real loose tooth, especially a top one, and when I touched it she said, "No, that's my hurt tooth." I will call the dentist this week (of course I discovered this on a Friday night!) but I am curious if your son kept his tooth. It's not discolored and the gum looks normal, it's just a bit more "wiggly" than the other teeth. I am worried about it, of course, and I'm also concerned because (confession alert) she still uses her pacifier for nap and night and if the tooth will firm back up, I hope it won't be sticking out further!

Maybe I'm overthinking this - how did your tooth saga resolve?

Thanks!

Erin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page